Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 month old Boxer a-symptomatic Cardiomyopathy

• 07-10-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!
    I'm having a nightmare and hope I can get some advice ASAP as I'm not going to sleep tonight (again) before I get to speak to my vet at some stage tomorrow.

We rescued a 4 month old boxer pup from a bad situation, I'll spare you the details as I'll just get angry typing it out! :/

He's had many issues since we got him (yep, he's poorly bred, didn't know at the time but I couldn't leave him and he has the a lovely temperment!)

The latest issue is a severe dislocating knee cap. Anyway, he had the surgery yesterday and while the vet was x-raying his knee she decided to take an x-ray of his chest as he had a protrusion in his ribs (which I knew about). Anyway, she says he has a slightly enlarged heart. :( This has broken me inside!

What I'm asking, is it possible he can have an enlarged heart without developing issues or is this an automatic death sentence??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

About 12 years ago I had a dog with dilated cardiomyopathy, I got him as a pup from one of those 'accidental litters' by people who were too lazy to spay and neuter and I foolishly didn't know any better, on reflection he was probably the runt of the litter, half the size of the other remaining puppy, he was diagnosed when he was about 2/2.5 and he was on tablets and was fine and lived till he was almost 5. I think it's different for every dog so take your vets advice as to what to do next, 4 months is terribly young to be diagnosed, sounds like terrible breeding, poor pup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    About 12 years ago I had a dog with dilated cardiomyopathy, I got him as a pup from one of those 'accidental litters' by people who were too lazy to spay and neuter and I foolishly didn't know any better, on reflection he was probably the runt of the litter, half the size of the other remaining puppy, he was diagnosed when he was about 2/2.5 and he was on tablets and was fine and lived till he was almost 5. I think it's different for every dog so take your vets advice as to what to do next, 4 months is terribly young to be diagnosed, sounds like terrible breeding, poor pup

He's 10 months now & I couldn't ask for a better buddy! Just have to go on the same regardless if he has it or not! It's enforced crate rest fun at the moment for his knee! He's miserable the poor sod!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

enforced crate rest is hard, but you can help by giving him lots of distrations - frozen kongs,raw bones, new toys to chew/shred (buy dog-appropriate ones in charity shops), hide a treat in a small cardboard box for him to shred etc etc.

I rescued a dog once from a nightmare situation. He came with all sorts of horrible medical issues. I decided, that I had rescued him and could give him a chance of some love and a happy life, however long that life would be given his medical issues. It was the best decision I ever made. He had a lovely albeit shortish life, he was spoiled rotten and a complete pest and brat, but my god he had fun and was the apple of everyones eye. We did what was within his boundaries physically, but with meds that improved, he was a greqt dog & enjoyed every day. Once you have him sorted with meds, try not to worry about the prognosis too much, and enjoy him for every minute you have him.

hugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

aonb wrote: »
    enforced crate rest is hard, but you can help by giving him lots of distrations - frozen kongs,raw bones, new toys to chew/shred (buy dog-appropriate ones in charity shops), hide a treat in a small cardboard box for him to shred etc etc.

I rescued a dog once from a nightmare situation. He came with all sorts of horrible medical issues. I decided, that I had rescued him and could give him a chance of some love and a happy life, however long that life would be given his medical issues. It was the best decision I ever made. He had a lovely albeit shortish life, he was spoiled rotten and a complete pest and brat, but my god he had fun and was the apple of everyones eye. We did what was within his boundaries physically, but with meds that improved, he was a greqt dog & enjoyed every day. Once you have him sorted with meds, try not to worry about the prognosis too much, and enjoy him for every minute you have him.

hugs

Thanks for the advice! He's an absolute demon at the moment! He usually loves his crate, his Raw hide's,Kongs, his toys etc. but he's not taking any interest in them at the moment & isn't settling in his crate!!

Anyway, he managed to burst 2 stitches lastnight and we took a trip to the vet at 10:30pm last night! She dressed the wound up, gave us some tramadol so he's doped up now & just chilling out on his cushion with his lead on so he cant go wandering! great craic!!!!

I spoke to her & she thinks he's fine! As it's a-symptomatic I shouldn't worry and once he's over his rehab they'll look into it further but at the moment she cant see it effecting him till he's older - or she was just telling me what I want to hear! Either way I'm just going to take everyday as it comes with him! :)

Advertisement