Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof garden

• 08-10-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I recently built a flat roof (slight slope) garage at the rear of the house and got the roofer to cover it in rubber building a perimeter around it. The idea was to put a wildflower or similar there but its difficult to find any garden center that has done this before. Anyone familar or maybe have done a low maintainance rooftop garden with alot of colour ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi, any photos . jack

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

How much reinforcing have you done on the roof to take the weight of the soil, water, people and possible snow on the roof.

I would say you have to double at least the standard rafters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've helped with a roof garden for a friend before.

Your wildflower idea is a nice one, but a lot of packs sold as 'wildflower mixes' tend to be arable based... as in , they are the type of plants that flourish with regular ploughing of land, and turning over of soil. Not something to be undertaken lightly on a roof!

Weight is a huge consideration.

What we did, was use tall lightweight planters around the edge of the roof, to build a screen, from wind and for privacy. Bamboo went into those, with a few gaps for views. There was then an inner ring of lower planters within there, planted with colourful plants (herbaceous mixed with bedding), and some veg/herbs. We put a 'lid' on some of the planters, to form seating. A spot for a cushion here and there.

Put a cafe style table and chairs in there, done.

The planters were 50% full of polystyrene pellets, to reduce weight as well. And the planters were on feet, to allow drainage off the roof.

Advertisement