Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If be afraid if Foo's do Slane they will not get a big enough crowd unless they really pack the support bill . Can see them getting a Bon Jovi sized crowd if they do play but can see them doing Marlay Park instead

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

I'd love it if ACDC would play at Slane. Would u2 be a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

eldest200 wrote: »
    I'd love it if ACDC would play at Slane. Would u2 be a possibility?

Yeah more likely U2 with the album out now, AC/DC would be fantastic. Dream act, Led Zep, one can dream , yeah???? (saw the Celebration Day concert on Sky Arts last night, epic to say the least !!!!) :D

Concerts at Slane Castle look set to return next year with the first open-air gig of summer 2015 believed to be pencilled in for next May.

Rumours were swirling last night that legendary Australian rockers AC/DC could be the ones to take to the stage.

After a hiatus this year, concert promoters MCD and castle owner Lord Henry Mountcharles are understood to be looking at May 30 as a possible date and sources say preliminary contact has been made with Meath County Council which is the local licensing authority.

The date is the last Saturday of May and it has also emerged that there could be a second concert with dates in August being considered.
    It would feature a different headline act but well-placed sources say U2 are unlikely to play either date.

There wasn’t any concert at the world famous amphitheatre this year but in 2013 Bon Jovi and Eminem played there to capacity crowds on two separate dates – in June and August of that year.

Remaining tight-lipped on the speculation of who will play next year, Lord Henry said he has ‘absolutely no comment on the fact that I have no comment’.

Lord Henry previously said he was not able to source a suitable act for a concert at the castle this year.

Explaining the decision, he said: ‘I never do a show at Slane unless I feel I have an act that is right for the venue, protect the reputation of the venue very carefully and there wasn’t anything this year that was available that grabbed my imagination.

http://www.evoke.ie/showbiz/slane-castle-concerts-set-for-2015-comeback/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Explaining the decision, he said: ‘I never do a show at Slane unless I feel I have an act that is right for the venue, protect the reputation of the venue very carefully and there wasn’t anything this year that was available that grabbed my imagination.
    http://www.evoke.ie/showbiz/slane-castle-concerts-set-for-2015-comeback/
    ie. MCD didn't have anyone touring that they thought would sell 80,000 so didn't bother renting my land to run their concert there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

micar wrote: »
    Reports of 2 gigs in Slane next year,

AC/DC to headline one date and another not yet released for the other.

Would love to see Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age and Muse.

Nothing can be as crap is KOL

http://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/is-slane-to-hold-two-big-gigs-next-summer-644522.html

In terms of the KoL gig, it served it's purpose very well and sold 80,000+ tickets in 40 minutes . At the end of the day, that's the name of the game.

Could be looking at AC/DC for the May slot if reports are anywhere near accurate. (of course could be a million miles away).

As for August, not many bands currently touring can sell 80,000 tickets. Could see the likes of Coldplay, Bruce Springsteen & U2 in the running.

The likes of Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Prince, Radiohead, Muse would all be Marlay Park/Phoenix Park sized crowds IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Daft punk would be amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

If the beatles, supported by marvin gaye and talking heads was announced I'd still strongly consider swerving that venue, it's day was the 80's, when there was nothing else of note on in the country.

Nowadays it's the worst possible venue for a large outdoor gig, one way in, one way out, terrible food, overflowing ****ters long queues for admission and drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

If the beatles, supported by marvin gaye and talking heads was announced I'd still strongly consider swerving that venue, it's day was the 80's, when there was nothing else of note on in the country.

Nowadays it's the worst possible venue for a large outdoor gig, one way in, one way out, terrible food, overflowing ****ters long queues for admission and drinks.

I agree. This venue needs to be retired permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

In terms of the KoL gig, it served it's purpose very well and sold 80,000+ tickets in 40 minutes . At the end of the day, that's the name of the game.

Could be looking at AC/DC for the May slot if reports are anywhere near accurate. (of course could be a million miles away).

As for August, not many bands currently touring can sell 80,000 tickets. Could see the likes of Coldplay, Bruce Springsteen & U2 in the running.

The likes of Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Prince, Radiohead, Muse would all be Marlay Park/Phoenix Park sized crowds IMO.
    Springsteen is an Aiken act, so won't be playing.
    U2 have said they'd like to/will be doing arena shows, so wouldn't imagine they'll play.
    Coldplay are a very real possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

ricero wrote: »
    Daft punk would be amazing

If the tickets were free you wouldn't get 80,000 people to go.

Most likely going to be U2 and AC/DC.

Red Hot Chili Peppers also have an album in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Totally agree .. went to Queen in 86 as a 14yr old - swore I'd never go back. Never have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re "it's the worst possible venue for a large outdoor gig".
    It's not you know, Punchestown is.

Ive seen Bowie, Guns N Roses, Neil Young, Madonna and the Rolling Stones at Slane and all were relatively hassle free.

AC/DC at Punchestown was chaos. Absolute chaos.
    Fans were treated like animals and the madness trying to board one of the buses afterwards was like something out of a war zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Slane as a venue to watch a gig is brilliant. Nice big hill so good vantage points for all, sound always seems top notch and it's a really beautiful setting.

The problem with Slane itself is access. I know the stories of long walks, waits for buses etc etc. Personally, I have always treated Slane as a mini festival. I arrive on the Friday afternoon before any traffic restrictions and traffic problems begin. If I'm lucky I have a spot booked in one of the hotels or B&B's in the village, otherwise I camp at one of the local campsites which open for the concerts.

Hit a few of the pubs on the Friday evening and soak up the atmosphere. Get a decent nights sleep and stroll down to the gig on the Saturday lunchtime.

Again soak up the atmosphere in the pubs or campsite on the Saturday before heading home on the Sunday lunchtime, again when all traffic restrictions and traffic problems have long finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

If I never have to go to Slane or Punchestown again for a gig, I will die a happy man. AC/DC are one of the very few acts I would consider enduring Slane again for.

I know he's always promoted by Aiken, but I still think Springsteen is a decent bet for one of the Slane dates (30th anniversary of his appearance there). I heard rumblings a while back from someone who works with Aiken that it was being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

blastman wrote: »
    If I never have to go to Slane or Punchestown again for a gig, I will die a happy man. AC/DC are one of the very few acts I would consider enduring Slane again for.

I know he's always promoted by Aiken, but I still think Springsteen is a decent bet for one of the Slane dates (30th anniversary of his appearance there). I heard rumblings a while back from someone who works with Aiken that it was being discussed.

Exactly the same here, only 1 band would tempt me to Slane and that's DC, and i only live 12miles from the kip.

Also just checked booking.com, every hotel & b&b (yeah, only 7 of them i know) in Slane is sold out for weekend of May 29 & 30th, 5 of them sold the last rooms 10 days ago, pretty big coincidence they sold out on same day, obviously someone in the know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Coldplay are doing slane that's a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

but1er wrote: »

Dreadful!!!!!

Seriously hope your kidding!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If thats a fact, it'll be the worst act to play slane.. Jaysus even Madonna was better..

bennyl10 wrote: »
    If thats a fact, it'll be the worst act to play slane.. Jaysus even Madonna was better..

Ah come i think thats a bit over the top , I will admit ive never seen Coldplay live but they would def make think about going again next year

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ah come i think thats a bit over the top , I will admit ive never seen Coldplay live but they would def make think about going again next year

Saw them at oxegen a couple of years ago, thought they were dire.
    But then again they're just really not my cup of tea, since viva la vida, thought they went awfully downhill,
    Madonna though, okay maybe a little harsh :p

Two actual rock gigs.. It's all I want..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe there will be a Pink Floyd tour next year, would be a perfect headliner for Slane, they are releasing an album next month, we can always dream eh! :pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

cant say who my source is but yeah coldplay have a pre contract signed for slane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

What's the point of seeing cold play live? They're as middle of the road as it comes.the live aspect isn't going to add to the experience at all.better off a proper rock back like queens of the stone age. Seen cold play in Boston about three years ago and they were as boring live as they are on the CD.such pointless music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I saw them on the viva la vida tour. They were good, but I like Coldplay anyway, apart from the last 2 albums when have been muck.
    cant say who my source is but yeah coldplay have a pre contract signed for slane

Can't even give us a vague idea no? Nobody believes you.

Can we expect an announcement by the end of the month?

believe what you like lads just passing on the info i was given

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JackMcA

as much as i dont like coldplay it is likely they will play slane next year

I wouldn't be surprised if Coldplay were to headline Slane but atm they aren't touring I think ACDC will be one of the headliners don't know who the second headliner will be (if they announce a second show)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Linkin Park is my favorite band, see no reason why not slane

Probably the fact they'd struggle to sell a quarter of the tickets mightn't help!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement