Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungarian vizsla

• 07-10-2014 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I'm looking to get a Hungarian vizsla pup, but am finding breeders very hard to come by. Any info would be great thanks a mill. David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

davidwoods wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to get a Hungarian vizsla pup, but am finding breeders very hard to come by. Any info would be great thanks a mill. David

I don't know of any breeders personaly in Ireland but I have met some irish bred Vizsla's and imo they don't look as nice as the proper Hungarian bred dogs, the irish ones seem smaller in size, paler in colour and smaller ears.

It is an idea for you to maybe get the dog from Hungary itself and bring it to Ireland? There are many good breeders over there of them (of course there are equally bad breeders you need to be as careful as here in Ireland with regard backyard breeders) there is also a big Vizsla rescue center that often have wonderful dogs in need of a home.

Great choice of dogs though, they are one of my all time favourite breeds ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Do you know much about their temperament? I ask because I have worked with a few of them and they've all been absolutely bouncing off the walls in terms of energy, if you're not someone who is into exercising/jogging/running (with an adult dog, mind you, wouldn't be so good for a pup) I wouldn't really suggest you getting a vizsla unless you're prepared for that. They are one breed I definitely couldn't imagine owning personally!

But yeah, I think fiounnalbe has some good suggestions!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

I have 2 of the ginger nuts.
    A 4 year old bitch and 3 year old dog.
    They really live up to there Velcro dog image.
    They are a high energy dog but I wouldn't be without them.

As for breeders, I couldn't recommended Catherine Kelly highly enough, she is based (or was) in Donegal and knows everything about the breed, she is the current vizsla club secretary.
    We fell in love with the breed after a trip to Germany over 5 Years ago met a viz with its owner a few mornings at a coffeeshop...love at first sight.. And after plenty of research We got Fizzy off Catherine and then got Digger from Kate Olsen @gunfieldvizsla in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davidwoods

Optimum wrote: »
    I have 2 of the ginger nuts.
    A 4 year old bitch and 3 year old dog.
    They really live up to there Velcro dog image.
    They are a high energy dog but I wouldn't be without them.

Thanks for the reply guys. Yes I am aware of there temperament . I have a 6 year old springer cross at the mo and she's still full if energy. I just love dogs always have , always will. Have my heart set on a vizsla. Have heard they are called the Velcro dog alright , and I think that's great . Fingers crossed I find one but as u guys said be careful of breeders. I'd want to see parents, living conditions and get the pups hip score

• Advertisement

If you get in contact with catherine she could point you in the right direction regarding other breeders.
    Be prepared to wait for a pup if you plan to get one I seen recently that Gunfields waiting list is filled until 2016.
    There is also Vizslamentes a charity from Hungary that rehomes abused/unwanted vizs from Hungary with forever families in UK and Ireland. We have been thinking of getting a third and may look into rehoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Thanks for the reply guys. Yes I am aware of there temperament . I have a 6 year old springer cross at the mo and she's still full if energy. I just love dogs always have , always will. Have my heart set on a vizsla. Have heard they are called the Velcro dog alright , and I think that's great . Fingers crossed I find one but as u guys said be careful of breeders. I'd want to see parents, living conditions and get the pups hip score

That's fantastic, best of luck to you!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Optimum wrote: »
    If you get in contact with catherine she could point you in the right direction regarding other breeders.
    Be prepared to wait for a pup if you plan to get one I seen recently that Gunfields waiting list is filled until 2016.
    There is also Vizslamentes a charity from Hungary that rehomes abused/unwanted vizs from Hungary with forever families in UK and Ireland. We have been thinking of getting a third and may look into rehoming.

Thank you so much for all the info . I'm going to give Catherine a call now and see what see has to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I love Vizlas, best of luck.

Just one point, it is the parents' hip score that you check, not the pups, as a dog isn't scored until they are at least 12 months old. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

fiounnalbe wrote: »
    I don't know of any breeders personaly in Ireland but I have met some irish bred Vizsla's and imo they don't look as nice as the proper Hungarian bred dogs, the irish ones seem smaller in size, paler in colour and smaller ears.

It is an idea for you to maybe get the dog from Hungary itself and bring it to Ireland? There are many good breeders over there of them (of course there are equally bad breeders you need to be as careful as here in Ireland with regard backyard breeders) there is also a big Vizsla rescue center that often have wonderful dogs in need of a home.

Great choice of dogs though, they are one of my all time favourite breeds ;)

You have obviously not met many Irish Vizsla's so. The breeder mentioned above & I know her personally has fabulous dogs. They are a lovely breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I second the recommendation for catherine kelly. I know her personally and her dogs and she has very good quality dogs.

Gave Catherine a call last night. She is such a lovely lady and was very helpful. She has pups due in a few months but unfortunately the price was too high for me as Catherine breeds show dogs where as I'm looking a vizsla for a pet. She certainly knows her stuff and would recommend giving her a call if anyone is interested in the breed. Still staying positive about getting one as they seem such an amazing dog .

Gave Catherine a call last night. She is such a lovely lady and was very helpful. She has pups due in a few months but unfortunately the price was too high for me as Catherine breeds show dogs where as I'm looking a vizsla for a pet. She certainly knows her stuff and would recommend giving her a call if anyone is interested in the breed. Still staying positive about getting one as they seem such an amazing dog .

I'm sorry OP, I'm not having a go at you, but I really don't understand that way of thinking, about the dog being too expensive as the breeder breeds show dogs. Why would a pet be any cheaper? The breeder is carrying out all of the relevant health checks, finding a good sire that complements her lines, and ensuring the dam and the pups have excellent nutrition and health care I imagine. All of that costs money, and all of it is just as important for a pet dog, as it is for a show dog. I don't know how much her pups cost, but I imagine it is actually value for money, if you go cheaper, you won't get the same sort of care taken with the breeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

I love these dogs they are so beautiful. When my children are just a little bit older I'm going after one. Feel free to pm if you choose but I'd be very curious as to how much a pure breed one is from CK. cheers im

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

As per Muddypaws post, in that case don't you contact the rescue that Optimum mentioned, it sounds like it would be a better option for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What was the price? I bought a Labrador from a girl in Armagh before who also breeds Vizslas. Her price for a Viszla when I spoke to her was £600 which would be €760.

The dogs would have all necessary health checks and field trial champions in their breed line.

Would you have a contact number by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Would you have a contact number by any chance?

Pm sent with email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

Knine wrote: »
    You have obviously not met many Irish Vizsla's so. The breeder mentioned above & I know her personally has fabulous dogs. They are a lovely breed.

I have seen loads thanks, I wasnt saying theyre not lovely or healthy...imo they just dont look the same as the actually Hungarian ones. It's very possible that some here do of course I just havent seen any.

Hey guys, after a lot of hard work I finally found a breeder down in cork that has a litter of 10 pups. Picked out my little guy yesterday. They are 3 weeks old and gorgeous, healthy pups. Already counting down the next few weeks. Just wanted to say thanks for all your replys and contacts you gave me. I do know there are a few males left so if anyone is intrested I can pass on the breeders number. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hey guys, after a lot of hard work I finally found a breeder down in cork that has a litter of 10 pups. Picked out my little guy yesterday. They are 3 weeks old and gorgeous, healthy pups. Already counting down the next few weeks. Just wanted to say thanks for all your replys and contacts you gave me. I do know there are a few males left so if anyone is intrested I can pass on the breeders number. Cheers.

You do realise that is part of the API charter that anybody with a new puppy has to put photos up? Look forward to seeing him in a few weeks. :)

Advertisement