Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate entry to medicine vs undergraduate

Options
  • 08-10-2014 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a qualified barrister and i'm interested in pursuing a career in legal medicine and forensic pathology.

To do this, I'd like to complete a degree in medicine. I have some questions.

My CAO points are 585. A lot of friends are suggesting I should study for the HPAT and apply as an undergraduate, as opposed to taking the graduate route.

For one thing, the HPAT is supposedly easier than GAMSAT.

For another thing, I've heard some bad experiences about the intensive nature of grad medicine, as against the expansive, broader nature of the undergraduate program. I'm also conscious of the fact that it's been many years since I studied biology and chemistry.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation, or have classmates/ colleagues who were in similar situations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Hey Conor, what sciences have you got in your LC?

and where would you like to go?

It's all a question of preference really. If you do very well in the hpat you can have the pick of the colleges as you have such great points. It would be an less time consuming way to get in I would say as you have the LC done. Just get practising for the HPAT now. However GAMSAT route is quicker once you get in, but the exam is gruelling but doable. I am currently in UCD as mature student in the undergraduate way as I wasn't eligible for GAMSAT route. But talking to other GAMSAT entrants they all love it. So it's a question of choice really.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Julie, just out of interest, how many students would UCD take on as mature entry each year?

I am the only one this year. I don't think they always take people on.
    It all depends. Ive only ever known of one being taken on.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

I think there are two places for mature med in UCD this year. Check out the mature students board here. UCD or UCC won't allow you apply for mature med if you qualify for Graduate entry i.e have a 2:1 degree. If you get a decent HPAT score you can do the undergrad route but it would be 5/6 years unless you had a chem/biochem degree. Fees approx 9K per year if you have a previous degree.

TCD accept matures, but you need 2 science subjects at LC and the HPAT. Its a 5 year course there and fees similar to UCD of around 9K per yr. You could go undergrad here too if you had 2 LC sciences.

RCSI take on a good number of matures, they have approx 15 places. Need the HPAT. You could apply undergrad route here too. It's a 5 or 6 yr course depending on how many LC science subjects you have. The fees here are the problem though, if you apply as an undergrad fees are 10K per year. If you get in as mature, fees are the same as for GEM, 16K, but you are studying for an extra 1 or 2 years.

I looked into the undergrad and mature route but its not possible for me. I got 500 in the LC so would need a top 99% HPAT score to get an undergrad place in UCD or RCSI, I only have one science subject at LC so TCD is out. Mature route not possible in UCD since I have a 2:1 degree. My only option would be RCSI, same cost as GEM but an extra 1 or 2 years of fees plus 10K per yr living expenses. Also,have to consider your age after doing the course!

So has to be GEM for me, now just to wait for the GAMSAT results :(

Best of luck Loopylulu!! when are they out?
    do you have another for next September in march in Ireland? Ill keep everything crossed for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

Thanks, due out mid-late November. Will re-sit in March in Dublin if the results are not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Why not cover all bases and apply via all 3 routes?
    Undergraduate - your LC and HPAT
    Mature - LC, HPAT and life experience on application form + interview
    Graduate - GAMSAT

I know of someone who did GAMSAT even though they didn't have a 2:1 as a refresher course for sciences. They figured if they got enough to get in they would survive the course. They got 62 I think, but was accepted as a mature student and nearing final med. It also shows commitment to studying and would stand to you in your application/interview.

Trinity accept matures who have 2:1s and used to keep a few places for people from the humanities and non-traditional/sciencey backgrounds (not sure if this is still the case). It is also only 5 years and fees were €8,456 for the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Abby19 wrote: »
    Trinity accept matures who have 2:1s and used to keep a few places for people from the humanities and non-traditional/sciencey backgrounds (not sure if this is still the case). It is also only 5 years and fees were €8,456 for the past few years.

There certainly still are a few from non-science backgrounds getting in.

Advertisement