Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Saw Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭00wyk

blue5000 wrote: »
    Haven't bought a bar recently, but last few 058 chains came from ebay uk. What price would a 24 inch Sugihara bar with a D009 tail be? PM me if you prefer.

I've some 24 and 28 inch SugiHara light bars ordered. Hopefully they will be in by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Sami23

Haven't bought a bar recently, but last few 058 chains came from ebay uk. What price would a 24 inch Sugihara bar with a D009 tail be? PM me if you prefer.

Who did you buy from on Ebay as looking for new chain for my Husky 140

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sami23 wrote: »
    Who did you buy from on Ebay as looking for new chain for my Husky 140

I just kept an eye on the auctions:) You need to know the exact chain size, pitch, groove etc. What I bought was NOS still in the bag/box but had been sitting on a shelf I reckon for a while. If you're not sure what you need start here

https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Heavy handed

I just kept an eye on the auctions:) You need to know the exact chain size, pitch, groove etc. What I bought was NOS still in the bag/box but had been sitting on a shelf I reckon for a while. If you're not sure what you need start here

https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/

That’s rob Dwyer’s webpage. I’ve got plenty of him in the past. Very helpful bloke to deal with. He’s a great selection of chains to go with them bars.

That’s rob Dwyer’s webpage. I’ve got plenty of him in the past. Very helpful bloke to deal with. He’s a great selection of chains to go with them bars.

He's also my main business partner.
    We're currently working on the Irish web site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Heavy handed

00wyk wrote: »
    He's also my main business partner.
    We're currently working on the Irish web site.

That’s great to hear. Was wondering where I’d be going to get bars and chains after brexit because I don’t fancy getting stung with customs and vat on everything. Any timeline on when ye’ll have it up and running

That’s great to hear. Was wondering where I’d be going to get bars and chains after brexit because I don’t fancy getting stung with customs and vat on everything. Any timeline on when ye’ll have it up and running

We're plugging away on the web server as we speak. I have inventory coming in next week, and a new bank and paypal set up in progress. It's all coming together - if a bit later than we all had planned.
    It's been rough just getting to here. Rob approached me nearly 7 months ago, now. With Covid, everything is in slow motion now. And when stuff does get done, less of it is done than you had wished. Sort of reminds me of my younger brother, really.
    In any case, I'll have some stock over before the Brexit. After that, it's gonna be sticky for me moving stuff to here from the UK, but that's my problem. At least for Ireland, getting bars will be easier and faster when we have them in stock here without the €100 minimum UK have due to shipping costs.

Anyways... We'll have it up asap. I am praying for end of next week, but...you know...

-Wes Keller

Will you be doing Panther mills? Let us know what you plan to stock. Best of luck with the new business. Brexit is a complete ***k up for anyone running a business.

Will you be doing Panther mills? Let us know what you plan to stock. Best of luck with the new business. Brexit is a complete ***k up for anyone running a business.

Mills are going to be second stage, along with chains, which are a bit of a pain at the moment.

Chains are becoming more rare and expensive due to covid, and reels aren't cheap to ship. Your local dealers have huge stock piles of it on average from before covid, so it's really best to get it from them until we can hire another person to spend time just doing chains - they are very time intensive and easy to mess up. So, sure, we'll just put new guy on the job then.
    Anyways, if you do need chains right now, I would get them locally or from CSB. As the prices are going up as we speak.
    Same with the mills if you are considering ordering one from CSB. As much as I would rather have your cash, if you need it before Brexit, I would order it now from CSB.

After Brexit, I can eventually claim duty back from the state as an importer. I could be out of pocket as little as a few days, maybe a week. If you're a consumer, you can't reclaim it, and they may require cash. So, that's two transactions you got to make, and one might be visiting the local postal center in person. And there may be discrepancies that will make things more expensive for consumers than importers.

I mean, maybe...coz, like, no one has any idea what Brexit looks like yet. Well, except there's a whole lot of smoke in the distance already(though that might just be the British economy smouldering...)...

I trust we've all enjoyed our holidays? Well, as enjoyable as lockdown and weather could allow.
    I managed to put some stock up on the site, but it's very apparent it's a bit scarce. My supplier says late Feb at the earliest for more bars. So we wont have narrow kerf/quick cut stuff until at least then. I did manage to put a couple of Tsumura bars on the site, though - https://sugiharabarsuk.co.uk/
    I assumed Brexit would be really bad, but it's looking really really bad.... :(
    Happy new years!

Wes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What's her thoughts on this saw ? Seems very good value
    http://www.adverts.ie/22459484

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Bullocks wrote: »
    What's her thoughts on this saw ? Seems very good value
    http://www.adverts.ie/22459484

Looks very good value, if I hadn't bought a s/h 440 last week I'd have been very very tempted.
    Makes what I bought look very dear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Looks very good value, if I hadn't bought a s/h 440 last week I'd have been very very tempted.
    Makes what I bought look very dear...

What did you give for your 441?

Cerveza wrote: »
    What did you give for your 441?

It's a 440, not the 441, and I paid €373 for it.
    Add €30 shipping from Germany and it stands me €403

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

That sounds like value ,I presume that's second hand . Has it bar and chain with it for that aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭bassy

There's one on eBay 404 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Lads I'm in the market for a saw.
    18" bar. 50 cc I'm thinking. Enough poke but not brutal heavy. I'm leaning towards a husqvarna 550xp or a Stihl MS 261 CM .
    Any thoughts on these or similar?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

You certainly can't go wrong with either, and they are different enough some folks buy one or the other on feel alone. So, you may want to have a look yourself.
    Personally, I would get whichever has the closest/better dealer support if it's a professional outfit.
    For personal use, I would lean towards the Stihl, especially if it is the same price as the Husky.
    I have had several of them apart, and used a fair few, and they are really well built and thought out and good runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

18" bar. 50 cc I'm thinking. Enough poke but not brutal heavy. I'm leaning towards a husqvarna 550xp or a Stihl MS 261 CM .
    Thanks.

I can't help you on the choice but from memory a lot of the complaints with 550xp originally was around the autotune; I'm not sure if it was dealers not being trained properly or just issues with early tech but you don't hear of it much either way anymore.

This post is on the the 560xp v 362 but it might be helpful to you
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108344684&postcount=8

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Thanks.

Howdy Gengis, I've run an MS261 in our forest for the last 5 years or so, I've abused the feck out of it, It's worn out 2 bars and one sprocket, just fitted a new bar last evening, absolutely unburstable saw, starts and runs whatever the conditions and is easy on fuel too, my old 260 was a bit nicer in the handling department (slimmer saw) but did not have near the grunt of the newer 261. I do not have any experience of the huskys. I run Stihl because my local dealer is a Stihl Dealer. I run a 16" bar on the 261, I'd say she'd be fine with an 18" too although they come with a 16" as standard. best of luck with your new saw whatever you buy tim

Thanks lads. I have an old Stihl MS 250 and it's a lovely saw to work with a 16" bar.
    I'm leaning towards Stihl again and having read the replies above I'll try and buy the 261.
    I might be back with a review of sorts in the near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭bassy

Thanks lads. I have an old Stihl MS 250 and it's a lovely saw to work with a 16" bar.
    I'm leaning towards Stihl again and having read the replies above I'll try and buy the 261.
    I might be back with a review of sorts in the near future!

are you holding on to the ms-250 ?.

bassy wrote: »
    are you holding on to the ms-250 ?.

Yeah. It's a cracker of a saw . 2008 and not a lot of work done.
    It has that tool-less bar removal/ chain tensioner which originally I thought was a gimmick but I like it now. It's woeful handy.

I can't help you on the choice but from memory a lot of the complaints with 550xp originally was around the autotune; I'm not sure if it was dealers not being trained properly or just issues with early tech but you don't hear of it much either way anymore.

This post is on the the 560xp v 362 but it might be helpful to you
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108344684&postcount=8

7 years in now, hundreds of hours running on Aspen 2T and my Mk1 560XPG still doesn’t miss a beat. A cracker of a saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

What sort of money would be sensible to give for a Blue Homelite super xl (not sure whether it's an automatic) in reasonably straight working condition?

There's no mention of chain condition or bar length and condition in the ad. So I'm looking for a very very rough ballpark figure considering the lack if detail :pac:

What sort of money would be sensible to give for a Blue Homelite super xl (not sure whether it's an automatic) in reasonably straight working condition?

There's no mention of chain condition or bar length and condition in the ad. So I'm looking for a very very rough ballpark figure considering the lack if detail :pac:

€150?
    Depends how bad you want one, I suppose.
    We had one when I was a kid, and it was a nightmare to start when hot for some reason.
    Search eBay and perhaps look at www.chainsawcollectors.se , although they usually keep away from pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ay kind of thinking similar to that meself probably round the €100 mark. Plus or minus a bitteen either side.

I kind of have a want for an old saw for some reason the last while for novelty value really more than anything.

I'll report back when I know more hopefully it has an 18" or 20" bar in middlen shape

Advertisement