Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Croke Park Hours

• 07-10-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭

In my school we have planned to use the 5 hours for subject planning for each department so what happens when, like me, you're part of two subject departments? Do you do 10 hours? Has this come up in other schools? Have ye decided to prioritise one department over another or go half and half?

I know this might sound like nit picking over 5 hours but I'm getting fed up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

littlebsci wrote: »
    In my school we have planned to use the 5 hours for subject planning for each department so what happens when, like me, you're part of two subject departments? Do you do 10 hours? Has this come up in other schools? Have ye decided to prioritise one department over another or go half and half?

You do 5 hours pro rata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Its 5 hours in total...I assume you go to half and half if that's how your timetable is divided up, or else pro rata as Peter suggests !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

solerina wrote: »
    Its 5 hours in total...I assume you go to half and half if that's how your timetable is divided up, or else pro rata as Peter suggests !!

That's grand, I just wanted to check as the opposite is being expected where I work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

As long as it all comes off the 33 hours, what harm? I'd sooner meet with the other teachers in my departments than the whole school talking about things that don't have much affect on me. I'd be quite happy to do 23 and two 5s rather than 28 and one 5. Unless the 5s were being done in single blocks or something ridiculous like that.

Just don't forget that it's 33 hours extra so don't get conned into doing 38.

Or did that 33 go up with Haddington? I've lost track to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

33 hours?????
    Is it not 47 hours now....................they were all drawn up,(not by the teachers,may I add) all 47 in our place and will be virtually completed by end of November then for the rest of the year we will have 'good effn will 'meetings or so we were told.There are some whole school events coming up shortly that will entail teachers being in school for the whole day teaching and then assisting with 'the big event' until nearing midnight with NO Croke Parke hours given for same!!! I would gladly do 33 hours instead of the sh1t that is thrown at us this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭2011abc

If that aint a 'let them eat cake' moment nothing is .Time to get the guillotine out for your management methinks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭doc_17

ethical wrote: »
    33 hours?????
    Is it not 47 hours now....................they were all drawn up,(not by the teachers,may I add) all 47 in our place and will be virtually completed by end of November then for the rest of the year we will have 'good effn will 'meetings or so we were told.There are some whole school events coming up shortly that will entail teachers being in school for the whole day teaching and then assisting with 'the big event' until nearing midnight with NO Croke Parke hours given for same!!! I would gladly do 33 hours instead of the sh1t that is thrown at us this year.

If you have a CID or permanent job then you're mad to do what they're asking. Just don't do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

doc_17 wrote: »
    If you have a CID or permanent job then you're mad to do what they're asking. Just don't do it!

Exactly. Where the hell is your union rep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just pick a department and go to the planning meeting. Or not. Seriously, if you are the only teacher of a subject in a school then give that subject priority because no one else is going to do it, and if there is an inspection, it's all going to be on your shoulders.

If there are multiple people doing your subjects then split between the two as you see fit. We normally allocate some of the first day back when we do 6 CP hours to subject planning. A timetable of subject groups is put up. I'm often put into two at the same time, so I just go to whichever one I think needs priority. I don't give it a second thought after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

33 hours?????

Croke Park hours are 33. There has been no change to that number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

If you include m58/04 there's another 12 hours. 3x3 for parent teacher meetings and 3x1 for staff meetings that were to be half in half out.

Our last two-hour croke park meeting started at about ten past 4 and ended at half 5. We all have work to do but we'll get it done in our own time, no need to be locked in a room with 40 others to do it.

In fairness some meetings are needed. The rest of the time should be spent working, 33hours of meetings and then do the work is a disaster. Half hour meeting, go away and do what needs to be done, happy days.

33 hours?????

WTF is going on in your school?

One interesting thing I noticed in the staffroom was three separate meetings carrying on among various subject departments . . . All eating their lunch whilst fulfilling the 5 hours

Working during your lunch break and then subbing and supervising unpaid now appear to be normalised.

The unions are a disgrace to have allowed this to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

Folks,those hours are punitive,they're a bit like community service. Conceived in an era where you paid a premium just to have a job.Never forget that!!

If any of us were to sign off on the hours that we spend on prep and corrections,it would be very much in excess of 33 per year. In fact more like per 33 per month and counting. Never forget that either!

And regarding those five "free hours": a lot depends on what your principal will allow. But my advice is do whatever is simplest and easiest. Because at the end of the day you still have to do the main job,those hours are merely supplementary,to keep the critics at bay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

One interesting thing I noticed in the staffroom was three separate meetings carrying on among various subject departments . . . All eating their lunch whilst fulfilling the 5 hours

Working during your lunch break and then subbing and supervising unpaid now appear to be normalised.

Yes I've noticed this too. But any GP will tell you that you don't eat and work. Simple as.

So what kind of muppets are actaully doing this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭doc_17

acequion wrote: »
    Folks,those hours are punitive,they're a bit like community service. Conceived in an era where you paid a premium just to have a job.Never forget that!!

If any of us were to sign off on the hours that we spend on prep and corrections,it would be very much in excess of 33 per year. In fact more like per 33 per month and counting. Never forget that either!

And regarding those five "free hours": a lot depends on what your principal will allow. But my advice is do whatever is simplest and easiest. Because at the end of the day you still have to do the main job,those hours are merely supplementary,to keep the critics at bay!

Do you think it's working? Keeping the critics at bay?

You're dead right about the correction work etc. I know I give way less tests than I used to, just don't want to have the find the time the time to correct them. Between CP hours and added S&S responsibilities I just couldn't be bothered. Like many of you I was more productive and did more pre CP hours. That's not to say I'm not busy or don't assess my students. I just don't do it as often as I once did. So students lose out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Couldn't find anywhere else this may have been addressed so gonna chance this!

Management in our ETB school have assigned meetings to happen during an assigned week. They asked to be informed of time of meetings so they can attend (briefly or otherwise). They also insist the meetings take place after school.

Can these dept meetings (5 hrs) take place at lunchtime or do they have to be after school?

Any link to this information would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Couldn't find anywhere else this may have been addressed so gonna chance this!

Management in our ETB school have assigned meetings to happen during an assigned week. They asked to be informed of time of meetings so they can attend (briefly or otherwise). They also insist the meetings take place after school.

Can these dept meetings (5 hrs) take place at lunchtime or do they have to be after school?

Any link to this information would be appreciated.

They can take place at lunchtime provided you can do at least 30 minutes in one sitting. Just be mindful though that if somone is rostered for supervision they would need a swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

They can take place at lunchtime provided you can do at least 30 minutes in one sitting. Just be mindful though that if somone is rostered for supervision they would need a swap.

That's perfect, tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

There's something wrong if you're not allowed eat your lunch or collect your kids after school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

There's something wrong if you're not allowed eat your lunch or collect your kids after school.

Theres something very wrong with a system that does not acknowledge all the extra hours/effort/extra curricular put in, that asks for more and more hrs under the label productivity that are actually just useless box ticking admin, that does resource its workers reasonably (in terms of time/ and class sizes +other working conditions) ...and that keeps coming back to the well looking for more on top of this.

Theres something even more wrong with a group that acquiesces quietly to this and drags everyone down with them.

Advertisement