Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm giving away furniture for free - Westmeath

Options
  • 07-10-2014 7:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭

Moving house at end of week. Won't be bringing anything with me. No interest in advertising, don't have the time. If anyone knows of anyone setting up home, there'd be a microwave, built in oven, hob, over the mantelpiece mirror, full length stand alone mirror, very old tv, tv stand, dvd player, double bed frame and mattress.
    I hate dumping it all.
    It might suit someone setting up home for the first time.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Btw - they could take all or bits and pieces. Other things would be ironing board, iron, toaster, kettle etc.

Just would hate to see it to go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you don't find takers, you could do a good deed and give some or all of it to Oxfam Home

http://www.oxfamireland.org/home-and-furniture

or the St. Vincent de Paul

http://www.vinnies.org.au/page/Donate/Donate_Goods/

or Freecycle it

https://groups.freecycle.org/group/freecycleDublin/posts/all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Sclosages wrote: »
    Moving house at end of week. Won't be bringing anything with me. No interest in advertising, don't have the time. If anyone knows of anyone setting up home, there'd be a microwave, built in oven, hob, over the mantelpiece mirror, full length stand alone mirror, very old tv, tv stand, dvd player, double bed frame and mattress.
    I hate dumping it all.
    It might suit someone setting up home for the first time.

Where are you?

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Where are you?

Mullingar, Co. Westmeath.

Also a single bed and single bed mattress with plastic still on.

• Advertisement

Honestly, I'd prefer it all to go to someone in need, than to dump it all.

I'm leaving at the end of the week. St. Vincent de Paul don't take second hand stuff as far as I know. I'd prefer if some young wan was trying to get a house together for herself.

There's other things like curtain poles, curtains etc.
    As I said, I don't want anything for it.
    But when I had my first baby, I would have jumped at the chance.
    So - the offer is there for anyone who knows someone who might need it.
    Aslo, a goddamned rocking chair lol.

Oh, and a brand new hoover. Used twice. Still comes with its spare bag etc. Owned about 2 months.
    Honestly, I should open a car boot sale outside the house I'm thinking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Honestly, I'd prefer it all to go to someone in need, than to dump it all.

Could you leave it there for the new tenant? Presumably the place was unfurnished when you moved in? Or ask the landlord/new purchaser if they want any of it?

Adverts.ie is probably a better place to put it too

• Advertisement

Could you leave it there for the new tenant? Presumably the place was unfurnished when you moved in? Or ask the landlord/new purchaser if they want any of it?

Adverts.ie is probably a better place to put it too

I don't have time. Leaving Friday.
    If anyone knows of a new mother or something, I'll gladly donate. Otherwise it all has to go to the skip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

I'm leaving at the end of the week. St. Vincent de Paul don't take second hand stuff as far as I know. I'd prefer if some young wan was trying to get a house together for herself.

They do or did in Tullamore and it is/was kept in the old Lifestyle shop.

I don't have time.

A lot of it is expensive. All of it well cared for. I was just given a job offer at short notice.

You're talking about 1k worth of stuff. Hahaha. Gas to think you can't give stuff away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

you have the time to come on the internet it seems;

Join Freecycle http://www.freetradeireland.ie/
    Advertise there, for free.
    give it away to people local to you

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

I agree. One phonecall to St. Vincent de Paul would have taken up far less time than you have posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Are you on Facebook? Look up freecycle pages in your area. :)

Lucyn wrote: »
    I agree. One phonecall to St. Vincent de Paul would have taken up far less time than you have posting here.

SVDP do not pass it to people in need. They sell it in their shop. I want it to go to someone in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

VdP will not take electrical goods.

OP, I'd suggest posting in your regional forum - maybe the mods here would move it for you.

Another option for you to try is Women's Aid, I don't know if they have a branch in Athlone. Or your parish priest (if you're on speaking terms) - they often know people who could use a hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

SVDP do not pass it to people in need. They sell it in their shop. I want it to go to someone in need.

Incorrect. They definitely do. I volunteer with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

although I agree SVDP do great work have to say in some areas they seem have attuides My friend was told they wont help a single person twice when she asked (now she struggling very badly after taking out loans)
    OP parish priest or woman's aid is great option as they usally know a family in need (womans aid cause deal with battered women who had leave home and resetup)
    Most charties will collect I know Oxfam do if you want gone fast and not want bother with trying adds and waiting on people collecting

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I don't have time. Leaving Friday.
    If anyone knows of a new mother or something, I'll gladly donate. Otherwise it all has to go to the skip.

You dont have time to leave the furniture there for the next person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

It seems strange to leave a brand new hoover and other electrical goods, one would assume you would need these in your new property. You are not a disgruntled tenant by any chance?

You dont have time to leave the furniture there for the next person?

I'll be leaving my house (rented), with everything left behind me (my stuff).
    In any case, I've a girl coming at lunchtime thursday. Hopefully she can make use of most of my stuff.

davo10 wrote: »
    It seems strange to leave a brand new hoover and other electrical goods, one would assume you would need these in your new property. You are not a disgruntled tenant by any chance?

No, I'm moving country. The cost of bring it would be more than than the cost of the items.

Well, look, I've made a commitment now to this girl coming on thursday. If she doesn't want certain things, I'll offer them to local charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pluto86

Hi I would be interested where do u live?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pluto86

Hi I would be interested where do u live?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Put it on the free section on adverts.ie asap. When I give away (decent enough) stuff on that I have people turn up within the hour to collect.

Advertisement