Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Main St - sealed off

Options
  • 08-10-2014 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭

I noticed a chunk of North Main St near the Dunnes Stores shopping centre cordoned off with Garda crime scene tape this morning. Something to be aware of if you drive that way to head towards Washington St.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

opus wrote: »
    I noticed a chunk of North Main St near the Dunnes Stores shopping centre cordoned off with Garda crime scene tape this morning. Something to be aware of if you drive that way to head towards Washington St.

Bit of a wall on a derelict site fell down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

evilivor wrote: »

Result of the impressive storm last night I guess, glad to hear it wasn't anything more sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not that surprised, there's a share of abandoned kips around town alright.
    Should have done something about them instead of firing money at poorly designed cycle lanes before someone gets killed with falling masonry (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Should have done something about them instead of firing money at poorly designed cycle lanes before someone gets killed with falling masonry (again)

The buildings are the responsibility of their owners.

The buildings are the responsibility of their owners.

Is there any pressure put on them to do anything with them/make them safe?

Some buildings in the city centre are in such a state they look like something you'd see in a developing country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Yup, we shouldn't have cycle facilities because privately owned buildings are being abandoned and neglected by their owners. This is a bizarre view. "Cyclists cause falling masonry shocka"

mire wrote: »
    Yup, we shouldn't have cycle facilities because privately owned buildings are being abandoned and neglected by their owners. This is a bizarre view. "Cyclists cause falling masonry shocka"

Maybe things should be prioritised, that's all. The lanes are nice but they're hardly a dire necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Maybe things should be prioritised, that's all. The lanes are nice but they're hardly a dire necessity.

People have different opinions on what should be prioritised.

And I would think that cycle lanes are necessary. It will encourage people to cycle more if the infrastructure is there. Also, with the Cork Bike Scheme due to be up and running in the next few months, these lanes are essential for it to succeed.

Yes they have created extra traffic flow delays, but some people should be exploring different transportation methods, particularly those with short journeys.
    All the signs of a cleaner, more progressive city and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I would argue that the City Council have a duty of responsibility towards the citizens of the city to ensure that buildings are kept in a safe condition and this is legally pursued.

No amount of spending on cycle lanes/ art work/ landscaping, etc is going to do any good if history repeats itself and someone dies because falling masonry.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I also agree with you, but this is CCC we're talking about. Not exactly seeing-the-bigger-picture and forward thinking kind of people.

• Advertisement

I used the lanes and tbh, they're not great. Pedestrians wander into them and use them as footpaths, they're disjointed and they start and end in random places. I managed fine without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

blow69 wrote: »
    I also agree with you, but this is CCC we're talking about. Not exactly seeing-the-bigger-picture and forward thinking kind of people.

True. Very true. I also think that there is no point in spending a fortune on cycle lanes when there is no overall scheme. Wouldn't it be brilliant to know that a cyclist could get from Douglas to Mayfield without taking their lives into their own hands/ having an unnecessary impact on traffic? Unnecessary impact if the system was properly designed I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

I used the lanes and tbh, they're not great. Pedestrians wander into them and use them as footpaths, they're disjointed and they start and end in random places. I managed fine without them.
    ""Pedestrians wander into them and use them as footpaths"
    The same can be said of cyclists,using the public footpaths to cycle on,in the last few weeks I was nearly ran down three times on a public footpath by a cyclists in the city.:mad:

Advertisement