Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I would appreciate some advice on Lucan

Options
  • 08-10-2014 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone.
    This is my first ever post on Boards and I am just after some opinions.

My girlfriend and I are looking at buying a house or apartment and she has mentioned Lucan. I have only ever briefly visited there once so have absolutely no idea what it is like. In fact I am from London and only know the area we currently live in (Coolmine/Castleknock).

Anyway, we would obviously want somewhere that is safe, and convenient for transport into city centre(we have a car but will be using public transport too).

Looking on Daft, we saw places in Esker Manor and Foxborough Walk, are these in OK areas or do we need to focus elsewhere?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

There's no facilities there. It's one huge housing estate on the dublin/Kildare border with thousands of poorly built houses. Traffic is a nightmare , and public transport is non existent.
    Clonsilla/Castleknock would be a much better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Traffic is no worse than anywhere else in the city in the mornings or evenings and the public transport is far from non existent. There are loads of buses that go to Lucan and they are very frequent. The 25a and b are an excellent service imo. As for the standard of the houses I can't comment and can't see how anybody else can unless they built them. I'm an electrician and have found that most houses/apartments that I've worked in anywhere in the city that were built in the boom I can say quality of workmanship wasn't high on the list of priorities for builders. Get them up asap and get them sold for extortionate prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Traffic is horrendous coming from town to Lucan in the evenings. Can easily take an hour or more. It's the worst traffic bottleneck in Dublin due to the traffic lights at Palmerston

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'm confused, why are you looking to buy a house without knowing what the area is like, experiencing it at different times of the day and night. Seeing what the community is like.
    If you were buying a car, you'd test drive it, see of it met you're requirments, why wouldn't you do the same with a house you're thinking of buying?
    Get out there and see if you like the area, of it's suitable, talk to the neighbours, not rely on some random strangers on the internets opinion.
    This is going to be one of the biggest purchases you'll ever make in life, thread carefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I used to live in Lucan and live in Blanchardstown now. Would never move back to Lucan and you couldn't pay me to live in either of those estates.

A friends put their house in Foxborough on the market the day they moved in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Binzer

Thanks for the input folks.

I was just seeking advice from those that may have lived there or know the area well before looking further and going to check out the area at various times myself. I would much prefer to stay in the Castleknock area but prices are pretty steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Lucan is a fine area, has its good and bad points. I moved there 4 years ago. Traffic can be bad as said and that's probably the worst part. Plenty of buses and trains to city centre though. Plenty of clubs and activities in the area, although Lucan is big so you may not be in walking distance of them if that's what you want. I haven't come across any anti social behaviour anyway. As for the build quality, that differs from estate to estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

I live in Lucan. Surprised at the negative comments here. I find it a fab place to live. We have every conceivable facility you could want ( what was that comment about no facilities??!!!!) Lots of shopping, parks, leisure centre, sports, pubs, restaurants etc. I could go on. The transport Links are excellent & very frequent. There's a bus corridor pretty much all the way to town. Traffic is the same as any surrounding area like Blanch etc. Of the estates you mentioned I would steer clear of Fox borough too, it's quite rundown. As are a lot of estates in that end, ie towards Balgaddy/ Liff Valley imo. Estates around Griffeen, Esker, Finnstown and the village are nice. Houses are selling fast here again & demand is high

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

Lucan is quite big and so has many areas, young and old, both good and bad. Traffic can be bad around supervalue and the village at peak times. However, nowhere in Dublin is immune to traffic. There are lovely shops (avoca on the way) pubs, cafés and restaurants aplenty in the village.

Foxborough and many newer estates of Lucan were once Balgaddy, Clondalkin but were changed to the Lucan address by a deceased ex-politician before the boom. Closer to the village has a lot of lovely mature estates and there are plenty of parkland (Catherine's, Willsbrook, The actual Liffey valley walk way) to enjoy. If you work in town consider any xpress bus from the n4 stops. A proposed direct train link via the Phoenix park tunnel to grand canal dock/Pearse st from Adamstown will be a good commuting option in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

There is a recent thread in relation to Lucan in the 'Region' section, which should be helpful to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Bit surprised at the negativity of the comments to be honest. I don't live there so can't comment on the commuter traffic or public transport but my mate lives there and I visit a fair bit and it seems to be a quiet enough settled area with a nice little village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

There's no facilities there. It's one huge housing estate on the dublin/Kildare border with thousands of poorly built houses. Traffic is a nightmare , and public transport is non existent.

this is all bull**** other than the part about the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I moved from Clonsilla/ Blanchardstown to Lucan about 4 years ago and have never once regretted it.
    I live in an older area, Finnstown, and have been really happy here. The traffic is brutal getting down to the dual carriage way and in the village in the mornings but other than that I have no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Dublin suburb in busy commuter traffic shocker

Advertisement