Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9-12 month developmental check

Options
  • 08-10-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I phoned my public health nurse when my little fella was 10 months as I never received a letter about his 9-12 developmental check (it says on the HSE website that this is carried out by a doctor and we should receive a letter), she said that he had a 7 month check up and that would be sufficient. On the website it lists the 7 month check up separately.

Did anyone else receive this letter about the 9-12 month check, I have no concerns about my little boy (now 14 months) but wonder if it's something I should follow up on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I was told by my local PHN that this check was abolished and the next one after the 6/7 month check is the 18month-2 year check, I had no concerns either about my boy but I rang anyway just to check he hadn'd fallen through a crack in the system, crazy I know, but what with staff shortages etc was the explanation I got ........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I honestly think they make/change the rules arbitrarily depending on the clinic , staffing levels etc. My phn once told me on one of the kids that I missed one of the developmental checks. I hadn't a clue what she was talking about but told her we had attended all the checks we're were notified of.

I think my son got a lot more than my daughter but the clinic has lost some phns and I'm guessing that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

There's a check between 7-9 months. At 8 months I phoned my PHN to book an appointment since I wanted to organise it as far in advance as possible as I am back at work now. I got told that the 7-9 month check gets booked by the local HSE office not with the PHN and I'd automatically get an appointment in the post in the coming weeks. Got nothing so thought to myself last week I must ring and see what the story is. Then this morning I got a call from the PHN asking why I missed my appointment this morning! I explained that I never got any notice of the appointment so she was nice enough about it and booked us in for tomorrow. Total disaster of a system though - differs from health centre to health centre and PHN to PHN. And half the time check ups are overlooked or left so long that they overlap with another check and both get done together.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can just make an appt with the PHN and get a check when ever you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    You can just make an appt with the PHN and get a check when ever you want to.

It very much depends on the PHN. Sime won't just see you if they don't think there is any need for concern and will just tell you to come back at thr next dev. check. There is a drop in clinic but other than that it depends on how good the PHN is and some of them are seriously lacking compared to others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

We just had our 7-9 month developmental check (at almost 9 months), and were told that the next one will be at 18-24 months.

If all was fine at the 7 month check, I'd be inclined to wait until closer to the 18 month check and make an appointment then. Do push for getting it on time though rather than ending up not having it until closer to the 24 months - seeing as you had the 7-9 month check early on.

I do think it all varies a lot between the different centres, and it all seems quite badly organised. I've had to chase up with them to organise all of our check-ups, and I know several others with different centres who have had the same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

We only got the 7month check up at 9months and the 18-24 month check up at 23months!! That's it and his not back until his 3!

Advertisement