Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has a Jehovah's Witnesses every converted someone on the doorstep

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Omackeral wrote: »
    As I said, I've no affiliation to any religion and am far from learned on any in-depth but if anyone has any questions from the point of an 11 year old young lad, I'll do my best!

Your only 11 ? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I've always wanted to know why this Jehovah guy needed witnesses.
    Because someone had to make sure that that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

whupdedo wrote: »
    Your only 11 ? :eek:

If you read the first line of the post you'd see that I left the religion before starting secondary school so that's why I said that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Knasher wrote: »
    The Mormons founder was a convicted conman, and when he was killed, he was waiting trial for conspiracy to commit murder and treason.
    I seem to remember seeing a documentary years ago on TV where it said that Joseph Smith and his followers were run out of New York state by other religious groups. They moved to Tennessee (I think) and there they gained a few new followers. One of these was a young girl that Joe took a fancy to. Being married, he got around this problem by getting a second visit from the angel Moroni who told him that it was OK to have multiple wives. Wife number one wasn't happy but Joe said it was God's will.
    This was the basis of the policy of polygamy practised by Mormons until the 1930s or 1940s when federal law prohibited polygamous marriages.
    Was he a conman? Absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I knew a kid in secondary school who was a Mormon. Funny guy. He was smoking weed and drinking and stuff though.

I met him a couple of years after school and he had reformed... had done his 'service' abroad and was living 'the proper Mormon life'. Still a good guy but It seemed his girlfriend and all his current friends were Mormon now though. I guess that may be partly because none of them would drink or schmoke or whatever so they were in the same boat. I'd say that would make them more dogmatic though.

I find the beliefs to be repressive and obnoxioua though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

When I was in my teens I worked in a kebab place in my small town in Donegal, for this legend of a man from Iran, Pedro was his name. One day he got two Jehovahs guys knocking on his door. He answered and pretended not to speak any English. They tried asking him what language he spoke, and he said Farsi. They went digging into their briefcase and handed him a copy of the magazines in Farsi.
    They commit to the job, you have to give them that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My boyfriend almost barfed on JW callers. He wasn't in bed long, really drunk, when there was an almighty racket at the door. He jumped out of bed completely startled, stumbled towards the window (which was over the front door) to see who it was.

The fright, sudden movement, copious amount of alcohol and fresh air made him feel queasy and he threw up out through the window.

He didn't get them with it but they never called back either

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Having some kind of community to be a part of can be pretty important and it's a hard thing to find. A bunch of welcoming individuals showing up at your doorstep of someone who feels cut off from the world could be gradually embraced after a few visits. The people they actually succeed with are probably so far out on the fringes of the community in which they live that people wouldn't even realise they've only converted recently.

I totally get why Scientology is so popular with wealthy people; if I had tons of success and money to piss away but still felt like crap, I could see myself letting them try to brainwash me into joining their cult to fill that void.

• Advertisement

The Witnesses should probably be very careful to spell out the deal in their efforts to convert, since places in heaven are limited to a total of 144,000. Converts more recent than the 1930's are condemned to existing on post-Armageddon Earth. It's not a bargain, is it?
    Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that only 144,000 people will go to heaven. God chooses these 144,000 individuals, the process began with the first century Christians and was completed in the year 1935. Of course from 1879 (the year the Watchtower started) till 1935 only faithful Jehovah’s Witnesses were chosen for this special role. All faithful Jehovah’s Witnesses not chosen to be among the 144,000 elite that go to heaven (those joining the Watchtower after 1935) will spend eternity on earth. All other people on the earth will be destroyed at war of Armageddon here on earth. This would also include any Jehovah's Witnesses who has been disfellowshipped or is otherwise unfaithful to the Watchtower and has not worked his or her way back into the good graces of the Watchtower by the time of Armageddon.

Of course they hold out the promise that more might, possibly, perhaps, get in. And you might, possibly, perhaps, be one of them. Maybe.

http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/statistics/partakers.htm

Yep, it's so arbitrary and ridiculous.

Also, you would have to be from one of those particular tribes. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Werent the Jacksons JW? I saw an interview recently with his mother saying how she still goes door to door witnessing. Imagine her showing up at your door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Werent the Jacksons JW? I saw an interview recently with his mother saying how she still goes door to door witnessing. Imagine her showing up at your door!

I'm sorry Miss Jackson...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

JW : I'm here to bring the Light into your life
    ME (turning around and shouting inside : Sweetie, someone from the ESB here to talk to you

(sorry, couldn't resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

im not sure if i agree with them all being very nice people assessment on here.

don't know what religion they were but i personally know of a family who lost a family member to a sudden accident. door knockers turned up and about ten houses in the area asked the door knockers not to call to this one particular house as they had just lost a child that morning.

they called anyway and told the mother all sorts of heart breaking horrid things regarding honoring the dead being wrong, they were asked to leave and never return not by the mother who was to shocked with loss to respond but by fellow neighbours who could see what was going on.

this was many years ago and i still hold a grudge against all religious door callers.
    i dont care what religion you are you should respect human decency and a mothers right to morn her child if she pleases.
    sorry if i sound angry this event has always annoyed me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement