Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to college grants?

Options
  • 07-10-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am 23 and want to go back to college. after my leaving cert I wwnt to college for 5/6 months. Dropped out. That was 2010. I now want to go back next sept 2015.
    I am currently working and living at home trying to save. However funds are tight as my father is the only parent working.
    Do all grants get means tested? & what help is out there for me? I wont be able to go back to college if i dont get some sort of a grant! and because I am working im not entitled to btea but what about susi?

Stressing out! :) Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

From the Citizen's Advice website.
    In general, you will not get a grant for repeating a year or attending a course at a level that does not represent progression from what you have done before. However, ‘second chance students’ may be eligible for a grant. A ‘second chance student’ is someone who is aged over 23, did not successfully complete an earlier course and is returning to pursue an approved course after at least 5 years.

Once you're 5 years out by next September, SUSI will cover your Student Contribution, or 3ish grand left after your frees fees are accounted for, but it is means-tested. They also have a maintenance grant, for livings costs, that goes up depending on how close one lives to the college in question, but this is also means tested.

Advertisement