Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Rights - Education

Options
  • 07-10-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anybody might have any insight into an issue I've encountered -

I signed up for a two semester certificate course last year in a private education institution that I'd prefer not to name for now. I completed the first semester early this year, and was due to commence the second semester next month. I've recently been informed by the institute however, that this semester will not go ahead as planned due to a lack of interest from others. Having put considerable effort, time and money into this course I was disapointed to hear same and am wondering where I stand as a consumer in this incidence?

Now they face offered me 50% of my original fee back but I feel this does not sufficiently cover the time and effort I went to when I will not be recieving the service and final outcome I paid for - i.e. the final certificate.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anybody might have any insight into an issue I've encountered -

I signed up for a two semester certificate course last year in a private education institution that I'd prefer not to name for now. I completed the first semester early this year, and was due to commence the second semester next month. I've recently been informed by the institute however, that this semester will not go ahead as planned due to a lack of interest from others. Having put considerable effort, time and money into this course I was disapointed to hear same and am wondering where I stand as a consumer in this incidence?
    What does your contract say on the matter? I'd be fairly surprised if there isn't a condition in there that covers the course provider for this eventuality, e.g. course provided per semester subject to demand, etc.
    Now they face offered me 50% of my original fee back but I feel this does not sufficiently cover the time and effort I went to when I will not be recieving the service and final outcome I paid for - i.e. the final certificate.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
    While you cannot get an award next semester you did receive a service (education) for the entire first semester. Your time and effort is an integral to any education so I can't see how you could possibly justify compensation for that.

Did the provider indicate that you could resume the course if they ran it at a later date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Was the course supposed to lead to an accredited qualification? eg if you paid for a FETAC diploma but didn't get it, then you'd have a case for a full refund because half a diploma is no use to anyone.

But, as stated above, the T&C probably cover them for this eventuality...

Advertisement