Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Reps on Board of Management

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

Icsics wrote: »
    I would suggest having a union meeting & then it becomes a staff issue rather than just one teacher against the principal. It's too easy for the principal to dismiss one teacher.

Thank you.

To 'dismiss' ! What would the teacher be dismissed for? What has the teacher done wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

I know the INTO have a document called Working Together available online which outlines procedures to follow when conflict like this arises amongst staff.
    The teacher's nominee can't bring items to the BOM, they are not a teachers rep, just a voice giving a teachers perspective on Board matters.The chairperson is the one who can put an item on the agenda, incidentally the school Principal is generally the secretary to the Board of Management. I would suggest following the steps in the Working Together document in the case you have described.
    Thanks.

Seems a pity that procedures apparently are not clear. (Another poster suggested writing to the secretary.)

The Context: Teacher thinks the principal is not, lets take as an example, implementing a school policy properly/fairly/fully etc and has noted down numerous instances of this. (This is just an example)

Teacher has had discussions with principal re this but is not getting anywhere. Relationship between teacher and principal has broken down and does not wish to discuss the issue with the principal any more. Instead, teacher feels the only way now is for this matter to be raised at BOM meeting. Teacher writes a letter on the issue and wants this read out verbatim (presumably by the Rep?) and discussed at the meeting with the hope of making changes. This of course would be critical of the principal.

What is the next port of call for this teacher?
    Can teacher say to Rep: You are the teachers' rep so 'I want you to bring this to the meeting and have it discussed'. (What is the role of the Rep at this point?) So would it be up to the Rep then to bring it to the attention of the principal and afterwards the board.
    Am I right or am I wrong?
    Thanks for your input.

Just to add, while it might seem unfair that this teacher can't have their grievance with the Principal automatically aired at a Board Meeting it works both ways. The Principal can't just discuss issues they may be having with teacher x, y or z. There are procedures to follow when grievances arise, these may eventually lead to the matter being discussed at BOM level or they may not, but they do ensure that fair process is followed for all involved.

I know the INTO have a document called Working Together available online which outlines procedures to follow when conflict like this arises amongst staff.
    The teacher's nominee can't bring items to the BOM, they are not a teachers rep, just a voice giving a teachers perspective on Board matters. The chairperson is the one who can put an item on the agenda, incidentally the school Principal is generally the secretary to the Board of Management. I would suggest following the steps in the Working Together document in the case you have described.

In my example, who do you think the teacher should give the letter to in order for it to be read and discussed at the board meeting?

The rep/nominee?
    The secretary?
    The chairperson?

Bearing in mind it is an important letter and one that would not sit well with the principal.

(I would not stress too much the breakdown in communication aspect of my post. It was just an example and actually has not happened. The point I am trying to get at is the correct procedure for a teacher to get items on the agenda of the BOM.)

Thank you.

The Chairperson.
    In my example, who do you think the teacher should give the letter to in order for it to be read and discussed at the board meeting?

The rep/nominee?
    The secretary?
    The chairperson?

Bearing in mind it is an important letter and one that would not sit well with the principal.

(I would not stress too much the breakdown in communication aspect of my post. It was just an example and actually has not happened. The point I am trying to get at is the correct procedure for a teacher to get items on the agenda of the BOM.)

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The letter goes to the Chairperson of the BOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I have had people give me a copy of a letter that they sent in to ensure I was prepared and to ensure that it is read properly. I never let on I have a copy but if something was left out I would throw out a question "did they mention x in the letter they mentioned it to me the other day in staff room"

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kalimera

Correspondence to the Board goes through the Secretary of the Board who is responsible for bringing correspondence to the Board.

seavill wrote: »
    I have had people give me a copy of a letter that they sent in to ensure I was prepared and to ensure that it is read properly. I never let on I have a copy but if something was left out I would throw out a question "did they mention x in the letter they mentioned it to me the other day in staff room"

I would have thought all board members would be given all relevant documents prior to meeting in order to be to be prepared, for example any policies that need ratification by board. You would not be expected to go through policies at a board meeting without having studied it beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I was talking about an issue from staff

With policies we are usually given them at a meeting and consider them before the next meeting. Any issues can be discussed at that. Not sure is that standard practice or not but I don't see any issue with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement