Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company expenses

Options
  • 07-10-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

If I have a company and I hire a contrator, can I put his invoice on the company expenses and get the 52% back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

what 52%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Need a bit more detail there

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Presume you mean.....

You pay a contractor for doing work for your company out of your own pocket and then have your company reimburse you personally for the expense incurred?

No problem with that but you cannot reclaim the VAT portion of the invoice as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

Ok Imagine my Limited Company wants to calculate my salary for this month.

During this month I hired a contractor for 15 days and I paid his invoice.

On my salary calculations I also invoiced one client and I want to take the most money as I can as my salary.

Because I'm above the 3900€ margin per year I have to pay 40% plus PAYE, PRSI, USC, and all together makes 52% of the gross salary (the total of my invoice without VAT).

Can I include the full amount of the contractors invoice on my company expenses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Short answer, NO. You and your company are two separate tax and legal entities. The only way you could do this is by trading as a sole trader, in which case you and the business activity are a single entity from a legal and taxation standpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi OP

If you are having difficulty getting your head around this then you should speak to your accountant.

But if you want to claim the subcontractor payment as an expense of the company then the company has less profits to pay out to you as a salary. This therefore means the company will be paying less payroll taxes on the salary. But this is only because there is less profits in the company to begin with and there is therefore less salary. Personally I would rather have more profits and pay more tax then have no profits and pay no tax.

I think the question that you are really asking is if you should put through an invoice or not. And I think you should know the answer to that already tbh.

Dbran

Advertisement