Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any work for an Electrician yet?

Options
  • 08-10-2014 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,
    I am hoping to hear from a few people in the Construction Industry at the moment. Basically I qualified as an electrician in 2002 and worked with a couple of big companies. I was also self-employed until 2008/9 until everything dried up.
    Since then I have been working for Sky but I am very keen to return to my original trade. We have all read recently about the slow revival of the housing market and the potential lack of tradesmen in Ireland ( due to lack of new entrants and emigration.

I posted this in the Jobs forum, but didn't get much of a response.

I would really like to hear of any tradesmen who are back working in the construction industry or where they applied etc.
    I was going to post in the Electrical forum but will try it here first!
    Any info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

From what I see the industry has changes significently. The bigger contractors no longer employ electricians and apprentices, they still have their foreman, managers, QS's, planners, doc controllers, CAD etc and subcontract all from surervisors down to smaller contractors. Have a few mates working for some of these smaller contractors and the current rate im hearing is between 14e - 16e an hour and flat overtime rate.

Know of a few guy that emigrated through the recession, progressed to supervisor/foreman in the Uk and was taken on by one of the big companies at a good rate.

There are a few exceptions where the labour is directly employed, this is at the clients request.

From what is see there is alot of smaller work kicking off, in my estate alone I see three house extensions.

Advertisement