Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA & San Fran in December/January

Options
  • 07-10-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Thinking of popping down to LA for a few days after XMas and driving up to San Fran and spending another few days there.

For LA, we'll probably do the usual - Universal Studios, Hollywood, Natural History Museum maybe Disneyland.
    Any recommendations on what area to look for hotels that is central to all these? We'll probably rent a car regardless.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

For staying in LA you want to be in Santa Monica, Venice Beach or Beverley Hills. Seriously nowhere else (unless you check with us first!)

I would avoid any other areas. The place is vast, dont end up staying near the airport or near an attraction. Do a search on this forum too.

A car is absolutely essential in LA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

Cool, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Just back from l.a myself.

Just something to note with the theme parks. Universal studios is half of a building site at the moment building on the backlot and the new harry potter land in the theme park.

Both disney and universal close early in the winter months but still charge a full price ticket which is kind if a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭eire4

InTheTrees wrote: »
    For staying in LA you want to be in Santa Monica, Venice Beach or Beverley Hills. Seriously nowhere else (unless you check with us first!)

I would avoid any other areas. The place is vast, dont end up staying near the airport or near an attraction. Do a search on this forum too.

A car is absolutely essential in LA too.

I stayed in Manhattan Beach last time I was in the area and liked the area.

Remember to budget a couple of nights for the drive up the coast on highway one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Remember to budget a couple of nights for the drive up the coast on highway one.

Will there be much to see on the drive in December?
    We'd planned to do the drive in one go, but might stay for a night somewhere on the drive up.
    Any recommendations on a town to stop off in?

Jonny_D wrote: »
    Will there be much to see on the drive in December?
    We'd planned to do the drive in one go, but might stay for a night somewhere on the drive up.
    Any recommendations on a town to stop off in?

It will be beautiful in December.

June, July and August can be the worst times to do it because you get the terrible coastal fog. Plus the summer traffic.

Stay in San Louis obispo on the south end and monterey up north.

Advertisement