Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone charging cable - Which 3rd party ones work ?

• 07-10-2014 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I know a while back Apple blocked 3rd party charging leads from working ( if you turn the phone off and charge it worked )

Are they still blocking 3rd party leads ?

Does any 3rd party lead work or to you have to buy official apple leads ?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Amazon's own lightning cables have been great for me, never an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Probably not much good to you but I bought 2 spares in Zhivago Galway a few weeks ago for €4.99 each and they work perfectly! They look identical to the official cable and even came in packaging very closely resembling the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Amazon's own lightning cables have been great for me, never an issue.

Do you have a link to the you one bought ? loads of different ones on Amazon when i search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Belkin worked well for me. There was an Irish seller on eBay with fast delivery. From memory a lightning cable in original packaging was less than a tenner delivered.

basill wrote: »
    Belkin worked well for me. There was an Irish seller on eBay with fast delivery. From memory a lightning cable in original packaging was less than a tenner delivered.

this guy ?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/FOR-APPLE-IPHONE-5-5S-5C-USB-LIGHTNING-DATA-SYNC-CHARGE-CABLE-LEAD-CORD-BELKIN-/301190614370?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item46205c0d62

• Advertisement

Just a slight hijack on this but does anyone know of any 3rd party lightening to 30 pin adapters which will allow full usability of a parrot mki9200 with the iPhone 6?

I'd rather pay the 30 euro for the official one and be done with it than waste money trying 3rd party ones (and maybe end up buying the official one anyway) unless someone has one which has worked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

NeVeR wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the you one bought ? loads of different ones on Amazon when i search.

Look for the AmazonBasics cable, it's Amazon's own brand.

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Look for the AmazonBasics cable, it's Amazon's own brand.

Cheers found it.. didn't know they had an own brand like that.

thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bought mine in the €2 shop on George's street. So far works on our iPad air and iPhone 6. Worked on my 5 previously too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

No but their feedback looks ok. Think my guy was only just starting out and had only sold a few hundred items. The packaging that mine came in was exactly the same as the pictures on your link though. If its a fake then its a very reliable one and someone went to a lot of effort!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Got the €2 3 metre one a while back from Nifty spot and it doesn't give the 'this cable might not work' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

NeVeR wrote: »
    I know a while back Apple blocked 3rd party charging leads from working ( if you turn the phone off and charge it worked )

Are they still blocking 3rd party leads ?

Does any 3rd party lead work or to you have to buy official apple leads ?

thanks.

This site has just reviewed lightning cables:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lightning-cable/

Sadly their recommended one doesn't seem to be available here, but the second best rated one is on Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭try

iniall wrote: »
    This site has just reviewed lightning cables:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lightning-cable/

Sadly their recommended one doesn't seem to be available here, but the second best rated one is on Amazon.co.uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=monoprice+lightning&sprefix=Monoprice+lightning%2Caps%2C1045&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amonoprice+lightning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Simon201 wrote: »
    Got the €2 3 metre one a while back from Nifty spot and it doesn't give the 'this cable might not work' thing.

Although I'm not a fan of this site I've got the same cable (€3.50 at time of this post, excl shipping) As said works and no warnings (iPhone 5/5s/6+/iPad air). Any MFI certified cable will work though.
    http://niftyspoteu.com/products/sale-of-the-week/3-metre-usb-cable-for-iphone5-and-ipad-mini.html?

cheers lads.

loads of options for me.

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Apple might only block the ones which are not certified by them ... so a lot of third party options which are 100% safe (just make sure they are certified, which all mainstream brands should be).

What I would avoid are the very cheap no-name ones. Not only Apple could block them, but a couple of websites have disassembled them and shown they could damage your phone/charger ... and they can be very fragile.

I have this one which I got for slightly cheaper than the Apple one and I really like (it doubles as a micro usb charging cable): http://www.scosche.com/lightning-micro-usb-cable-iphone-android-tablet-smartstrike-black-white

Advertisement