Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

Options
  • 07-10-2014 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm doing my leaving cert this year and am doing App. Maths as an eighth subject.
    I'm not one of those really intelligent students (I'de be around the 530-540 mark).
    I first took up app maths when my physics teacher who is also my app maths teacher told me it would help with physics an higher level maths.

My question is: Is it worth doing it? Does it actually help as an eighth subject or is it liable to take away from my other subjects?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

doing physics and doing hons maths then do applied maths... depends on your workload of course...

If you do any engineering/physics in college then itll help you no end too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

I do it ,as said above if u do phycis and higher level maths its doable , also its a short course I like it it's not that hard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

I do it and it's doable. It's a method exam so if you can understand what to do you should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

It kind of depends on your expectations of your other subjects. I do another subject outside school as I really dislike English and Irish. Applied Maths is probably easier than you think, I do it and it's one of the three subjects that I would be very very confident of getting an A1 in. I think 20% of students doing Apm get an A grade.

If you're really good at Maths, then you should do it, especially if there are one or two subjects that you are not strong at, or simply dislike studying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lisabarrow

i did applied maths as a 7th honour last year. Im dyslix so all my subjects where choice subjects (chem, physics, bio,history, geo, ap maths, maths and pass english) i found it hard enough as i moved school in 6th year and my school did the whole course in one year before this i did it outside school where it was being thought on a two year basis, so when i moved i had to redo 5th year course material which i knew well first and ended up rushing the last few topics. i found that this with all my learning subjects made me freak out near the end of the year as it seemed all my friends coursework was getting lighter due to orals being over. despite this it all ends up clicking about a month before the test but i did decide around this time that it was my weakest subject so stopped studying it as much as my other honours and it ended up being my lowest result with a b2 and i didnt end up counting it. It did help in mechanics in physics and in my understanding in maths. i also decided to do enginering this year and it has no doubt helped me.im getting 90+ percent on all my mechaics tests with little study while my friends are struggling to do the two year applied maths course in a semister.

my advice would be if youve a year done stick it out it defently has it benefits especially if you end up doing engineering. only downside is the extra week of exams in june

• Advertisement
Advertisement