Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morrissey being treated for cancer :(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This was the very first thought I had.

On a more sober note, I hope he gets through the treatment successfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I still hate the veggie fooker but I hope he gets through this ordeal so I can keep hating his opinionated veggie head!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

He does a great GAA report, even with his big head.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

frag420 wrote: »
    I still hate the veggie fooker but I hope he gets through this ordeal so I can keep hating his opinionated veggie head!!

Ah now, he was the soother of many a teenagers angst as they stomped around miserably in the eighties :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Loved him in men behaving badly. I wish him a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Never liked him or his music. Get well soon lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

How Soon is Now will be devastated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Oh that's tough
    Irrespective of his views, always like to hear someone who's not afraid to air his opinion.
    Sorry he's unwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I heard he was sick and had to cancel concerts but didn't know it was that serious. It must be so hard to be told you've got cancer even if you are rich and famous. Wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Some great music and lyrics.

Wish him well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I really think he'll pull through.

(Song lyric reference aside, he seems like a tough cookie - I'd say he'll fight the sh-t out of this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Get well soon you miserable lump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Oh that's tough
    Irrespective of his views, always like to hear someone who's not afraid to air his opinion.
    Sorry he's unwell

You should read his book. Man has a lot of pent up bitterness. Which is exactly why I bought it. Was in the mood for a bit of bitching.

Collie D wrote: »
    You should read his book. Man has a lot of pent up bitterness. Which is exactly why I bought it. Was in the mood for a bit of bitching.

I take it you're buying Keano's book tomorrow so? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Very sad news.

I'm a big fan of his music and have seen him live quite a few times. I always find it unusual that so many people can't appreciate the wit and humour in his lyrics.

I'm very much "each to their own" when it comes to taste in music, so I wouldn't dream of slagging anyone's taste in music.

I've bought tickets to see Moz in December, but I expect with this news its likely to be cancelled.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

boobar wrote: »
    Very sad news.

I'm a big fan of his music and have seen him live quite a few times. I always find it unusual that so many people can't appreciate the wit and humour in his lyrics.

I'm very much "each to their own" when it comes to taste in music, so I wouldn't dream of slagging anyone's taste in music.

I've bought tickets to see Moz in December, but I expect with this news its likely to be cancelled.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

I don't think so, it sounds like he's known for quite some time. I imagine he thought about this before he decided to do gigs again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I first learnt about his illness from a witty article by waterford whispers using his illness to take the piss out of his lifestyle choices, classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

There is a light that never goes out.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can't say i feel much sympathy for the man, he's a complete cùnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I found his autobiography hilarious. He is very very witty not as miserable as he makes out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Can't say i feel much sympathy for the man, he's a complete cùnt.

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Sad to hear, hopefully he makes a full recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Damn. :(

He's an eejit but a supremely talented one. Get well soon, Morrissey, ya clown.

SPM1959 wrote: »
    Why do you say that?
    Is that you Steven Patrick?

Even if he is a complete c**t, a person saying they don't feel sorry for him when he's being treated for cancer is pretty classless.

Is that you Steven Patrick?

Even if he is a complete c**t, a person saying they don't feel sorry for him when he's being treated for cancer is pretty classless.

Good thing I didn't say that then.

Good thing I didn't say that then.
    Oops. Although much of a muchness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Great singer and great music.

Hope he's alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

You have to be pretty low to not have some sympathy for a person with cancer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Yesterday I was looking into the details of this (what has come out, anyway), and from the translated El Mundo article, there seems to be some points of askew translation. He said, according to El Mundo, he has had 4 scrapings of cancerous cells, which could mean pre-cancerous or indeed that he has cancer. I believe, the term scraping (should it have been translated correctly) relates to either skeletal cancer (which I believe would be incredibly severe and doesn't seem likely considering he has gotten the go ahead and insurance for the upcoming tour) or throat, which seems more likely due to his past dealings with Barrett's Oesophagus and constant reflux issues. The fact that he has insurance, I would guess mean if he does have cancer it is early days to some degree - I'd doubt it's stage 3, let's say. I hope it's not the case, been a fan of his since I was about 8 with none surpassing. Despite seeing him live 3 times already, I was very disappointed not to get to see him again this year in the rebranded o2, but it's so expensive. We all know he's one for dramatics; I hope this along with poor translation is cause for this alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

boobar wrote: »
    I always find it unusual that so many people can't appreciate the wit and humour in his lyrics.

+1. He's a poet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I was saddened by this news today.
    Anyone going through cancer treatment deserves more than to be called a 'c*nt' -
    There are lots of other people who deserve your vitriol one thousand times more than a singer who has brought hope to 2 generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Poor guy. Hope he gets better soon.

zef wrote: »
    Anyone going through cancer treatment deserves more than to be called a 'c*nt' -
    There are lots of other people who deserve your vitriol one thousand times more than a singer who has brought hope to 2 generations.

You're right, he's a supreme cúnt.
    That is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald's and Kentucky Fried shít every day

That's what Morrissey has to say on the Norway Massacre.

frag420 wrote: »

He is human and he needs to be loved...just like anybody else does :)

Get well soon Morrissey. Love the Smiths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

He only just had a gig the other day so hes obviously feeling ok.

It actually hasnt been confirmed yet either by him only that hes had work done on it so until he comes out and says it 100 percent moz will outlive us all :D

Either way if the Irish gig goes ahead it will be his last id imagine.

Have to laugh at some of the media outlets covering this like they give two ****s about him on a normal day of the week! Just goes to show people dont give a **** about you normally unless theres something wrong with u or you have done something and they can use you to promote themselves!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He's had a lot of health problems the past couple of years. Sorry to hear this. His response was typical Morrissey though
    "They have scraped cancerous tissues four times already, but whatever," he told the publication.

"If I die, then I die. And if I don't, then I don't."

He went on to say he feels he’s reached an age when he "should no longer be making music".

"Many composers of classical music died at age 34. And I'm still here, and nobody knows what to do with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

SPM is a genius, and I hate the way that word is used in modern times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Always been a huge admirer of Morrissey, especially in The Smiths. I remember I first heard The Smiths in 2002 and couldnt believe how someone could write with such honesty so well. His lyrics touched a lot of ppl, always a sense of someone was in the trenches with you when listening to his music. He gave great voice to the ordinary experience of life, never compromised himself or get caught up in any of the pitfalls of fame.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    He's had a lot of health problems the past couple of years. Sorry to hear this. His response was typical Morrissey though

That's why I love him!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

To look at photos or videos of him in late 2012 for example and compare them to recent ones, the difference is absolutely staggering. Nobody ages that much over less than eighteen months, and I suspect he has been sick for far longer than he's let on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm more saddened by this than I would have thought possible. He seems a petty and trucelent man in recent times but is a genuine genius and a shining example of what pop stars once were and should always be.

How Soon is Now will be devastated.

This made me laugh by the way! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

And when you want to live
    How do you start?
    Where do you go?
    Who do you need to know?

-Bard of the outcast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I've seen him in concert twice in Galway and twice in Dublin. He is the master of the stage and I wish him good health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

"They have scraped cancerous tissues four times already, but whatever," he told the publication.

"If I die, then I die. And if I don't, then I don't."
    ........ meet me at the cemetery gates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Perhaps if he'd eaten a few bacon sarnies he'd have been less of a miserable bast**d. The vegan diet didn't do much good for him anyways.

zef wrote: »

Considering many of the statements the man has come out with, cnut is a pretty apt description of him. I doubt he'd have much sympathy for anyone going through cancer treatment if they ate meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Considering many of the statements the man has come out with, cnut is a pretty apt description of him. I doubt he'd have much sympathy for anyone going through cancer treatment if they ate meat.

He tried to rip off the drummer and bass player of the Smiths for royalties too, the judge when deciding against him in court called him "devious, truculent and unreliable"

He tried to rip off the drummer and bass player of the Smiths for royalties too, the judge when deciding against him in court called him "devious, truculent and unreliable"

He just described me in the bedroom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Never had any time whatsoever for either him or his music, but i wish him well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement