Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens Jewellery

Options
  • 08-10-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

One of the grandparents of our children wants to buy him a football teamed ring

He is 6 years old and we are not keen on the idea at all

do we say something to the grandparent and hurt her feelings or just role with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

A nice way to say it without actually saying it is to say to the grandparent that you think he's too young for it and wouldn't mind it properly, he'd only lose it etc... and then throw out a few suggestions that you think might go down well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Plus he'd have to take it off playing football.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

thanks guys! will give this a shot this weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Personally I think that sounds really tacky and knackery. :o I can understand why you wouldn't want it!

How about if you tell them that his school has a strict policy that forbids jewellery? (Which may well be the case.) Say that it seems like a waste when he can't wear it in school, he can't wear it when playing (in case of injury, could easily happen), and anyways his little fingers will have outgrown it very soon. Maybe something like a framed photo of the football club, or a stationery set, or a jersey, would be more appropriate?

Personally I think that sounds really tacky and knackery. I can understand why you wouldn't want it!

BINGO!!!!

Very feckn frustrating person to deal with makes it that tad bit difficult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'd imagine the young fella would prefer the jersey/tracksuit/quilt cover. Try suggesting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

theenergy wrote: »

Very feckn frustrating person to deal with makes it that tad bit difficult

if that's the case and it is a grandparent you can't say no to, let them buy it, as a parent i find it's easy for these things to be put in their room and never be worn/used again,

if they pass remarks on why he isn't wearing it you simply respond with "it's a lovely gift but he just isn't into jewellery yet," or something thereabouts, that is if he doesn't tell them himself :D

we had a similar issue with a grandparent of our child buying gifts that they (the adult) wanted rather than what she wanted or was suitable for her, and after a few times of them receiving a polite "thank you" as she went off playing elsewhere they have since started buying things she has an interest in or things more suited for her, and now get huge enjoyment of her gasps and squeals of delight and her excited thank you's!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It sounds tacky. Maybe you could suggest that it might be better to give it when he is an older teenager and his fingers have grown to full size. (And then hope they forget about it or at least your son will be older and able to state he doesn't want it himself).

ok

i had the chat with the grandparent...

i said that we dont think it would be best for our son to be wearing a ring at 6 years old.... that we thought it looked really tacky and knackery (exact words)..

she wasnt too impressed at first however she agreed with us

we got a call later to ask would a watch be ok .... no a bother!

cheers for the advice guys! :)

Advertisement