Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Suit

Options
  • 07-10-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Ok, I've read a few threads here on this; just wondering if I could get some more info.

I'm working in the banking sector so need a suit on a daily basis. I bought a new suit during the Jan sales in Best Menswear in Stephens Green. Unfortunately, I had a very low budget and bought a brand called Identikit?? for 150e.. Looked very good and was a nice fit, but now I am noticing the pants is beginning to fade in colour, was dark blue, now becoming light blue... :/

My budget now is about 300-350e. Where would be the best place to go to get he best possible suit for this budget. I went into Clerys today and they had a decent grey Daniel Hechter suit marked down to 260e? Seemed reasonable. I have heard Massimo Dutti also do good stuff, anyone have any experience? I think the likes of Louis C might be slightly out of my price bracket. I have heard TM Lewin, M&S, Zara etc. being mentioned too. So... where do you good people recommend? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op I take it your in a junior enough role?

I would but a couple of decent suits in the 250 ish range, you'll get these in best as they normally always have some sort of sales.

Then I'd but some m&s suits or debenhams.

I have about 15 suits (some probably don't fit anymore!) but for days I know I'll be in important meetings for dealings with the higher ups then I wear the expensive suits.
    Tied to the desk all day, m and s all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Controversy

Yep just out out of college last year so not a big enough budget to go splashing out unfortunately :( Might have a look in M&S, seeing it mentioned a lot..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Practical suits, I have 3 or 4 along with a couple from debenhams, happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

M&S. Reasonable quality for a reasonable price. Can't fault them for that. You should also buy two pair* of trousers for your jacket as trousers always wear out faster.
    Though I'm loathe to recommend buying cheap suits I would say that for your budget getting two cheaper suits will be far more economical than spending your money on a 'label' brand.
    Get them altered to fit. Alterations are cheap enough and can make a poor suit look far better.
    When your budget allows you'll be able to get a better quality suit.

*(or more if you are wearing them on a daily basis).

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Agree with oldgoat, buy 2 pairs of trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I have bought Wellington Suits in Boyers on North Earl St about the last 10 years after going through a wide range that never lasted very long- wedding suits are too light and do not suit everyday wear.

I like these suits because they are very hard wearing and I can throw the trousers in the wash ( although the label doesn't advise this they always come out perfect- which also saves on dry cleaning).

Only bought a suit off them two weeks back, the range of colours is not huge but they have a light pin, navy and a dark grey. Price was e85 for trousers ( I always get 2 pairs as the lads have mentioned) and e170 for the jacket.

Not very flash but the best buy around in my opinion- they will also alter for free

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

For work suits at a reasonable enough price, I'd recommend M&S and Debenhams for sure, you can't go wrong with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Anyone any experience of buying suits off aliexpress etc.?

I picked up a suit for €45 and spent €12 getting it altered.

Am I an embarrassment to all that is man or am I a smart consumer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Try the Bargain Basement in Arnotts. I picked up a Remus 3 piece suit there last year for €99. They used to sell them for nearly €400 in the main suit department. For me it was a great fit and it is a top quality suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Try TK Maxx if you're on a budget.

M&S is alright for shirts, but for suits, forget it. Unless you're a fan of double-breasted potato sacks, whilst selling encyclopedias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

So... where do you good people recommend? :)
    There's a couple of stores around Dawson street that could provide an excellent suit at that price. You might be able to squeeze in two suits if you wait until the sales begin. Most will do a second pair of trousers quite reasonably.

If you're not client facing and need something looking really sharp, you can get a more robust suit that will last longer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yep just out out of college last year so not a big enough budget to go splashing out unfortunately :( Might have a look in M&S, seeing it mentioned a lot..

How about the slim fitting suits in a Pennys? They may not last as LCI M&G but with a fraction,of your budget, could get maybe 3 suits and wear them until they need replacing. You can get new suits very year or every 6 months or whatever you feel yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a huge spend for someone in their first job considering a lot from outside Dublin might be renting in a ridiculous market and paying public transport. Some trades pay allowances for boots, gloves etc... I really admire graduates marching in to work in their suits after spending a fortune on college to get paid feck all and work their arses off. I hope you do very well Controversy. I'd echo helimachoptor's recommendation for Debenhams, particularly during sales.

Advertisement