Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Computer Dell Vostro 3360

Options
  • 08-10-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I had a laptop stolen Sunday night Monday morn in Rathmines I don't think the their can get into it so will probably wipe I can't imagine it would sell for more than €50 It is worth far more than that to me for the stuff on it. Any one any idea where it might end up? Reward offered.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Adverts.ie, donedeal, cash shops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

If there is an ordinary password on it, you can assume it's already wiped.

Your ordinary laptop passwords are ineffective. The only merit in having a password is in circumstances where you have confidential, or sensitive information stored on your device, and you'd prefer this data wiped when the device is stolen.

A thief is less likely to wipe the laptop with no password.

A thief is unlikely to risk an online sale for such a low-calue device. Your best bet would be to approach laptop repair shops, or similar shops which you think might purchase second-hand laptops. The usual culprits are on Moore Street.

A second incentive to approaching these shops is that they require ID before purchasing laptops. They're well used to AGS visits, so they cover their asses. This would help track down the thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

All Windows Passwords are easy to crack, regardless of complexity. The only relatively safe way to secure your data is to encrypt the drive itself with encryption software.

21/25

Advertisement