Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Flatmate has child - but hasn't told me yet. How do I approach?

Options
  • 07-10-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just had a new flatmate move into my apartment. It's just a 2 bed apartment, with one bathroom. I had a lot of viewings and strictly advertising "No couples", for 1 person only.

The guy who I eventually decided on seems really nice and really easy going BUT I noticed when he was moving in that he has a Baby sun visor on one of the windows in his car. A bit of Facebook stalking and I discovered he does have a baby daughter. I would say max she is about 18 months.

As a single Mid-20s person I don't particularly want to be creeping around at the weekends around a sleeping baby, or being woke up early. I don't really want children's equipment cluttering up the limited Kitchen/Living space we have either. At the same time I don't want to come across as a wagon.

What do you think would be the best approach. Should I just ask Do you have a child and do you intend on her staying her at weekends etc? Should I lay down ground rules etc?

When I interviewed this guy I did say that I would be a fan of going out at the weekends and would have a couple of my friends stay over after nights out maybe a couple of times a month, and he seemed totally fine with it. So he was aware that it wouldn't be the ideal place to be having a child stay at weekends.

Any advice/suggestions much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If he's moving in with you rather than with the mother of his child, chances are he is single. Children tend to stay with their mother in these kinds of situations (not always, but a lot of the time). He may not have any custody arrangment in place at all, and may not even be guardian of that child.

I wouldn't assume the child would ever come over, but obviously bring it up and have a chat. Openness is always better. I'd mention the car sun visor rather than the facebook stalking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I presume if he hasn't mentioned it then the child doesn't stay with him. If he suddenly turned up with a child to stay some nights I'd be giving him notice as it's not what you signed up for.

I'd just mention casually next time you're having a cup of tea with him that you noticed the sun visor and ask him does he have any kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

As with most problems which arise early in a new tenancy the best thing to do is tackle it early, reasonably and honestly.

It sounds like you gave a fairly honest indication what living with you would be like and he was happy with that. It may be the case that he is still with the mother but they don't live together and he will be visiting/staying with the child at their home from time to time.

Have a chat with him and explain your concerns and talk it out. It's up to you how you deal with explaining how you found out though....!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I cannot believe you facebook-staked someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Pinkmoon19

pwurple wrote: »
    Openness is always better. I'd mention the car sun visor rather than the facebook stalking though.

Ha yes, I was definitely going to go down the Sun visor route, rather than looking like a complete weirdo! :D

Ok great, that's what I thought, That I should just mention it straight away. A lot of my friends seem to think it would be better to play dumb and say nothing. That doesn't sit that easily with me, I would rather get it out in the open I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

snubbleste wrote: »

Note to tenants... I look at the social media of every prospective tenant. It's in the public domain, and is often a very good indication of what they are like.

Really? It's fairly standard. I mean most companies would do this before hiring someone......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Firstly, you aren't being a wagon for being concerned about this. Having a baby in the house is not an insignificant thing and you definitely should have been told if that is going to be the case. You have the right to know if you are going to be awoken by a screaming child, if you are going to potentially get stuck babysitting, if you can't bring friends over because they might wake the baby.

It may be the case that he didn't mention it because he will never have the baby there, and thats fair enough. You need to clarify things ASAP though before he gets too settled, so I would just come out and ask him to be very clear what his intentions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He's moved in and now because he's a father you want to set out new rules .
    Do you own the apartment or leasing it

Gatling wrote: »
    He's moved in and now because he's a father you want to set out new rules .
    Do you own the apartment or leasing it

She's entirely within her rights. She's renting to a single person who she thought would be compatible with her lifestyle. That's completely different to a tenant with a small baby staying at weekends and crawling around the communal areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I only stake people that turn out to be Vampires:D

Meathlass wrote: »
    She's entirely within her rights. She's renting to a single person who she thought would be compatible with her lifestyle. That's completely different to a tenant with a small baby staying at weekends and crawling around the communal areas.

Who has said anything about the baby staying and lifestyle choices

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

l wouldn't be happy at all - l rented a room to a single guy couple of years ago and came in one day to find two toddlers flying around the house when l approached him about it he didn't seem to think it was a problem but l soon put a stop to it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's possible that he's only just separated, and that access rights are not sorted out yet. Maybe he's taken this place as a stopgap measure, until he finds someplace that is more suitable.

If it's not that, ie if he's the type who is not allowed to have his child(ren) stay overnight with him, I'm not sure that I would want him as a housemate either!

Well that was the point of my post? I was looking for advice on how to approach/find out what his intentions are with regards to the child staying.

To be totally honest if he is planning for the child to be staying every second weekend I don't think it would be a good fit for the apartment. It would have been a completely different scenario if he was upfront and said he had a child and he would want them staying. I mean If I agreed to him moving in on this basis then obviously I would have to accept all that goes with this but I haven't agreed to that as I am currently "unaware" that he has a baby.

You implied in your post that she didn't want him living there now that she's found out he's a father.

That's not the reason. I'm sure she couldn't care less how many kids he has as long as they don't stay at the house.

You implied in your post that she didn't want him living there now that she's found out he's a father.

That's not the reason. I'm sure she couldn't care less how many kids he has as long as they don't stay at the house.

Exactly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

wolfen wrote: »
    As a single Mid-20s person I don't particularly want to be creeping around at the weekends around a sleeping baby, or being woke up early. I don't really want children's equipment cluttering up the limited Kitchen/Living space we have either. At the same time I don't want to come across as a wagon.
    So don't creep around at the weekends, and tell him you don't want to be woken up early by a kid.

Sounds like you're looking for a problem rather than dealing with an issue. Focus on the behaviours, not the person.

RainyDay wrote: »
    So don't creep around at the weekends, and tell him you don't want to be woken up early by a kid.

Sounds like you're looking for a problem rather than dealing with an issue. Focus on the behaviours, not the person.

I can't believe people would be ok with this.

If you advertised a place to rent and a single girl in her 20s moved in but 3 weeks later you got up and her elderly mother was in the kitchen and informed you she'd be staying with her daughter every weekend, would you be ok with this? It's the same scenario.

The op rented a room to one person, not one person and a child at weekends.

The op rented a room to one person, not one person and a child at weekends.

How did you come to the conclusion that the child is staying at weekends?

• Advertisement

How did you come to the conclusion that the child is staying at weekends?

It's not a conclusion, it's a scenario. The OP doesn't know yet as she hasn't talked to the tenant but it's a possible scenario.

I don't think that the child will be staying as I'd imagine any tenant would mention this but you never know, people are weird :)

Op you need to sit down with your new flatmate and see what exactly his situation is in a friendly non confrontational manner just a friendly chat ,

Would there be an issue with person having the child in the flat during a day time .
    Or are you strictly no kids full stop in the flat .

There's various scenarios here ,

if he's only staying long enough for him to get rent supplements ie he might only need 6 months in the flat .(that's if he's not in employment) .

He's an unmarried father who might or might not be going through the courts for access .

He might only take the child a few hours here and there .

One questioned the type of person he might be but you met and talked to him before selecting him as your flat mate so he can't be that bad .

A friendly chat over a cuppa will allow you to make a more informed decision .

It's not a conclusion, it's a scenario. The OP doesn't know yet as she hasn't talked to the tenant but it's a possible scenario.

I don't think that the child will be staying as I'd imagine any tenant would mention this but you never know, people are weird :)
    Indeed, it is a possible scenario. And there nothing wrong with the OP having a chat.

My concern was that the way the OP phrased the issue, it seemed that her problem was with the flatmate having a child (without getting her permission beforehand to have a child) rather than a particular concern about the child being in the apartment.

Indeed, it is a possible scenario. And there nothing wrong with the OP having a chat.

My concern was that the way the OP phrased the issue, it seemed that her problem was with the flatmate having a child (without getting her permission beforehand to have a child) rather than a particular concern about the child being in the apartment.

The problem is that you imagined this, everybody else knew exactly what the OP was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

I don't know what his rights would be. If you rent a room in a house it's understood that you can have guests from time to time assuming they don't live there. Boyfriends/girlfriends can stay over. I would imagine if you had a little brother/sister who was still a child it would be reasonable to have them occasionally. Is he entitled to have his child over as long as it's not too frequent and not disturbing anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Boyfriends/girlfriends can stay over. I would imagine if you had a little brother/sister who was still a child it would be reasonable to have them occasionally. Is he entitled to have his child over as long as it's not too frequent and not disturbing anyone else?

It may be illegal, but I would have no qualms about age discriminating in who my housemates had to stay regularly.

An occasional visit from a child who's 8+ is vastly different from a regular stay from a child who still needs to use a car seat.

Kids, especially babies / toddlers, need to be kids. They scream, throw food, projectile vomit, and have toilet accidents. They have toys that get scattered, and they run around the house. They draw on walls, play with pots and pan, and hide stuff in the house for fun. Part of the deal of being a parent is that you get to deal with this. But it's totally not part of the deal of being a housemate - unless it's discussed and freely agreed beforehand.

IMHO.

The problem is that you imagined this, everybody else knew exactly what the OP was asking.

You seem to have a fairly liberal interpretation of 'everybody else'.

It may be illegal, but I would have no qualms about age discriminating in who my housemates had to stay regularly.

An occasional visit from a child who's 8+ is vastly different from a regular stay from a child who still needs to use a car seat.

Kids, especially babies / toddlers, need to be kids. They scream, throw food, projectile vomit, and have toilet accidents. They have toys that get scattered, and they run around the house. They draw on walls, play with pots and pan, and hide stuff in the house for fun. Part of the deal of being a parent is that you get to deal with this. But it's totally not part of the deal of being a housemate - unless it's discussed and freely agreed beforehand.

IMHO.

Adults do exactly all the above on a stupidly regular basis too

Adults do exactly all the above on a stupidly regular basis too

Your tone throughout this thread has been very strange, just who exactly are you trying to pick a fight with? Why the chip on your shoulder about people pointing that there are issues involved with having an 18 month old baby in your house unannounced?

If you are really going to go off on a tangent about how some adults need their nappies changed or start crying at 6am then I have to wonder if this is the right thread for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

I don't know if it even is illegal, but if it is you would be fine about breaking the law and willing to take the consequences?

Advertisement