Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam Emails

Options
  • 08-10-2014 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

Is there no means by which Eircom can block scam emails purporting to be from Eircom?

I have received several in the last few days similar this one

UPDATE YOUR EIRCOM WEBMAIL ACCOUNT 8 October, 2014 09:37  
      Email Administrator   <krr229@charter.net>
    Reply To: department1@engineer.com 

Dear Valid EIRCOM Subscriber,

This message is from the EIRCOM Email Administrator IT Service to all our email account subscribers.You are to provide to us the below information to revalidate your account due to spam and to EIRCOM upgrade the New Month spam version. Notice: Your EIRCOM Email account will be expired after a week, if you do not revalidate or EIRCOM date your account. Please do co-operate with us so we can serve you better, contact the Adminstrator!!****

User Name:
    Password:
    Confirm Your Password:
    Alternative Email :

Thank You.
    EIRCOM Email Administrator

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Is there no means by which Eircom can block scam emails purporting to be from Eircom?

This message is from the EIRCOM Email Administrator IT Service to all our email account subscribers.You are to provide to us the below information to revalidate your account due to spam and to EIRCOM upgrade the New Month spam version. Notice: Your EIRCOM Email account will be expired after a week, if you do not revalidate or EIRCOM date your account. Please do co-operate with us so we can serve you better, contact the Adminstrator!!****

User Name:
    Password:
    Confirm Your Password:
    Alternative Email :

Thank You.
    Hi Johnboy1951

I fully understand the level of concern however these scams operatate at a level where eircom cannot police or prevent. There are programmes available to prevent receiving such emails or which marks such emails as spam such as email protector (http://email.eircom.net/emailProtector/?view=Eircomnet) or other internet security programmes like Mcafee & Norton internet security,

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

User Name:
    Password:
    Confirm Your Password:
    Alternative Email :

Thank You.
    Hi Johnboy1951

I fully understand the level of concern however these scams operatate at a level where eircom cannot police or prevent. There are programmes available to prevent receiving such emails or which marks such emails as spam such as email protector (http://email.eircom.net/emailProtector/?view=Eircomnet) or other internet security programmes like Mcafee & Norton internet security,

Thanks

Al
    I fail to understand why Eircom cannot check the sender info ...... as you can see this purports to come from Eircom, but the sender's email address is not one of Eircom's.

Simply checking for emails from "Eircom" and when found ensuring the sender address is valid would eliminate the majority of such scams.

Instead it seems that in place of this being done once by Eircom it should be done by all customers?

Just does not seem reasonable to me.

BTW ...... what was that link supposed to be?
    It brought up a log in window for me to fill out ..... something about Mediasurface whatever that is! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

User Name:
    Password:
    Confirm Your Password:
    Alternative Email :

Thank You.
    Hi Johnboy1951

Thanks

Al
    I fail to understand why Eircom cannot check the sender info ...... as you can see this purports to come from Eircom, but the sender's email address is not one of Eircom's.

Simply checking for emails from "Eircom" and when found ensuring the sender address is valid would eliminate the majority of such scams.

Instead it seems that in place of this being done once by Eircom it should be done by all customers?

BTW ......  what was that link supposed to be?
    It brought up a log in window for me to fill out .....  something about  Mediasurface   whatever that is!  :eek:

Hi Johnboy1951

I understand your views but I can only clarify that this cannot be arranged as you have suggested, the emails are not from eircom and eircom have no control on the them. I'm unable to offer you operational detail that would explain this I'm afraid.

Apologies for the bad link - that's an outdated one. Please try this for more info: http://support.eircom.net/article/how-does-eircom-net-email-protector-work-

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

User Name:
    Password:
    Confirm Your Password:
    Alternative Email :

Thank You.
    Hi Johnboy1951

Thanks

Al

BTW ......  what was that link supposed to be?
    It brought up a log in window for me to fill out .....  something about  Mediasurface   whatever that is!  :eek:

Hi Johnboy1951

I understand your views but I can only clarify that this cannot be arranged as you have suggested, the emails are not from eircom and eircom have no control on the them. I'm unable to offer you operational detail that would explain this I'm afraid.

Apologies for the bad link - that's an outdated one. Please try this for more info: http://support.eircom.net/article/how-does-eircom-net-email-protector-work-

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for the correct link .....  from which I get this ......
    If the e-mail is identified as possible spam then all messages that are unquestionable spam will be blocked but all messages that are border-line spam will be delivered to you with a modified Subject (it will start with the phrase [Might be spam]). This allows you to easily spot, and even automatically filter spam messages into a separate folder in your e-mail program, without missing any important messages.

Why cannot emails that are obviously scam/spam purporting to be from Eircom be marked as such .....  just as other emails are?

It could not possibly be difficult to achieve, based on the info in that link.

If I received an email from Eircom to say a Yahoo or Google email account, the that would be suspicious.

But Eircom, delivering emails to an Eircom email address, that are obviously invalidly marked as from Eircom, shouts out to me that Eircom are not endeavouring to protect their customers.

A quite simple rule ....  if the email is from Eircom, check the sender's address and if a valid Eircom address then ok, and if not then quarantine the email, or at minimum mark it as scam/spam/whatever.

There is no valid reason Eircom would not do this ..... it would even be in their own interest to protect the name/brand!

Advertisement