Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail Runners

Options
  • 08-10-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I've been running mainly on trails through forests (stone chipping paths & grass) and running with adidas glide or asics gel runners. I've been thinking that I should perhaps be running with trail runners instead as I never run on roads.

I have been looking at Adidas Kanadia Trail 6 or Duramo Cross Trail, has anyone ran in these? Any use?

I'd be running 10k max.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Brooks pure grit..perfect for those type of trails you mention..comfy on small road sections too.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Brooks pure grit..perfect for those type of trails you mention..comfy on small road sections too.

Where would you find a pair of these and how much are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Adidas Kanadia are perfect for what you are doing. I had a pair before, they are really comfy and the grip is good. They are cheap enough as well. You can shop around online and find older models of the same shoe, think I had the TR3, and get a really good deal.

Adidas Kanadia are perfect for what you are doing. I had a pair before, they are really comfy and the grip is good. They are cheap enough as well. You can shop around online and find older models of the same shoe, think I had the TR3, and get a really good deal.

Thanks, might order a pair so.

Have the Adidas Kanadia - no complaints at all. Not as heralded as the Salomons or Inov8s but much cheaper and for 10km runs should be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Kanadia TR3 were my first trail shoe and I had them for a few years..did some light trail running in them - forest paths, river trails etc they were a nice shoe.
    then got a pair of TR5 last year and don't like them at all - they are cheap though - I got a pair of puma faas 300TR instead and really like them - very light and soft and I use them over the TR5s now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Also using the Kanadias at the moment, Sports Direct often have them at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

SomeFool wrote: »
    Also using the Kanadias at the moment, Sports Direct often have them at a good price.

Nike have also got a few pairs of trail runners, haven't got a pair but they got some good reviews,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JuJu Jay

hi there..
    as a big trail shoe lover I've tested many trail running shoes out there..
    for what your doing for now the Adidas Kanadia are not bad. but when you get so much more fitter and want more trails and open mountains they not the best!.. many people in my group runs says the same!

Great Outdoors in Dublin have a great range of trail shoes but I only really wear the Salomon brands,,,
    there always the best for what I do..
    hope you find the right shoes for you ..
    peace

JuJu Jay wrote: »
    hi there..
    as a big trail shoe lover I've tested many trail running shoes out there..
    for what your doing for now the Adidas Kanadia are not bad. but when you get so much more fitter and want more trails and open mountains they not the best!.. many people in my group runs says the same!

Great Outdoors in Dublin have a great range of trail shoes but I only really wear the Salomon brands,,,
    there always the best for what I do..
    hope you find the right shoes for you ..
    peace

I'd say the Kanadia are perfect for my needs. I really only run at the weekend to compliment my other activities (astro 5-a-side twice a week and gym 3 times a week) and don't see myself doing more than 10k on a Saturday and/or Sunday. So while the Salomon's would be best, they may be overkill for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind me interrupting? I've signed up for hell and back and they say to wear well broken in trail runners. I'll be training mostly in a quarry and on trails (although not so grassy and muddy as the event looks, more stoney). Will be heading down to Kildare Village at the weekend so I was thinking of heading into the Nike shop and having a look there.

Is there anything I should look for that would give me an indication that a shoe is a trail runner? Totally new to this, I normally go for a somewhat cushioned shoe to support over-pronation. From what I can gather, shoe flexibility is important for trail running, so should I go for a neutral shoe and play around with insoles?

The other option I was thinking off, but might be slightly mad, is to go for a boy's shoe? I'm a size 5 and not all that big, just over 8 stone, but is it madness to even consider?

Or asics! Didn't realise they were there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Deenie123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind me interrupting? I've signed up for hell and back and they say to wear well broken in trail runners. I'll be training mostly in a quarry and on trails (although not so grassy and muddy as the event looks, more stoney). Will be heading down to Kildare Village at the weekend so I was thinking of heading into the Nike shop and having a look there.

Is there anything I should look for that would give me an indication that a shoe is a trail runner? Totally new to this, I normally go for a somewhat cushioned shoe to support over-pronation. From what I can gather, shoe flexibility is important for trail running, so should I go for a neutral shoe and play around with insoles?

The other option I was thinking off, but might be slightly mad, is to go for a boy's shoe? I'm a size 5 and not all that big, just over 8 stone, but is it madness to even consider?

You want the oldest worst pair of runners you own or buy a cheap pair in Aldi, your runners be destroyed doing H&B, no point wasting your money on a good pair that you'll only get one use out of,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi Guys,

I got Asics Gel Fuji Trainers in Kildare Village and they would be perfect for your training but I wouldn't waste them on H&B, they'll only be fit for the bin afterwards.

Thanks for the advice. Don't really want to pick up an injury while training so am keen to get appropriate training shoes. Will have a look at the gel fuji thanks. And if they're still decent by february I'll get a real cheap pair as suggested.

Thanks for the advice, really looking forward to the event. It looks like a lot of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Thanks for the advice. Don't really want to pick up an injury while training so am keen to get appropriate training shoes. Will have a look at the gel fuji thanks. And if they're still decent by february I'll get a real cheap pair as suggested.

Thanks for the advice, really looking forward to the event. It looks like a lot of fun :)

I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't have decent training shoes, by all means by the best you can afford and look after your feet and legs.

All I meant was don't ruin them at H&B, it's only one race and wearing a crappy old pair of trainers for an hour won't do you too much harm. However, wearing crappy old trainers 4/5 times a week might.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Your average road/ general purpose shoes will likely end up permanently stained by H&B stlye conditions, but proper trail shoes will be designed to withstand anything H&B can throw at them multiples of times. The likes of Salomon's Fellcross or Speedcross would be ideal in muddy conditions, and will wash off well afterwards.

Advertisement