Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing an Infraction

Options
  • 07-10-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭

Hi I received an infraction in After Hours within the thread: Is feminism a dirty word? The infraction was given for ignoring a moderators instructions. I'd like to appeal this infraction please. The detail is as follows. At the start of this thread a post I made had been replied to. I replied directly to this however in the intervening posts Whoopsadaisydoodles had issued a mod warning as follows:
    Mod

Folks, please discuss this like grown ups and without slinging mud back and forth.

If you are just going to shout while sticking your fingers in your ears when other people talk, then you will be asked to vacate the thread.

Let's all get along, shall we.

Now as has been discussed in the PM's I'll post in a minute, missing a mod warning clearly isn't an excuse and I'm not trying to use it as such. It is important that I put the context of how the reply arose however - this was in the context of a short and not particularly heated exchange of posts between myself and another poster - no agression, name calling, uncivility or otherwise.

I've since contacted whoopsadaisydoodles to discuss vis PM with a view to asking them to recscind. the following is the mail chain:
    Dear tritium,

You have been infracted for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.

whoopsadaisydoodles

Moderator Note

Don't post in this thread again.

Your post:
    tritium wrote: »
    Great, another thread where the men's rights crowd try to make out that misandry is an actual thing.

And there was I thinking that cause its in the dictionary it must exist

Guess if you put your fingers in your academic feminist ears and go lalalalala for long enough it really does make everything go away.

My reply was as follows:
    tritium wrote:
    Whoos. I'm actually appalled by this. Please advise how I appeal. Notwithstanding that I only saw the mod post after posting, my post is fully in line with both the spirit and the letter of the AH charter. I've posted frequently in similar threads and as with this post am generally careful to deal with the post and not the poster, especially where that post addresses a point I've made. I specifically addressed the point the poster made that misandry didn't exist. To allow that point to stand unchallenged would be pretty findamental. I believe your actions here are unwarranted here and would ask you to reconsider.

Whoopsadaisydoodles response was:
    Hi Tritium,
    You can appeal the infraction via the DRP (link in original PM).

Unfortunately, failure to see a mod warning - particularly when it was posted so close to your own post - is not an excuse to ignore it.

You were more than welcome to challenge the the statement that misandry didn't exist. My mod warning was posted with both you and that poster in mind, to ask people to post without getting angry. This could have been avoided had you left out the second part of your post "Guess if you put your fingers in your academic feminist ears and go lalalalala for long enough it really does make everything go away." It's not civil, it added nothing to the discussion, and it's precisely the kind of post my mod warning intended to avoid.

Thanks
    Whoopsadaisydoodles
    Given that clarified why the mod felt there was an issue I replied as follows for clarification:
    tritium wrote:
    Whoops, I can of course appeal but I'd rather resolve through pm if possible. I do accept that failure to see isn't an excuse, and while I noted it I didn't attempt to use it as such.

Re your poi t on the second part of my post. I feel you be taken it out if context (though I do appreciate on reading it that it's possible to do so) . the comment isn't aimed at a poster, the reference to academic feminism is in reference to the ongoing position of that discipline to pretend misandry is a made up word that doesn't actually exist. This has been referenced in several similar threads and an poster who posts on threads around this topic will be aware of this issue.

Thoughts welcome

Tritium

I haven't as yet received any reply to this last PM.

I note that the critical point for the mod appears to be around the second paragraph of my reply. I contend this has been taken fairly heavily out of context and indeed the context is only apparent as part of the full message. I'd ask on this basis that the infraction be removed.

As I've noted in my PM's to Whoopsydaisydoodles this is a topic that anyone who posts regularly on this or related issues will be aware of the intended context. A cursory review of the thread (and indeed any recent related thread) will show that the post is very much in the tone and manner of other posts on this. Indeed it is fairly low key by comparison to the general thread tone at various post mod warning points. {please note, I'm not saying here that everyone else is at it so why cant I, I'm saying that I believe I'm actually well below the threads civility threshold by any reasonable interpretation}

In summary, I'm contending that my post read fully and in context does not violate the mod warning and should not have been infracted and I'd ask you to rescind.

regards

Tritium

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi tritium.

Thanks for confirming that you have engaged with the moderator in an attempt to resolve this. I will take a look at this for you & come back with my findings.

tHB

Ok, I have reviewed the relevant parts of that thread & can see the following...

1. Things were starting to get antsy within the first 15 or so posts in that thread.

2. The mod posted this warning...
    Mod
    Folks, please discuss this like grown ups and without slinging mud back and forth.

If you are just going to shout while sticking your fingers in your ears when other people talk, then you will be asked to vacate the thread.

Let's all get along, shall we.
    3. You replied with this...
    Guess if you put your fingers in your academic feminist ears and go lalalalala for long enough it really does make everything go away.

You claim that you did not see the mod warning, however, given that you used very similar wording to the mod I find this difficult to believe. Regardless, it is not an acceptable excuse to say you didn't see the warning & you acknowledge this in your post above.

Dress up your explanation for the tone, manner, context, etc of your post, but at the end of the day it was deliberately provocative & even if the warning had not been posted I would expect that you would have received a warning for it. As the mod had issued a warning that was, in effect, ignored I find that the infraction is warranted.

You may appeal to an Admin if you wish.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

Ok, I have reviewed the relevant parts of that thread & can see the following...

1. Things were starting to get antsy within the first 15 or so posts in that thread.

2. The mod posted this warning...

3. You replied with this...

You claim that you did not see the mod warning, however, given that you used very similar wording to the mod I find this difficult to believe. Regardless, it is not an acceptable excuse to say you didn't see the warning & you acknowledge this in your post above.

Dress up your explanation for the tone, manner, context, etc of your post, but at the end of the day it was deliberately provocative & even if the warning had not been posted I would expect that you would have received a warning for it. As the mod had issued a warning that was, in effect, ignored I find that the infraction is warranted.

You may appeal to an Admin if you wish.

tHB

Yes, I'd like an admin review please. Specifically the post was not provocative. As I've noted already its considerably below the civility threshold on this thread. I've explained in detail to the mod in question the rationale and context around the response. On a side note, given that I acknowledged up front that I had no intention of using my not seeing the mod warning as a defence its more than a little unfair of you to attack my credibility or honesty in that respect.

You note that the thread was starting to get antsy after 15 or so posts- I'm not sure how you've arrived at this since 1). The thread is from the start in a similar vein and level of discourse to many similar recent threads on the subject and 2). The level of discourse you've noted is pretty consistent on this thread throughout - a cursory glance will confirm this.

Additionally the post I made attacks a specific point of the post I was replying to, I.e. that misandry does exist in spite of the attempts of certain academic groups to intellectualise it away. It is not ignoring a Mod instruction and it is not attacking a poster. Reading the full post via a vis the thread to that point that is pretty clear

I have requested an Admin review for you.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If it reads provocative and it sounds provocative I'd generally class it as provocative.

You may have meant it to come across differently, but the onus is on the you to communicate it in a non provocative way, not for others to decode it.

Upheld.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement