Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowdfunded Rock/Metal projects

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Stuff like that is taking the piss for bigger bands. Bush were MASSIVE a couple of years ago so they would have no trouble getting a record label to help them out. Buckcherry would also have a decent following.

It smacks of them wanting to make as much money as they can by cutting out labels imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Stuff like that is taking the piss for bigger bands. Bush were MASSIVE a couple of years ago so they would have no trouble getting a record label to help them out. Buckcherry would also have a decent following.

It smacks of them wanting to make as much money as they can by cutting out labels imo.

It's a sad sign of the times when you see formerly "big" bands going "cap in hand" to crowdfunding options.

Not sure about cutting out the labels though, Obituary's latest was crowd funded, just for the recording part and is now being released and distributed by Relapse Records.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Devin Crowdfunded Casualties of Cool, with the excess going towards Z2

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Devin Crowdfunded Casualties of Cool, with the excess going towards Z2

Apparently he raised over 500% of the intended goal too which will surely go a long way towards the production values on Z2. Maybe Ziltoid will no longer be a hand-puppet but will be fully animatronic. :D

Erm... What exactly is the problem with that? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Earache have used kickstarter to fund their vinyl reissues for smaller bands of the 90s like Lawnmower Death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

An interesting avenue for up and coming bands to explore. It's basically asking your audience to pay for the album in advance - which I don't think is a bad thing at all.

That being said, seeing multi-millionaires like Gavin Rossdale trying to exploit this just seems crass. Should get his missus to stump up a couple of grand while he's at it.

Edit - In regards to Earache re-issuing old albums via crowd funding; I'm fairly sure I read that a couple of the majors are looking into re releasing some of their artist's back catalogs using a similar method.

Talk about the fox in the henhouse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

The great kerbdog have done it.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/congregation

I see weezer are on there. they must be bloody loaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I think it's a great avenue for a lot of bands to take, new or established.

Obviously there's not much money to be made in actually making records now, they just have to tour non stop. So I think it's great that smaller bands that can't afford to do that, or even more established groups who have ambitious projects can raise the money and focus on the work.

It's also nice to think that the funds go straight to the artist themselves without a middleman.
    Even a moderately backed project would be a huge deal for a small. up and coming band

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Advertisement
Advertisement