Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name appearing in phone directory without permission

Options
  • 08-10-2014 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

We're with UPC for our phone and broadband. Have been for the past two years. When signing up we specifically said that we did not want our number to appear in the telephone directory. Got the new directory delivered the other day and lo and behold, there was my name in its full glory including my title :eek:. I'm livid. I work in a school and do not want the students to see my address or phone number. How has this happened? I pay the phone bill but it's my partners house and if we had agreed to put our number in the directory it would have been under their name.

Obviously I will be contacting UPC about this but was wondering if this had happened to anyone else and if so, why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

It's as simple as clicking the wrong button when they place the BB order. Contact them and ask to be changed to ex-directory or unlisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

It's as simple as clicking the wrong button when they place the BB order. Contact them and ask to be changed to ex-directory or unlisted.

Done that. It was their error. No good to me now though, I'm in the directory for all to see :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Kids looking in phone books. That's not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

We're with UPC for our phone and broadband. Have been for the past two years. When signing up we specifically said that we did not want our number to appear in the telephone directory. Got the new directory delivered the other day and lo and behold, there was my name in its full glory including my title :eek:. I'm livid. I work in a school and do not want the students to see my address or phone number. How has this happened? I pay the phone bill but it's my partners house and if we had agreed to put our number in the directory it would have been under their name.

Obviously I will be contacting UPC about this but was wondering if this had happened to anyone else and if so, why?

Kids could find that out in 5 minutes online without need of the directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,056 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kids knowing what a phone book is would surprise me these days. Phone UPC, it'll be gone from the online directories next update and from the paper one next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

You should be more worried about them finding Facebook pictures of you on a Friday at 2am in Coppers 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I would concur, once phone number is out there it can not be reclaimed. Of course upc could offer to change the number but is it worth the hassle??

Plates wrote: »
    You should be more worried about them finding Facebook pictures of you on a Friday at 2am in Coppers 😊

Never going to happen! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This happened to me when I was with Eircom. They gave me a new number, a couple of digits different from the old one.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

We were all at school at one stage. Maybe it's just me, but I never trawled the phone book looking for a teachers name. Hell, I couldn't even have told you where they lived. Would you like a number change?

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    We were all at school at one stage. Maybe it's just me, but I never trawled the phone book looking for a teachers name. Hell, I couldn't even have told you where they lived. Would you like a number change?

No, I don't want a number change, I'm just annoyed that its happened. I wasn't in the last phone book so don't understand why I'm there now?

And yes, we did look for our teachers addresses when we were in school!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

But times have changed since you were in school. A phone book is something most kids these days will never open. I don't even know anyone who keeps a phone book. Mine goes into the stove when it arrives, after i rip the cover off. Grand heat it gives off :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

No, I don't want a number change, I'm just annoyed that its happened. I wasn't in the last phone book so don't understand why I'm there now?

Hoist by your own petard!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If your 21st century pupils really want to find out where you live, they're more likely to stick a GPS tracker on your car rather than look you up in the phonebook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I work in a school and do not want the students to see my address or phone number.

Maybe show the kids a phone book and ask them what it is - I doubt if any of them know what it is, let alone that any of them have ever even opened on up.

Does ANYONE use a physical phonebook these days?

OK. Forget about the school scenario. Supposing I was running away with my children from an abusive husband and had set up a new life for myself in a different county. I had done everything to protect my identity including ensuring that my new telephone number was private. Then out comes the telephone directory with all my details in it. These details also appear on-line for anyone to see. I am now back to living in fear. Not so funny now eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

OK. Forget about the school scenario. Supposing I was running away with my children from an abusive husband and had set up a new life for myself in a different county. I had done everything to protect my identity including ensuring that my new telephone number was private. Then out comes the telephone directory with all my details in it. These details also appear on-line for anyone to see. I am now back to living in fear. Not so funny now eh? :rolleyes:

If I drove my car and suddenly had a heart attack and then the car suddenly swerved into a building and just at that moment, there was a gas cylinder which blew up and caused another reaction to cause a fire that spread to other buildings and the net result was 500 people to die.

It COULD happen - likewise I could win the Irish and Eure lottery for 6 weeks in a row.

The concern I have is someone with such a negative train of thought is teaching children!

Mods, can you close this now please? It's turning into 'Open Mic Night' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I agree - this is going off track at this stage. Closing thread

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement