Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new mobile. Cant decide/dont know

Options
  • 07-10-2014 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Any advice please on the following.

I cant decide what to do (make an informed decision per se).

Am currently a ready to go customer with Vodafone (need a new phone). I dont really know much about phones (I would be a texter I guess, and occasion have to ring places as is the norm). I use about e20 per month (dont use any internet really-phone is pretty crappy-the odd time check facebook as thats all it allows really. I think if I had internet Id use it a bit more).

I cant decide if to get on Vodafone:

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/nokia-lumia-635-bill-pay-as-you-go-black

Or

http://www.three.ie/online/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?src=p&p=voice&pid=2266&tariffType=Prepay

On vodafone, it says (for e20):
    Free calls & texts to Vodafone mobiles
    Includes...250MB data (is this a lot?)

On 3G it says (for e20):
    Top-up €20 a month and get FREE 4G All You Can Eat Data with unlimited texts and unlimited weekend calls.

4G is free for all customers until November 30th 2014. All you need is a 4G ready device.

If the 3 network is better, I guess Id have to transfer over (pay for a new sim?).

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Get a sim from the networks you are interested in and put the minimum top-up on them. Then test the reception where you work & play. That should give you a fair idea of reception.In Three's case, following their purchase of O2, they will, in time, have a network that will equal Vodafone's. Voda have the best infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks.

Its not really reception am wondering about.

Is 250mb a lot?

I mean, Id prefer to stay with vodafone, but I dont know what it all means!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

For that 250am allowance alone I'd discount Vodafone on the spot. If you use your phone at all, you'll soon find to your cost that 250mb is pathetic. When I first got a smartphone I was with O2 and used to find myself turning the data off towards the end of the month. This was with a 700mb allowance. Why is it that you want to stay with Vodafone? Nearly everyone I know has switched away from the "big 2" because they're so costly and by and large they've not had any problems with the likes of 3 and Tesco. Kristopherus's advice about testing out a sim is great advice. With all the networks you can be surprised as to where the signal's good/awful.

As for changing networks, you don't have to pay for a sim. I think with some networks you might have to put some credit onto them on the spot but that varies. Really, if it's 3's offer you've got in mind, pop into one of their shops and have an assistant do the work for you. I've switched phone networks a few times and it's a painless process. If you're nervous about switching, don't tie yourself into any contracts or buy phones right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks.
    Why is it that you want to stay with Vodafone?

I dunno-some delusion of loyalty, maybe. But loyal to me, they aint. Im a bit miffed that after 10odd years with them, they effectively give you nothing back. And crappy deals.

I just wanted to know how crappy it was.

Time to change me thinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I strongly recommend you try out a sim card first just to be sure. You'd be surprised where there are reception blackspots :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement