Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

16GB or 64GB iPhone 6?

• 07-10-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭

OK so I know I'd never use over 64GB so I definitely won't be getting the 128GB iPhone. However, I can't decide between the 64 and 16 GB phones.

I have about 5GB of music and I do like to take photos (I can store the photos on my computer though). Then I would also have some social apps (Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter etc.), as well as some other apps/games.

I already have a 32GB Nexus 7 of which I only use 10GB (17GB free space). I don't store any music on my tablet though.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

If you want that 5gb of music (and more in future) on your iPhone locally then the 64gb all day long as it's just €100 extra to quadruple the storage. No brainer if you plan on using the phone for 2 years. Plenty space for your music, photos and whatever apps you want without having to worry about managing storage all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I went for 16gb but all my music is on iTunes Match. I'll be going for the larger iPad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Definitely 64gb. The only ones that manage with 16gb are the ones that have everything in the cloud or don't use the phone to its full potential. Also remember that iOS takes up a lot of space -so there's a lot less than 16gb for apps etc- and when a new iOS is launched you'll probably need at least 2-3gb free space for over the air update.
    Videos and photos is what takes up most space on mine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Yeah the only thing that was tempting me to get the 16GB was the fact that three (who I plan on going with) won't have the 64GB for another 2 weeks or so. Buy I suppose 2 weeks is nothing if I plan on keeping the phone for around 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Went with a 16GB for myself (got a 64GB for someone else as well). My iPhone 5 is 16GB too and I still have around 2GB left on that. Just use my phone for simple things like email, browsing the internet, social media stuff. Just generic day-to-day things (no games though which usually take up a lot), and never had an issue with space. Have about 2000 pics, 50 videos and about 150 offline songs saved on Spotify (the rest I just stream). With 5GB of music you might want to go with a 64GB though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'll be hard - but wait the two weeks and get the 64GB!

Have had 16GB for the last two years and never again. Apps and the data they use are taking up more and more space. iMovie is nearly 1GB - I couldn't even have it on my iPhone 5.

I have loads of photos/videos of my kids and stuff that I can now keep on my phone and hot have to be constantly dumping them onto a HD to not see the light of day for years.

Having 64GB just removes the hassle or niggling feeling that you're about to run out of space or that you can't really afford the space for that app or album. You won't regret it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah. I’ve comfortably made do with 16GB since the iPhone 3GS, but if/when I get an iPhone 6 I’ll definitely be going for 64GB. 16 isn’t enough anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

8 gig 4s user here. 16 gig would blow my mind!! Oh the possibilities! I don't do photos though and I cycle through music on a week by week basis
    A 64 gig 6 would be fantastic. I'm Too old for Santa unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Dades wrote: »
    I'll be hard - but wait the two weeks and get the 64GB! .
    It's exciting waiting for new tech alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have a 64gb 4s. Well now a iPhone 6. But with iTunes plus. I know longer put all my music on it. I could have easily managed with a 32gb, 16 with a squeeze.

So if you use Itunes plus and are happy enough to have a couple of apps on your phone at one time. I'd say get a 16g.

Bare in mind with the iCloud you only get 5gb. Which is feck all. So if you take lots of priceless pics. (kids, etc.) You will have to take them off when its full anyway. So having all that storage is no use if you ever lose you phone and its full of pics.

• Advertisement

Bare in mind with the iCloud you only get 5gb. Which is feck all. So if you take lots of priceless pics. (kids, etc.) You will have to take them off when its full anyway. So having all that storage is no use if you ever lose you phone and its full of pics.

You can buy more cloud storage or use other providers. I do it the old fashioned way and back up to iTunes (and back up my Mac to a time capsule). Have not removed a single pic since my first iPhone (2g) videos take up so much space I do transfer them occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

I'm waiting for the 64gb anyway. 16gb is just not enough anymore. Most meaty apps are over 500mb and with three or four of these you're in trouble already and then you've to bring the music into the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There's other providers... e.g. Microsoft OneDrive, free 30GB storage. There's an easy to use App for it too.

I think 16GB is too small now too. I don't even have that many big apps and I'm not into games, etc, but I was coming very close to running out of space on my 16GB 5.

I'd have probably been happy with 32GB but since Apple in their infinite wisdom discontinued that size, I went for the 64gb.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    There's other providers... e.g. Microsoft OneDrive, free 30GB storage. There's an easy to use App for it too.

I think 16GB is too small now too. I don't even have that many big apps and I'm not into games, etc, but I was coming very close to running out of space on my 16GB 5.

I'd have probably been happy with 32GB but since Apple in their infinite wisdom discontinued that size, I went for the 64gb.

They were cute hoors in this regard. Loads would have settled for the now basic capacity on most phones of 32gb but apples cut costs and stuck with 16gb. So if you needed a 32gb you now have to go for the 64gb. They must save millions by having the basic model at 16gb.

pedatron wrote: »
    They were cute hoors in this regard. Loads would have settled for the now basic capacity on most phones of 32gb but apples cut costs and stuck with 16gb. So if you needed a 32gb you now have to go for the 64gb. They must save millions by having the basic model at 16gb.

Yes but now there is a massive shortage of 64GB iPhones. They forgot to account for the fact that people who would have bought a 32GB now have to get a 64GB and people who were going to get a 64GB are still going to get that size. So basically two different types of customers now going for the same storage size. Meaning I could be waiting up to 3 weeks to get a new phone

Yes but now there is a massive shortage of 64GB iPhones. They forgot to account for the fact that people who would have bought a 32GB now have to get a 64GB and people who were going to get a 64GB are still going to get that size. So basically two different types of customers now going for the same storage size. Meaning I could be waiting up to 3 weeks to get a new phone

Yeah. serious delays on them. Looks like they got it wrong. Peoples memory requirements are going up all the time. A year ago I wouldn't have even considered anything else only a 16gb. It's funny the way your needs change. Spotify and mobile gaming are my two memory hogs.

You going billpay or sim free?

Yeah. serious delays on them. Looks like they got it wrong. Peoples memory requirements are going up all the time. A year ago I wouldn't have even considered anything else only a 16gb. It's funny the way your needs change. Spotify and mobile gaming are my two memory hogs.

You going billpay or sim free?

Neither I'm planning on going Prepay with 3 as it's €40 cheaper than sim free. I'm nearly tempted to get a sim free one on Apple even if it means an extra €40 just because I'd have it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

They should no longer offer 16gb models.

They should no longer advise me my icloud storage is not enough at 5gb and I have not backed up.

They should no longer warn me to disable location settings as its the one app you need to activate and deactivate for use as its a battery drain.

They settings menu should stop crashing regularly since ios8 :)

I should be allowed to tell my fcuccing phone I have unlimited data and to stop warning me all the time FFS! FO!!!! :D

Two years ago the 32GB iPhone 5 would have been €349 with a 2 year contract from Vodafone, where the 16GB was €249. At least this year the 64GB seemed to be priced at the same level the old 16GB was, and the 16GB iPhone 6 is €100 *cheaper*.

I was quite surprised to see this, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I have a 64gb 4s. Well now a iPhone 6. But with iTunes plus. I know longer put all my music on it. I could have easily managed with a 32gb, 16 with a squeeze.

So if you use Itunes plus and are happy enough to have a couple of apps on your phone at one time. I'd say get a 16g.

99c a month for 20GB iCloud space.... Bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I dont rely on iCloud for my photos.
    I regulary take the photos off my phone and onto my PC but just incase, dropbox backs up my camera roll everytime i get home.

I rely on iCould to rstore the phone, keep my messeges, contacts and settings really tbh.

kceire wrote: »
    I regulary take the photos off my phone and onto my PC but just incase, dropbox backs up my camera roll everytime i get home.
    At what point do you clean out your dropbox, though?

Unlike, say, a €50 1TB portable drive, you have to keep adding capacity to your dropbox account over time and it will cost more to maintain it. That's the reason I don't use iCloud for backing up photos. Sooner or later I'd either have to buy more space or start emptying photos of it like my iPhone - and that's just another hassle.

At what point do you clean out your dropbox, though?

Unlike, say, a €50 1TB portable drive, you have to keep adding capacity to your dropbox account over time and it will cost more to maintain it. That's the reason I don't use iCloud for backing up photos. Sooner or later I'd either have to buy more space or start emptying photos of it like my iPhone - and that's just another hassle.

I don't tbh, I haven't emptied it since I got Dropbox in October 2012. I have 6.9gb of storage on Dropbox, and that means I can delete photos from the camera roll as I go too but I also make sure to dleet the crap that gets auto uploaded daily too.

I suppose you could say I actively manage my photo album, but i'm OCD like that. I have my DSLR for proper photos so the phone is only used on the go as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

What the hell are Apple playing at in fairness.

Every single shop in Ireland seems to have 16GB iPhone 6s which they simply cannot sell, while 64GB Space Grey models are like gold dust.

Why did Apple overproduce the 16GB model, hell why did they produce it at all ?

Why did Apple overproduce the 16GB model, hell why did they produce it at all ?

They had to retain that price packet for sales figures i'd assume. The 16gb is still popular for the younger generation etc

I'd say the "younger generation" is most likely to run out a storage soon. Apple could have easily dropped the 16GB version instead of the 32 (and make 32 the standard). It's not like apple is gonna notice it much in their production cost if your buy parts on that scale.
    However it was probably very smart as now consumers are much more likely to spend €100 more if it gives them 4 times the storage, I think a good few will end up going for 64GB, even apple seems surprised by the demand. The margin/profit on going for the higher memory model is massive for apple.

Two years ago the 32GB iPhone 5 would have been €349 with a 2 year contract from Vodafone, where the 16GB was €249. At least this year the 64GB seemed to be priced at the same level the old 16GB was, and the 16GB iPhone 6 is €100 *cheaper*.

I was quite surprised to see this, tbh.

I don't think that's true. A base model 16Gb iPhone 5 was from €49, the next model up +€100. So a 32GB 5 was from €149, if you paid €249 you weren't on the highest plan (I know 'cause I had exactly this; 32GB 5 and €75/month plan, launch week of iPhone 5, paid €149)
    So the 16gb price is unchanged and for the price of 32 you now get 64 (and 128 for price of 64).
    The drop of the 32GB model did create a strange pricing for the 64GB model, check vodafone yourself and you'll see an iPhone 5s 64GB will cost you more than a 64GB iPhone 6 (was €100 more, now €50 I think)
    Obviously because the 64 iPhone 5s was €200 more than base 16 model 5s and the 64 6 is "only" €100 more than base 16 model 6, still...

64gb iPhones cannot be got as far as I can see. anyone come across them recently?

64gb iPhones cannot be got as far as I can see. anyone come across them recently?

Apple say they'll dispatch one within 10 days if you order off their website. I can't understand why none of the networks are able to get 64GB iPhones in the same timeframe

• Advertisement

Apple say they'll dispatch one within 10 days if you order off their website. I can't understand why none of the networks are able to get 64GB iPhones in the same timeframe

Yeah, 7-10 days on the site yet no mobile network can give me a date on when they'll have them in. Frustrating.

Advertisement