Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daytime cooking class

Options
  • 07-10-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I'm looking for something for my partner's birthday. I'm trying to arrange a day out for him and his friends and I want to slot in a pastry/pizza/burrito (something fun) making class - only something that goes on for an hour or so. The only problem is I can't seem to find anywhere in Dublin that does this.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
    Tufterween

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is better suited to the Dublin City forum.

Moved from the The Cooking Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Have a look here:
    http://www.cooksacademy.com/Short-Courses/1_2_Day/?type=grid&pageNumber=1
    I know our company did a few evenings out here for our sports and social.
    I never went, but I heard good reports from it.

An hour is probably too short and most will be around 2 to 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I did an evening class at Dublin Cookery School in Blackrock. Bought it as a bday present for my wife.
    They do a decent variety of classes, and you get to eat the grub and have a glass of wine after.
    Although I think their Saturday classes are all day long, might not be what you're after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Flavour of Italy out at the Bluebell Luas stop does lovely lunchtime cooking classes at the weekend. I've done the pizza & rice classes before. It's lots of fun and I'd love to do it as part of a party! (not that I'm hinting for an invite, much)

They're owned by the same people who own Pinocchio in Ranelagh so the food is good (even if you do make it yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Dublin Cookery School in Blackrock have an evening Spice Trail class coming up. I did a bread course with them and was impressed.

Café Azteca on Duke Street do Mexican cookery lessons. I've not tried them yet but it might be what you are looking for. Food there is delicious, probably the best Mexican I've found in Dublin. www.azteca.ie

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Café Azteca on Duke Street do Mexican cookery lessons. I've not tried them yet but it might be what you are looking for. Food there is delicious, probably the best Mexican I've found in Dublin. www.azteca.ie

+1 to Café Azteca! I've done a cooking class there and it was really good. It's nice too because if you have a group you'll basically have the place to yourself. I'd be pretty sure that if you were to get in tough they'd tailor a class for you if you wanted to make burritos or something

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tufterween

Thanks a million everyone for the response. I'm sure I'll find something out of the suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Flavour of Italy out at the Bluebell Luas stop does lovely lunchtime cooking classes at the weekend. I've done the pizza & rice classes before. It's lots of fun and I'd love to do it as part of a party! (not that I'm hinting for an invite, much)

They're owned by the same people who own Pinocchio in Ranelagh so the food is good (even if you do make it yourself)

Can I ask what the pizza course was like? I'm interested in doing one but so far all I've come across is Ballymaloe's pizza course but Cork is a long way for me to travel for a 3 hour course so Dublin and surrounds would suit better. I'm interested in learning to make authentic pizza using Neapolitan methods so am after a course that will show that and perhaps also about making foccacia bread too.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'm interested in learning to make authentic pizza using Neapolitan methods so am after a course that will show that and perhaps also about making foccacia bread too.

It might not suit you so, the one I attended we didn't make the dough (although were given a recipe for it that I haven't used), it was more about forming the different types of pizzas, making a plaited loaf thing and a couple more dishes then eating everything. Saying that, it was a lunch course with an emphasis on having fun and eating so they might do 'proper' dough making type courses too.

Somewhere that might be worth a gander for that type of course is the Baking Academy in Palmerstown, I know it's run by the guy who used to run the Baking culinary arts degree in DIT

http://www.bakingacademyireland.ie/

This is slithering off topic a bit but Muahahaha this pizza dough video from Flavour of Italy popped up on my facebook feed just now! Life is weirdly coincidental at times...

http://m.independent.ie/videos/life/video-how-to-make-your-own-pizza-dough-from-scratch-30634482.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is slithering off topic a bit but Muahahaha this pizza dough video from Flavour of Italy popped up on my facebook feed just now! Life is weirdly coincidental at times...

http://m.independent.ie/videos/life/video-how-to-make-your-own-pizza-dough-from-scratch-30634482.html

Laughing my ass off here because I just literally watched it on the Indo 10 minutes ago and the vid reminded me to come here to hear your feedback on his courses ! I was only thinking myself watching it how life is coincidental and now here you are saying the same thing !

Anyway having seen the video I reckoned its not for me, for one any Youtube vids I see of Neapolitan pizza making using olive oil is an absoute no-no for most of the bakers I've seen. And using a rolling pin and not your hands to stretch the dough would be sacrilege for these guys ! Thanks for the feedback on it, I might still do some courses there down the line if their €99/pick 3 courses offer comes up on Groupon but otherwise I need a pizza course that is more technical and hands on. I'll take a look at the Palmerstown place, hopefully they might cover it.

Advertisement