Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books, Books, Books

• 07-10-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

I thought it might be good to start a thread on books related to strength training, powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting.

My interest mainly lies in weightlifting so most of the books I've posted reflect that. I have also posted a few links to books on strength training but I've only scratched the surface in that regard so feel free to expand on what I have posted. If anyone wants to post some reviews of books they've read that would be great too.

Olympic Weightlifting:

The Weightlifting Encyclopedia (Arthur Drechsler) Pullum Sports

The Russian translated texts (Various Authors) Dynamic Fitness (US) Choice of Champions (EU)
    • A System of Multi-Year Training in Weightlifting (A.S. Medvedyev)
    • A Program of Multi Year Training in Weightlifting (A.S. Medvedyev)
    • The Training of the Weightlifter (R.A. Roman)
    • The Snatch and Clean and Jerk (R.A. Roman)
    • Managing the Training of Weightlifters (N.P. Laputin and V.G. Oleshko)
    • Weightlifting and Age (L.S. Dvorkin)
    • Weightlifting training and technique (Various authors)
    • Weightlifting Yearbooks 1980-1985 (Various authors)

A Demasculization of Strength (Andrew “Bud” Charniga) Dynamic Fitness (US)

Weightlifting Programming: A Winning Coaches Guide (Bob Takano) Amazon

An Introduction to Olympic Style Weightlifting (John M. Cissik) Amazon

The Sport of Olympic-Style Weightlifting (Carl Miller) Amazon

Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches (Greg Everett) Amazon

A Textbook on Weightlifting (Arkady Vorobyev) Amazon (US)

Olympic Style Weightlifting (Jim Schmitz) Ironmind (US)

Fortis: Strength Training for Weightlifters (Dr. Michael Hartman) Amazon Note: Kindle Edition

Strength Training:

Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe) Amazon

Practical Programming 3rd Edition (Mark Rippetoe and Andy Baker) Pullum Sports

Practical Programming 2nd Edition (Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore) Pullum Sports

Science and Practice of Strength Training 2nd Edition (Vladimir M. Zatsiorsky and William J. Kraemer) Amazon

5/3/1 2nd Edition (Jim Wendler) Amazon Note: Kindle Edition

Beyond 5/3/1 (Jim Wendler) Amazon Note: Kindle Edition

Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning (Dan John) Amazon

Intervention: Course Corrections for the Athlete and Trainer (Dan John) Amazon

Fit (Lon Kilgore, Michael Hartman and Justin Lascek) Amazon

Note: I have included links next to the authors name to places where you can buy the books. Some books I can only find links for from the US so I have noted that beside the link.

All links were working at the time of posting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

DylanJM wrote: »
    Science and Practice of Strength Training 2nd Edition (Vladimir M. Zatsiorsky and William J. Kraemer) Amazon

I loved this.

Not least for the graphs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I loved this.

Not least for the graphs.

I actually haven't read through that myself yet. I've flicked through it couple of times but haven't really dug into it for some reason. I'll probably get around to it a some point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Good shout. Whatcha make of the Russian texts?

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Good shout. Whatcha make of the Russian texts?

It's good stuff. They're not really easy reading though, I have found myself having to read through things multiple times before getting my head around them (that might say more about me than the content though).

I have four of the books:

A System of Multi-Year Training in Weightlifting (A.S. Medvedyev)
    A Program of Multi Year Training in Weightlifting (A.S. Medvedyev)
    The Training of the Weightlifter (R.A. Roman)
    Managing the Training of Weightlifters (N.P. Laputin and V.G. Oleshko)

All of which I think are worth reading. My personal favorite is Roman's book as the information in it is probably most applicable in a real world situation.

The Weightlifting Encyclopedia by Artie Dreschler has a good section on programming which gives a good critique of the information contained in the Russian books. It also contains a good bit of the most useful information (charts, tables, etc.) from them as well and is much easier to read.

Bob Takano's book is also based on one of the Russian books too (A System of Multi-Year Training in Weightlifting) and is a pretty good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A System of Multi-Year Training in Weightlifting (A.S. Medvedyev)
    A Program of Multi Year Training in Weightlifting (A.S. Medvedyev)
    I've an app on my phone called "multi year training". Haven't played about with it yet but wonder if it's related.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I've an app on my phone called "multi year training". Haven't played about with it yet but wonder if it's related.

Hmm not sure. Is this it? Might just be a coincidence in regards to the names as that app seems more geared to general strength training rather than purely Olympic weightlifting.

I must say though, that app looks pretty good. I like the layout of it and it looks really clean. Nice interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Izzy Navraez's Programming to Win (free ebook) is an excellent read in the same vain as practical programming and starting strength. I think Lyle McDonalds 'The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook' is a very worthwhile read for lifters as it is a no bull**** method of rapid fat loss for making weight while maintaining muscle, for making weight or whatever, really opens your eyes to what sort of weight loss is actually possible.

Not a book but a good read nonetheless, a lit review which looked at the main variables associated with strength training: http://n.ethz.ch/~aguayod/download/The%20Influence%20of%20Frequency,Intensity,%20Volume%20and%20Mode%20of%20Strength%20Trainirg%20on%20Whole%20Muscle%20Cross-SectionaAl%20rea%20in%20Humans.pdf

Hmm not sure. Is this it? Might just be a coincidence in regards to the names as that app seems more geared to general strength training rather than purely Olympic weightlifting.

I must say though, that app looks pretty good. I like the layout of it and it looks really clean. Nice interface.

Had a look at it last night.
    It's a nice interface and takes a lot into consideration.
    But its not weightlifting specific.

It comes preloaded with GVT, SS (v1 & v2), SL, and a Big 6 routine.
    You have to pay a few quid for the multiyear program. Havenit bougth but it looks like a advanced periodisation routine.

A few more.

Defying Gravity: How to Win at Weightlifting (Bill Starr) Aasgaard Company US

The Strongest Shall Survive: Strength Training for Football (Bill Starr) Aasgaard Company (US)

Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength (Steven Low) Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Are you a weightlifting coach or at what stage as a lifter would it benefit someone to read some of these books?

• Advertisement

Are you a weightlifting coach or at what stage as a lifter would it benefit someone to read some of these books?

No, you don't have to be a coach to get useful stuff from these books. Plenty of the books contain useful information for lifters of all levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

No, you don't have to be a coach to get useful stuff from these books. Plenty of the books contain useful information for lifters of all levels.

Ok thanks, I thought that maybe as a beginner I could be overburdening myself with info, but will pick up on of these. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 stripeypaint

anyone have a copy of Starting Strength for sale, or where to buy in Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

anyone have a copy of Starting Strength for sale, or where to buy in Dublin

Possibly Chapters on Parnell Street, or Hodgis Figis (sp) on Dawson Street.

I just picked up a copy of Anatomy Without A Scalpel by Lon Kilgore (of starting strength fame) and so far ot's a GREAT read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Sorry for off topic post....

Hey Hanley ever hear from the old guys from boards? Gem dragan emmett?
    Miss those guys...
    You still lifting massive?

Sorry again!

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Sorry for off topic post....

Hey Hanley ever hear from the old guys from boards? Gem dragan emmett?
    Miss those guys...
    You still lifting massive?

Sorry again!

Lol. What up!

G'em became G(girl), E(engaged), M(married) w/ a kid!

Dragan is god knows where.

And Emmett is a complete bender (...he's got a new venture going and you can even go hang out with him: https://www.facebook.com/events/1559065281042928/)

G'em is still here, only not.
    Seeb an AmazingEmmet posting on reddit the other day, assume thats the same guy

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I was actually planning to ask about some of those old school posters. I find it strange that someone can go from being a very frequent poster and obvious fitness fanatic to just completely disappearing. I remember the old Team-Test forum. There was a guy called T-Ha. Whatever became of him? As I recall, him and another guy came up with an eating style called the ANACAT protocol, whereby one eats above maintenance on training days and below maintenance on rest days, with carbs making up the difference.

They predicted it would become very popular and they were right. Carb cycling is pretty common these days.

Advertisement