Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plex Confirmed for Xbox

Options
  • 27-09-2014 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭

Just got this in an email... pretty huge news for anyone who wants to consume media on their Xbox One
    It’s Official, Plex for Xbox is here!

That’s right, friends! We’ve been hard at work lovingly building Plex for Xbox One and Xbox 360, and we’re ready to pull back the curtain on the brand new big-screen Plex apps.

All Together Now, "Xbox! Go to Plex!"

Apparently, quite a few of you are Xbox fans, as this has been one of the most requested apps in the history of Plexkind. We’re huge fans of the platforms as well, and we’ve been working with the good people at Microsoft to bring out the best of both Xbox and Plex. Here’s a glimpse of what the beautiful new app looks like on both the Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Voice & Gesture Control

We also wanted to make sure users get the full Xbox experience, so we included native Xbox Kinect features, like voice recognition and gesture control. Tasty beverage in one hand, popcorn in the other? No problem, just say the word and your media now jumps to attention at the sound of your voice or a wave of your hand, oh mighty one!

Plex for Xbox One is available immediately as a Plex Pass Preview to Plex Pass subscribers for free. Plex for Xbox 360 is also free to Plex Pass subscribers and will be available soon. For those without a Plex Pass, Plex for Xbox One and Xbox 360 will be made available in the future for a one-time fee. The apps initially support video only, but rest assured that we are working hard to add music and photos. The Xbox app requires the latest version of the Plex Media Server, so be sure to upgrade today.

A Thoughtful Tour Guide for Your Media

In the new Xbox apps, you’ll find a newly-designed UI and several new discovery features that we are planning to bring to our other big-screen apps over time. Your media’s artwork will now take center stage as you browse through your video collection, where you will marvel at the new ways to explore your media, including awesome ways to discover similar content and receive personalized suggestions based on your own viewing habits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Plex App for Xbox One apparently inbound tomorrow: http://www.wpcentral.com/plex-xbox-one-coming-tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Plex App for Xbox One apparently inbound tomorrow: http://www.wpcentral.com/plex-xbox-one-coming-tomorrow

Great, can't say enough good things about this, so easy to set up.

tip for folks who set this up and can't see all of their stuff or are missing info for a movie etc, movies have to have the year in the file name and TV shows have to be named ShowS00E00.avi etc.

It's up now but I had to search for it doesn't show under new apps

Edit: only works with plex pass which is 4.99 a month they can go .......

My TV has a free plex client built in and the media app on the one will still see the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

calex71 wrote: »
    It's up now but I had to search for it doesn't show under new apps

Edit: only works with plex pass which is 4.99 a month they can go .......

My TV has a free plex client built in and the media app on the one will still see the server.

Its not free!?!

I was interested until I heard that. I'm not stealing all these movies just so i can go and pay to watch them :pac::D

Its not free!?!

I was interested until I heard that. I'm not stealing all these movies just so i can go and pay to watch them :pac::D

There are extras with the pass like cloud access etc etc. No way I'd use any of them so crazy money to be paying. This was part of an email I got there from them promoting the new stuff.
    Plex for Xbox One is available immediately as a Plex Pass Preview to Plex Pass subscribers for free. Plex for Xbox 360 is also free to Plex Pass subscribers and will be available soon. For those without a Plex Pass, Plex for Xbox One and Xbox 360 will be made available in the future for a one-time fee. The apps initially support video only, but rest assured that we are working hard to add music and photos. The Xbox app requires the latest version of the Plex Media Server, so be sure to upgrade today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

There are extras with the pass like cloud access etc etc. No way I'd use any of them so crazy money to be paying. This was part of an email I got there from them promoting the new stuff.

TBH, they'd have a better chance at getting a once off payment of 20 quid off of me, and hold onto your extra features thanks very much. a fiver here and there just makes me feel like I'm incurring debt by a thousand cuts. Not to mind the fact that i may as well just sign up for netflix or the like and not have any of the hassle that goes with arranging directories etc.

TBH, they'd have a better chance at getting a once off payment of 20 quid off of me, and hold onto your extra features thanks very much. a fiver here and there just makes me feel like I'm incurring debt by a thousand cuts. Not to mind the fact that i may as well just sign up for netflix or the like and not have any of the hassle that goes with arranging directories etc.

See the bit I quoted from the email I got from them, they are bringing out a one time charge app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

It works perfectly, on deck syncs and it supports 5.1 audio!

miralize wrote: »

You paying for a Plex pass? Seems like crazy money for what it is, I'd have no issue paying 4.99 max for the app like I did on my phone, but 4.99 a month for it is a bit much for what it is.

You paying for a Plex pass? Seems like crazy money for what it is, I'd have no issue paying 4.99 max for the app like I did on my phone, but 4.99 a month for it is a bit much for what it is.

I got the lifetime sub ages ago for $70 one off. Streams to phones & ipads on the go, definitely worth every penny

• Advertisement

I got the lifetime sub ages ago for $70 one off. Streams to phones & ipads on the go, definitely worth every penny

Definitely better than the $149 they want for it , do they offer their own cloud space for that or do you have to use other services like google/one drive etc?

Definitely better than the $149 they want for it , do they offer their own cloud space for that or do you have to use other services like google/one drive etc?

Yep attached to my Dropbox, but it works with Drive too i think.. tbh I dont use it, only for local stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

It's telling me i need to have PMS version 0.9.10.3 or higher, but the highest version is 0.9.9.14??

foxerv1 wrote: »
    It's telling me i need to have PMS version 0.9.10.3 or higher, but the highest version is 0.9.9.14??

You can download 0.9.10 if youre a plexpass subscriber

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

You can download 0.9.10 if youre a plexpass subscriber
    Which i am??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep attached to my Dropbox, but it works with Drive too i think.. tbh I dont use it, only for local stuff

Hmm. So you can dump your vid files into dropbox and stream from there rather than from your pc?

Used plex before but my laptop is on it's way out and streaming was an issue, think it couldn't transcode HD files quick enough or something. Using dropbox though sounds great.

Is the app released for 360 yet?

maximoose wrote: »
    Hmm. So you can dump your vid files into dropbox and stream from there rather than from your pc?

Used plex before but my laptop is on it's way out and streaming was an issue, think it couldn't transcode HD files quick enough or something. Using dropbox though sounds great.

Is the app released for 360 yet?

Plex puts transcoded files into Dropbox, but it can also stream directly from your computer if its online. If not, it can queue files to transcode, put them in Dropbox and you can watch them anywhere. It stilll has to convert the files.

Not for 360 yet I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hopefully the once off charge will be reasonable enough,

The interface is nice enough,

Would be willing to go to about €20 for the xbox one version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hopefully the once off charge will be reasonable enough,

The interface is nice enough,

Would be willing to go to about €20 for the xbox one version.
    Personally I think plex is the biggest pile of crap ever. Don't bother with it as my tvs are all dnla compliant so no need for it. I tried a few times setting up on my synology nas and just gave up in the end. For the money they're charging buy a roku or some other media player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Just a word of warning.
    If live goes down the plex app is useless.

Tippex wrote: »
    Just a word of warning.
    If live goes down the plex app is useless.

True but with the update today to the dash everyone will now have dlna + media player app, actually todays update makes the plex app if you have to pay for it a luxury expense to a degree , if you have a plex server running and open the media player app it will see it and will show the box art on the folders for tv shows, you are missing all the other bells and whistles but the stuff is nicely organised and will play no problem even .mkv files :)

I posted a picture of how it looks a while back in the beta dash thread.

Advertisement