Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology

• 07-10-2014 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

I only got my biology option this year,
    So I missed out on like 10 chapters in 4th year and during the summer of ty I wrote all the notes from one of my friends who did do biology at that time.
    Now I am wondering what should I be doing for the subject, for the chapters I was not there for, shall I just do out exam questions and get the jist of the chapters and understanding or shall I just leave as I am planning to start straight at studying full on from summer holidays. Due to the fact that I am doing 8 subjects atm, I have loads of work to be doing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I only got my biology option this year,
    So I missed out on like 10 chapters in 4th year and during the summer of ty I wrote all the notes from one of my friends who did do biology at that time.
    Now I am wondering what should I be doing for the subject, for the chapters I was not there for, shall I just do out exam questions and get the jist of the chapters and understanding or shall I just leave as I am planning to start straight at studying full on from summer holidays. Due to the fact that I am doing 8 subjects atm, I have loads of work to be doing.

Leaving Cert biology at 4th year? That's against the Department of Education I'm pretty sure.

Surely your teacher will come back to these chapters, if ye covered 10 in 4th year. You have two years left, so plenty of extra time in 6th for revision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Leaving Cert biology at 4th year? That's against the Department of Education I'm pretty sure.

Surely your teacher will come back to these chapters, if ye covered 10 in 4th year. You have two years left, so plenty of extra time in 6th for revision.

Yeah I know, our school is messed up sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

Yeah I know, our school is messed up sure :rolleyes:

Just be interested in your opinion of my situation!. I couldn't get a Biology class within the line I wanted and thus was stuck with terrible options instead of it! I'm doing Chemistry Music and Japanese(as an extra subject), but wanted to do Biology aswell!. I'm stuck with Economics ( one of the Biology classes is on at that time but it's full!. I'm not enjoying it at all and was wondering should I drop it and study Biology during this time if allowed?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Biology is all about facts. If you're able to learn a definition off by heart, or a cycle ... heck even a system - you will be all right. If you're really interested in biology in general, it will be easy as you'll be genuinely curious and interested, which will make learning it easier plus sub-consciously you'll already be absorbing tiny useful pieces of information.

Just do what you enjoy really. I picked all the subjects I'm naturally interested in and would watch documentaries etc on the topic, so it makes learning it a lot easier because I'm not bored. Biology is a nice subject :)

Just be interested in your opinion of my situation!. I couldn't get a Biology class within the line I wanted and thus was stuck with terrible options instead of it! I'm doing Chemistry Music and Japanese(as an extra subject), but wanted to do Biology aswell!. I'm stuck with Economics ( one of the Biology classes is on at that time but it's full!. I'm not enjoying it at all and was wondering should I drop it and study Biology during this time if allowed?.

This is what I am doing.
    English (O) due to the fact I have 8 subjects and I have no need for this subject in any of my courses I dropped to O level.
    Maths (H)
    Biology(H)
    Chem(H)
    Business(H)
    Italian(O) same reason as English, but in fairness I wanted to do HL, so I would be able to do international business. But due to my circumstances like taking up biology in 5th year, was not an option for me :(

Home|:
    Economics
    Ag Science.

So maybe you could drop Economics and take up biology and study economics at home, its quite straight forward, I am planning to study all my home subjects and get the project for ag science and course for both ag and economics done this year, by studying them during every holidays I get(Mid-term,Christmas)

• Advertisement

This is what I am doing.
    English (O) due to the fact I have 8 subjects and I have no need for this subject in any of my courses I dropped to O level.
    Maths (H)
    Biology(H)
    Chem(H)
    Business(H)
    Italian(O) same reason as English, but in fairness I wanted to do HL, so I would be able to do international business. But due to my circumstances like taking up biology in 5th year, was not an option for me :(

Home|:
    Economics
    Ag Science.

So maybe you could drop Economics and take up biology and study economics at home, its quite straight forward, I am planning to study all my home subjects and get the project for ag science and course for both ag and economics done this year, by studying them during every holidays I get(Mid-term,Christmas)
    I'm studying eight subjects too ( seven at higher level as I'm doing ordinary maths). Do you have a teacher for Ag science?. Are you interested in agriculture /have a farming background?. I just don't want to regret dropping Economics but Japanese is my extra subject although done in school!. The atmosphere is dreadful in Economics though and I'm terribly confused due to something I won't state here even though business was one of my better subjects in the JC!. I'm aiming for medicine so having a second science would be a good idea!.

I'm studying eight subjects too ( seven at higher level as I'm doing ordinary maths). Do you have a teacher for Ag science?. Are you interested in agriculture /have a farming background?. I just don't want to regret dropping Economics but Japanese is my extra subject although done in school!. The atmosphere is dreadful in Economics though and I'm terribly confused due to something I won't state here even though business was one of my better subjects in the JC!. I'm aiming for medicine so having a second science would be a good idea!.

I am doing ag with a teacher outside school pay 30E, but they get the project and course done within a year so only revision going into 6th year.
    I know this is a lot, I am so thankful for my parents for financing this.
    I don't even come near a farming background, maybe centuries ago lol.

I am doing ag with a teacher outside school pay 30E, but they get the project and course done within a year so only revision going into 6th year.
    I know this is a lot, I am so thankful for my parents for financing this.
    I don't even come near a farming background, maybe centuries ago lol.

Yes, your parents seem very generous alright!. Good luck with it!

Advertisement