Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Saw Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I wouldn't bother with adapters or different brands. You can buy the battery replacement kits for those batteries. The 20V stuff is all using much the same type internals, use the same battery and should last about 2-3 years

Ni CD 1.2V SC1500mAh Sub C high power 10C rechargeable battery for Walkie talkie power tools cordless electric drill/Ni Cd 1.2V|Rechargeable Batteries| - AliExpress

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Lidl have a small ultrasonic cleaner at the moment, €25. Can be useful for cleaning carburetors etc. They hold 0.6 L.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wonder if this can take a solvent rather than just water? There's no information on the Lidl site

EDIT Just found some reviews on youtube. The bath is stainless steel so it should be ok. Might be good for chains as well.

Have only tried it for a bit of herself's jewelery so far. Trick is to put what you want to clean in a ziplock bag with whatever you think will clean it. For chains I'd use a glass bottle, then fill the tank up to the mark with plain water.

None in Galway unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭divillybit

Bought a stihl ms 660 lately for 650 euro, twas in very good condition.

Had a Stihl 064 that I bought about 2 years ago for 300 euro. Twas getting a bit shook and needed an overhaul. Got 480 euro for it. The old 066's and 064's are very sought after especially in Australia and America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

What would I pay for a standard chainsaw, I'm a part time farmer and would just use the chainsaw a couple of days per year for cutting fallen trees etc

I would like to get a reputable brand

Like yourself I need a chainsaw for around the farm. I bought a 2nd hand ms250 stihl with a 16" bar. It's my 'small saw' the saw that I do most of the cutting with. I've an ms660, my 'big saw' with a 32" bar for the bigger tree trunks etc. The way kerosene, coal, briquettes etc are gone up in price cutting your own firewood is very worthwhile. The ms 250 cost 250 euro, the ms 660 cost 600 euro. Both Stihl saws bought 2nd hand I very good condition. Couldnt justify buying new saws. I prefer Stihls to Husqvarna personally

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Problem with chainsaw. It starts perfectly and runs perfectly for maybe between 5-10 seconds and then dies a sudden death. I replaced the fuel line up from the filter thinking it was kinking behind the carb. No success. I then removed the carb and cleaned it out. Still the same problem. It is a Stihl MS 390. Any suggestions welcome. Checked filter in fuel tank and cleaned the air filter.

Post edited by Mach Two on

I have an MS 180. This saw has an astronomical amount of timber cut.

• Advertisement

@Mach Two Any progress with getting the MS390 going?

Would the high / low jet setting need adjusting. You could download the user manual for an ms390 and retune it. Could be running too rich or lean causing it to die on ya.

I could try tuning it a bit. I think the factory setting is 3/4 turn and 1/4 turn anti-clockwise. I have everything tried. All filters are fine. The breather is fine I expect as I removed it and tried to run it. I have cleaned the spark plug. Would it not stay running even if was not tuned properly? It dies a sudden death. Like as if all fuel was stopped from it. Could it be the diaphragm in the carburetor I wonder. I opened the carb and checked it. It isn't broken or cracked.

My ms 250 was acting up like that a while back, hard started and when I did get it running it would stop if I tried to rev it up. The L and LA screws needed to be adjusted as the chain wasn't stopping at low idle. Twas great to get the manual online and was able to get it running sound again. Worth a try. Keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

First thing I would do is change the spark plug have seen umpteen plugs that will spark fine when out and spark will die under compression. Also have seen plugs where the ceramic will crack and earth against the cylinder. Blocked fiel thank vent creating a vacuum in the thank as soon as it stops try opening fuel cap you will hear the vacuum releasing .Carb settings wrong.

Dirty carburettor or diaphragms gone in carb.

It is running at high revs for about 5-10 seconds then dies a death and stops. So I am thinking a fuel problem. I will try running it sideways with the fuel cap open a bit.

The carb factory settings are actually 1 full turn back. It is written on the side of the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bassy

One full back turn from where,cause if it's out of tune now then one full back turn will not do it,needs more playing around adjustments than just one full back turn around...

As @bassy said, you'd need to do a factory reset of sorts to your chainsaw. If it's racing when it should be idling it could be getting too much fuel and it may end up getting flooded causing the stall. Possibly.

Check out the screenshot above, it's from the MS390 manual and its fairly straightforward to tune it.

It is not racing when it is idle. It cuts out when I rev it up to the last and then cuts out as if it is starved of fuel.

Tried it with the fuel tank open. Still the same problem.

• Advertisement

Just wondering has anyone ever tried to make their regular full chisel chainsaw chain into a skip tooth chain by cutting off every 2nd tooth? I've a 30 inch bar and chain that I got with my chainsaw (ms660) but I use a 28" bar and full chisel chain but been struggling with cutting some 32" + sized tree trunks with the 28" bar. The chain is sharp and saw is running well, so I'm thinking the saw isint cutting well as the chips aren't clearing quickly enough... Skip chains are common in the states but I don't think they are here... Skip tooth chains are recommended for long bars 30" +. The skip tooth chains are more 'grabby' and more inclined to kick from what I've read.

Tried getting a skip tooth chain online but they wouldn't deliver to Ireland so ended up grinding off every 2nd cutting tooth off an old chain that would fit a 30" bar but leaving all the rakers. Spend some time getting the remaining cutting teeth sharp and pointed and it worked a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Anyone here running a cordless pole saw? I’m considering buying one but don’t know much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Ak84

I bought a sthil cordless polesaw couple weeks ago.

Have not used yet, but power wise it seems a bit slower than the petrol version I used before.

Will be grand for 3 inch branches I assume.

Will post again when I use it.

I have the Stihl GTA Cordless Pruner. It's only 11 volt & you have to take it slower & let the chain do the work but it's an amazing tool. I bought it because of the positive reviews on professional forums & youtube. Because it's one handed you have a free hand to remove the branch. I have cut 6 inch trunks with it & the batteries last well.

You need to keep the chain sharp. The Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener is excellent & quick & easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Thanks for the replies lads. I would only be using this for branches up to 6” in diameter. I had a look online and couldn't see if they were suitable for going in the end of a pole for cutting overhead?

The GTA is purely a hand pruner. Stihl have two pole saw models that run on different battery packs. I suspect that the dearer one would cope with 6 inch branches if you take it gently but it's expensive. For the same money you could probably go with what I use.

Stihl Combi 2 stroke power unit you can also get a battery version.

Pole saw attachment

2 carbon extension poles.

The advantage is that you can add tools as you need them eg. hedgecutter, strimmer etc that all run off the one power unit.

Good battery tools are very expensive but once you have the charger & batteries, you can use them in different tools. It really depends on how often you are using it as to whether it's worth spending more on pro equipment.

I think my neighbour just bought the Lidl battery polesaw - I will report back when I know more.

Any Jonsered 2150 owners here, what are they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Would anyone know where to get Tanaka spares online. Specifically I'm looking for an air filter for a Tanaka ECV4501 which is as per here. I have reached out to this company but not sure if they are genuine. In fairness, with all the products the list, I'm be confident they are genuine plus they take PayPal. If I could find something closer to home all the better. I have gone to a local dealer and hopefully they come back to me shortly but I'm not sure what price it will be. I'd like to have a few spares for down the road.

Have Hitachi bought out Tanaka?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I might be a bit late with this.

Just spotted it. Affects 462 and 391models

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/safety_alerts/safety_alert_for_stihl_chainsaws.html

Advertisement