Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurling/Shinty International Series 2014

• 08-10-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭

See the panel for this years Hurling/Shinty International Series has been named,matches will once again be live on TG4,

First Test on October 18th in Inverness at 2pm

Second Test on October 25th in Newry at 5pm

Ireland Senior Hurling/Shinty International panel 2014

1. EOIN REILLY (Laois)
    2. MICKEY BURKE (Meath)
    3. PAUL DERMODY (Kildare)
    4. PAUL DIVILLY (Kildare)
    5. JOHN EGAN (Kerry) Senior Debut
    6. DAVID ENGLISH (Carlow)
    7. PATRICK HORGAN (Cork)
    8. CONOR LEHANE (Cork) Senior Debut
    9. PATRICK MAHER (Tipperary)
    10. CONOR MCCANN (Antrim) Senior Debut
    11. NEAL MCCAULEY (Antrim)
    12. JONNY MCCUSKER (Down) Senior Debut
    13. DAVID MCINERNEY (Clare) Senior Debut
    14. BRIAN MURPHY (Kerry) Senior Debut
    15. SHANE NOLAN (Kerry) Senior Debut
    16. DARRAGH O CONNELL (Kerry)
    17. EOIN PRICE (Westmeath)
    18. MATTHEW WHELAN (Laois) Senior Debut
    19. DAVID KETTLE (Louth) Senior Debut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Good to see a former classmate Mickey Burke in there. Hope his finger is ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's a pity that

1. They never seem to get the superstars for this series and

2. It's not marketed better. I've always found it to be far more entertaining than the International Rules rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

thelad95 wrote: »
    It's a pity that

2. It's not marketed better. I've always found it to be far more entertaining than the International Rules rubbish.

There's a limit on how many Liam McCarthy players they're entitled to use. A team of all stars or whatever would absolutely eviscerate the scots. The marketing issue is fair enough but without the stars they aren't going to attract a big audience.

The game itself can be entertaining but the problem is obvious to me: rather than a compromise rules like the football, this is two teams playing two different sorts against each other. The two different sticks have utterly different properties, so they aren't actually playing the same game. And that can't be overcome. It's aninteresting curiosity, bbut I don't see how it could ever be more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

thelad95 wrote: »
    It's a pity that

No such thing in hurling.

Agreed, I went to one before in Ennis, was free in and still only a tiny crowd there. Skill all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I didn't know they played both sports at the same time. That's mental. I thought there was some sort of compromise in the sense that we would play shinty with them hardly thinking that they would play hurling. I dunno, that's just gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I didn't know they played both sports at the same time. That's mental. I thought there was some sort of compromise in the sense that we would play shinty with them hardly thinking that they would play hurling. I dunno, that's just gas.

yeah but the rules are fairly similar, I think. Its just the stick is the main difference. Actually if someone could put a list of all the rules on this thread that would be appreciated.

Taken from Wiki

The rules of the composite sport are designed to allow for neither side to gain an advantage, eliminating or imposing certain restrictions. The goals are those used in hurling, with 3 points for a goal (in the net under the crossbar) and 1 point for a shot over the crossbar. A stationary ball taken straight from the ground and shot over the crossbar scores 2 points. For the 2012 International Series, a goal became worth 5 points in an effort to increase the number of goals. This was rule was abandoned for the 2013 series, in favour of the traditional model of 3 points for a goal.
    Players may not catch the ball unless they are the goalkeeper (or a defender on the line for a penalty) and this must be released within three steps. Players may not kick the ball, but can drag the ball with their foot.
    Although there is a statutory size for the ball to be used in the games, there is often a custom of using a sliotar in one half and a shinty ball in the other. Each half lasts 35 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think this game would benefit a lot from having point scoring removed. Either that or create a rule where the team with the most goals wins with points only being taken into account if both sides have the same amount of goals.

Shinty is the more skilfull game.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    Shinty is the more skilfull game.

I know you're just looking for a reaction, but that's obviously nonsense. Within that sort, their stick is a major advantage I've the hurl. Far far more skill required of the Irish players between rising, soloing, and ground hurling. They just belt it along the ground and get massive distance and height.

I know you're just looking for a reaction, but that's obviously nonsense. Within that sort, their stick is a major advantage I've the hurl. Far far more skill required of the Irish players between rising, soloing, and ground hurling. They just belt it along the ground and get massive distance and height.

Did you ever even hold a shinty stick ?:rolleyes:

It's a long time since I've seen a hurler being able to hit the ball on the ground.

Hope this helps

Did you ever even hold a shinty stick ?:rolleyes:

It's a long time since I've seen a hurler being able to hit the ball on the ground.

Hope this helps

I'll get back to you lad didn't want to sound like I'm looking for a row. Doesn't help that autocorrect made me sound like a drunk. For now, I think a hurl is far harder to control with, especially when the hand is removed from the game.

I'll get back to you lad didn't want to sound like I'm looking for a row. Doesn't help that autocorrect made me sound like a drunk. For now, I think a hurl is far harder to control with, especially when the hand is removed from the game.

My opinion is that the greatest skill in hurling is ground hurling and unfortunately it's a skill that is lost to the game. Hurlers are far better than shinty players, but I think shinty is more skilfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I remember seeing a show last year, possibly during the Sunday game, alluding to streamlining this series similar to the international rules. Both teams would operate the same set of rules (which were really just slightly adjusted from what they were anyway) and they would use the same stick, sort of an early proto-hurley from decades ago.

I see Shinty games are started with a throw up ball and not a throw in,they also thow the ball up in the air and bat in back into play when taking a sideline ball,

Also something I never seen the Scottish lads doing is running with the ball similar to a solo run in hurling its called keepy uppy in Shinty where the player runs with the ball bouncing up on down on the Shinty stick.

Anyone watching the game? Ireland very sluggish so far gave away a very soft goal,the Scots must have got some great scores from distance.

Highlight for Ireland so far was Conor Lehanes goal took it very well,broke away from his man on a solo run and gave the keeper no chance.

Half time score

Scotland 1-10

Ireland 1-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes. Ireland slow to start. Lehanes goal was typical of some of his championship goals of late. Sheer speed. There looks to be a decent breeze there. Also nice jersey this year.

Final score

Scotland 3-14

Ireland 2-8

Scotland fully deserved the win,took their chances well,score would be a bit closer if it wasnt for some great saves from the Scottish keeper,who it seems uses the same sized stick as the outfield players,no big Bas needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

My opinion is that the greatest skill in hurling is ground hurling and unfortunately it's a skill that is lost to the game. Hurlers are far better than shinty players, but I think shinty is more skilfull.

The following was posted on a different forum by a different user before, and I found it summed up everything I couldnt about how useless ground hurling is these days.

The only place for a quick ground pull is a short swipe away from/towards the goalmouth.

Aside from that its unpredictable and largely useless. If you have the ball in the hand you have many options, you can handpass, you can play a short pass or long ball in where you control the height, pace, direction etc. Plus you can turn and hit it off either side. Ground balls are the opposite, the only possible direction is forward and low along the ground, you also cant hit it off the other side unless you hop over the ball to swing off that side.

The range for a ground ball isnt very good, it wont go over a man so if it goes anywhere near an opposing player its dead.

If the ground pull is such a great thing all round the pitch, why is it so rarely used? You'd think of the dozens of top county and club teams in existence would have have latched onto this supposed solution to all hurling ills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

I'd like to see the two All Star hurling teams play against each other using the rule of no handling the ball. Would be a skillful game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Anyone know how the 3rd level colleges are going, player wise? Saw UCC had a good win in the hurling league during the week UCC 6-25 WIT 1-5 and the footballers won tonight v Carlow. Any interesting players at CIT/UCC this year?

The following was posted on a different forum by a different user before, and I found it summed up everything I couldnt about how useless ground hurling is these days.

That was probably written by an American or someone who never held a hurley. The reason we don't see ground anymore is they are not able for it, apart from a few. Callinan's ground stroke proved just how good it is, however today's game is characterised by scrums, pulling, bunching and dragging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

That was probably written by an American or someone who never held a hurley. The reason we don't see ground anymore is they are not able for it, apart from a few. Callinan's ground stroke proved just how good it is, however today's game is characterised by scrums, pulling, bunching and dragging.

Right, an american/non hurler who seems to have a very detailed knowledge of everything to do with possession and movement of the ball in hurling.

If ground hurling is supposedly the most Godly, skillful, game changing talent to exist, why is it never coached? Why is it never used?

Just for a shot at Liam, elite inter county hurlers are willing to lift weights for months, do gruelling fitness sessions and tackling sessions in the mud and dirt of january, train at least 3 times a week every week, mind their diets and sleep meticulously, hit thousands of balls over the course of the year, all from November till possibly the following September. Its enough effort to make most people wince.

But you're telling me that hitting the ball on the ground is just a step too far, they just arent willing to go to the effort of doing it, even though Liam MacCarthy supposedly awaits the next county to play a ground based game?

Right, an american/non hurler who seems to have a very detailed knowledge of everything to do with possession and movement of the ball in hurling.

If ground hurling is supposedly the most Godly, skillful, game changing talent to exist, why is it never coached? Why is it never used?

Just for a shot at Liam, elite inter county hurlers are willing to lift weights for months, do gruelling fitness sessions and tackling sessions in the mud and dirt of january, train at least 3 times a week every week, mind their diets and sleep meticulously, hit thousands of balls over the course of the year, all from November till possibly the following September. Its enough effort to make most people wince.

But you're telling me that hitting the ball on the ground is just a step too far, they just arent willing to go to the effort of doing it, even though Liam MacCarthy supposedly awaits the next county to play a ground based game?

Now you have it.

Almost anyone can lift weights, can run a hill. That's modern day hurling for you, more fitness, less skill.

Advertisement