Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in the dark or all the facts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Neyite wrote: »
    I think a debrief afterwards of your labour would be great, say at the 6 week checkup.

After my EMCS the surgeons who performed it came around to me the next morning to ask if I'd any questions for them but I didnt - I was still dazed, in awe of my little one, just delighted he was here.

It was only in the weeks afterwards when I was healing that I wondered about failure to progress (my EMCS reason) and had questions based on that.

Is that not a thing in Ireland? Here in NZ it's a midwife led service that goes through pregnancy to six weeks post partum and they do a full debrief of your labour- she gets you to tell your story and then does a sort of fill-in-the-blanks with technical stuff.

I had a bit of a traumatic labour with my second and when I was pregnant with my third the midwives devoted one whole visit to talking about what had happened and how to make me feel comfortable and avoid the same thing happening subsequently.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Is that not a thing in Ireland? Here in NZ it's a midwife led service that goes through pregnancy to six weeks post partum and they do a full debrief of your labour- she gets you to tell your story and then does a sort of fill-in-the-blanks with technical stuff.

I had a bit of a traumatic labour with my second and when I was pregnant with my third the midwives devoted one whole visit to talking about what had happened and how to make me feel comfortable and avoid the same thing happening subsequently.

Nope, not in my experience anyway. I know where to move to if I have another baby though :D. The NZ system sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Pre and post natal care is the real difference between public and private IME. I had a full check up both times with my consultant 11 weeks post section. She went through the reasons for the sections (even though I was well aware of them), checked the scar, checked how my uterus was doing, advised on contraception and offered a further follow up if i felt it was necessary, which I didn't. I also had her overseeing my care during my hospital stay and I felt I had a better experience than friends who went private, because there was simply more time available for me to ask about things.
    I had the usual GP appointment at two weeks (I think?) and while my GP is great in many ways I felt the follow up with the consultant made much more sense, as she had been the one there before, during and after the births.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Neyite wrote: »
    Nope, not in my experience anyway. I know where to move to if I have another baby though :D. The NZ system sounds great.

It really is. I know I keep going on about it here and elsewhere but it's fantastic and because you don't ever see a doctor unless you're high risk it's actually way cheaper for the government. Also it's all free (even for our first when we my oh was on a work permit and I was on a working holiday visa) and there's no shared labour ward- straight to the delivery suite, then to a private room with bathroom and lazyboy recliner for Dad to sleep on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

This thread is bringing back some hard memories...not good when I'm due a scheduled section in a couple of weeks!!

I'm happy I was in the dark I suppose, there's no way I could have prepared for labour, plus I was afraid enough deep down anyway!

In regard to actually being given facts... the worst is when staff tell you different things. My experience of that is when my labour had failed to progress, they had tested a part of my babies scalp, (I hadn't a clue what this was about) most of the team left the room leaving us with one midwife. I asked her what was going on, she said that baby was in distress and they were going to do a section. Myself and my husband were worried and when the team arrived back, I was all anxious asking if my daughter was ok, and the doctor queried why I was asking these questions. I said because my baby is in distress, only for the doctor to say 'we have no reason to think that' and myself and my husband just looked at the midwife in question, too tired to argue. It was bizarre.

I was c-sectioned anyway, and had been told I wasn't trying to push properly (reading '1.30am : Poor Maternal Effort' in my notes at my booking visit for this pregnancy was so upsetting I was in tears, because I was trying so so hard)

The next day, the nicer doctor that had been on visited me, and said my daughter was just too big for my pelvis, which is why things hadn't progressed. This, I found scary, because I thought your pelvis expanded. Then when I met my consultant during this pregnancy, and was giving my reasons for wanting a section this time, he said that my daughters size had nothing to do with failure to progress, it was to do with the fact she was sunny side up ?!? After a year and a half of thinking her size was the cause?!

And the midwife informed me I had hemorrhaged nearly a litre of blood as well, and said sometimes people are so out of it that they forget....I had been under a general anesthetic for the section, but I know for a fact that noone came and told us that! I remember the silliest little things and exactly who came to visit me!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    It really is. I know I keep going on about it here and elsewhere but it's fantastic and because you don't ever see a doctor unless you're high risk it's actually way cheaper for the government. Also it's all free (even for our first when we my oh was on a work permit and I was on a working holiday visa) and there's no shared labour ward- straight to the delivery suite, then to a private room with bathroom and lazyboy recliner for Dad to sleep on!

I love the NZ system!!! Sooooo much more efficient than the Irish system. And the hospitals aren't from the Stone Age like they are here. If it wasn't for my family being here id be back there in a shot! I miss it :(

Advertisement