Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Tidal Flood Alert on 7th October 2014

Options
  • 07-10-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

From
    www. corkcity .ie/news /mainbody,69500,en.html (take away the spaces, I'm too new for this)

[QUOTE=In association with the forecast rain conditions for Wednesday 8th October 2014, a predicted storm surge to coincide with the astronomical high tide may give rise to flooding of streets in the City.

High Tide is predicted for 05:53 and 18:17

During this period, prior to and after this tide, there is a risk of some Tidal Flooding in the City as indicated.

It is possible that flooding may occur in the low lying areas of the City Centre including in particular Morrisons Quay, Sharman Crawford St and Wandesford Quay.

Householders and businesses should take Precautionary Measures to protect property.]

Finger crossed that's just a precaution and nothing will happen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Linky http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,69500,en.html

Tide doesn't look to bad at the moment, hopefully twill be ok in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

54kroc wrote: »
    Linky http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,69500,en.html

Tide doesn't look to bad at the moment, hopefully twill be ok in a while.

Warning is for tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

PcAngel wrote: »
    Warning is for tomorrow!

:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I was in town a bit earlier, and the water then was about an inch from pouring onto the road at the footbridge by the College of Commerce.

If tomorrow is the real high one, I would expect it to flood alright.

Just hope there isn't too much damage from it.

Warning is for tomorrow!

My bad.
    MrFrisp wrote: »
    I was in town a bit earlier, and the water then was about an inch from pouring onto the road at the footbridge by the College of Commerce.

This evenings tide was 4.7m, tomorrow is 4.8m.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Warning is for tomorrow!

Twas for tonight too according to the radio, unless they got it mixed up too...

"Council warns of flooding due to rain and 'astronomical high tide' in Cork".

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/council-warns-of-flooding-due-to-rain-and-astronomical-high-tide-in-cork-644508.html

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

I walked home that way and noticed it was weirdly high levels. Didn't know there was a warning but was thinking it would take very little to wreck all the cars parked there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Weather is much wetter tomorrow too by the looks of things.

Lekrub wrote: »
    I walked home that way and noticed it was weirdly high levels. Didn't know there was a warning but was thinking it would take very little to wreck all the cars parked there

And, you know what?

Despite the warnings, you will still get people parking there in the high risk areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Some crack of thunder just there now. No too far from city center either judging from flash and sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

And, you know what?

Despite the warnings, you will still get people parking there in the high risk areas.

Last year, my husband was passing through town after a flood. There was a brand new Fiesta under three feet of water by the quays (I forget where). :eek:

Sorry to say, I laughed when he told me. Everybody KNOWS the risks of parking at the quays when the weather's bad, but they still take a chance!

Wonder what the insurance made of it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep...some amount of rain coming down now also..unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Jesus, some thunder there, must have been going for 10 seconds. Never seen so many broken and discarded umbrellas as in the last few days. "Let's be careful out there!"

who_me wrote: »
    Jesus, some thunder there, must have been going for 10 seconds. Never seen so many broken and discarded umbrellas as in the last few days. "Let's be careful out there!"

Just about to post about it.
    I was just out clearing the storm drain and sweet jesus the thunder was savage.
    If your in the city make sure the barriers are up for the morning tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Bacchus wrote: »
    Some crack of thunder just there now. No too far from city center either judging from flash and sound.

Never heard it so loud.

Huge clap there. Set off the house alarm, and some of the neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Same here. Car alarms going off all over the place. Dog just appeared at the top of the stairs looking at me as if to say 'WTF?? Dog trying to sleep here!' :D

He and the hubby have just rolled over and gone back to sleep! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

That clap of thunder around 12 was fcukin scary. Was sat in the pub finishing my pint, the bang that went off made me think there had been an explosion just outside the window. Never heard thunder so loud and sudden.

Is there a map of where the strikes hit last night (I seem to recall something like this after the storms at the start of the year)? I'd like to see where that one at midnight hit. It felt very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

"Council warns of flooding due to rain and 'astronomical high tide' in Cork".

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/council-warns-of-flooding-due-to-rain-and-astronomical-high-tide-in-cork-644508.html

:eek:

I think that astronomical in this context refers to the component of the tide caused by the moon and the sun (as opposed to it being flippin massive). The other component is the weather conditions (e.g. storm surge)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Bacchus wrote: »
    Is there a map of where the strikes hit last night (I seem to recall something like this after the storms at the start of the year)? I'd like to see where that one at midnight hit. It felt very close.

Might have been on this.

http://www.metcheck.com/IE/sferics.asp

evilivor wrote: »

Thanks for that - Cork / South Cork don't look great!

Was just on a work call with someone in Kinsale and their broadband was knocked out by lightning mid-call. It's fairly nuts down there by all accounts.

I'm just back from town now, and the tide is fairly high as it is.

Still got about 2 hours to run.

Those heavy showers are unreal.. Nice hail shower just as I was leaving town.

Guess this was the really loud one just around midnight. (Taken by Steve O'Callaghan, from the Cork Independent).

104s0f5.jpg

Now I'm not saying I did and I'm not saying I didn't... but does anyone know how to get wee stains out of a pair of jeans?

Advertisement