Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lights for attic

Options
  • 07-10-2014 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend lights for an attic, its quite large, in two sections, so need 4-6 lights in total.

I was thinking of a cheap option of several bulkhead lights with regular bulbs but perhaps there is something better

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Can anyone recommend lights for an attic, its quite large, in two sections, so need 4-6 lights in total.

I was thinking of a cheap option of several bulkhead lights with regular bulbs but perhaps there is something better

T5 fluorescent with covers

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

T5 fluorescent with covers

I second that...vapour proof fittings are also very reasonable T5 of T8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Keep it simple and use ceiling roses, an attics environment is dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

tube lighting will be blinding.

install a downlighters

Sometimes i find roses get knocked about with xmas decorations etc. Also the bulbs can get quiet dusty and dirty. Flourescent fixtures might give off a slight bit more light if needed and bulbs would last longer than incandescent type.

• Advertisement

We forgot to ask if attic is been used for storage or as a habitual room?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭greasepalm

dry ?? suitcase got rusty due to damp conditions as this old house only had tiles on battens and no membrane underneath it.

greasepalm wrote: »
    dry ?? suitcase got rusty due to damp conditions as this old house only had tiles on battens and no membrane underneath it.

What can i say only you should re-roof your house, do you think IP fittings should be used in attics across the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

Attic is insulated with shredded paper so its not practical to use even for occasional storage, its so messy.

So lighting is purely for access on the few times its required to go up there.

What can i say only you should re-roof your house, do you think IP fittings should be used in attics across the board?

Yes there's no reason not to

Keeps out damp
    Insulates from cold to aid starting
    Protects tube from accidental breakage
    Price difference is minimal

I would only use T5 in an attic myself based in experience with t8s in cold environments

• Advertisement

Yes there's no reason not to

I dont mind opinions on using T5 or other fittings but as the op wants to do it on a budget simple ceiling roses are a solution.

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/2x49w-t5-weatherproof-high-frequency-fluorescent-fitting-5ft.html#

2 of those will do the job of 6 pendants

There's no "real" saving in a big attic if you had to wire a load of pendants

Can be debated several ways i guess, more than likely cable be clipped along ridge board so drop in and out of pendants as you go along is no task or effort really.
    Would be still more cost effective imo.

Advertisement