Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda recruitment/ Irish exam

• 08-10-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, just wondering if anyone is In the same boat as me. I have an honours degree but no leaving cert. I went for the gardai and came high up In the interview. I was awaiting an irish exam but was advised paper wasn't ready in time for first recruitment last month so have to wait for next phase. I haven't had any word on irish exam, is anyone else have the same problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jones10

Hi, yea I'm in the same boat, I was just outside the first intake but hopefully I'll have the irish done and be in the second one! I rang public jobs last week but didn't really get any information on what the exam would entail, when it will be or of what standard it will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BigJC

jones10 wrote: »
    Hi, yea I'm in the same boat, I was just outside the first intake but hopefully I'll have the irish done and be in the second one! I rang public jobs last week but didn't really get any information on what the exam would entail, when it will be or of what standard it will be!

Yeah it's been terribly handled, they knew that this paper wld be needed since January and they never bothered about it. I've been in contact with them continuously for the last 3 months and I've been getting nowhere.. They would need to have the paper ready soon. It'll all depend on the budget now to see if there is gonna be another batch sent in

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thisisit1991

Hey I'm in the same boat myself just wondering what ye are studying or what level of irish ye have. What kind of test ye hoping it will be.

Hey I'm in the same boat myself just wondering what ye are studying or what level of irish ye have. What kind of test ye hoping it will be.

I havin't really done much yet, just trying to get information from public jobs on what the test will consist off. Have ye started doing much?
    I'm hoping it will be a very basic level of irish but the hardest I can see it being is of ordinary level leaving cert standard. But as public jobs are giving so little away it really is hard to say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

It's amazing the amount of people who have not got the 'basic standard' of education. Me included btw.. Would you not consider doing your irish leaving cert again? It's seems it's a night course over a few weeks

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    It's amazing the amount of people who have not got the 'basic standard' of education. Me included btw.. Would you not consider doing your irish leaving cert again? It's seems it's a night course over a few weeks

I thought of doing that but where can you do it and how much... I work different hours each week it can b very hard to know what time il b finished at. I got a few grinds but it's very basic irish don't no where to go from here

I thought of doing that but where can you do it and how much... I work different hours each week it can b very hard to know what time il b finished at. I got a few grinds but it's very basic irish don't no where to go from here

crumlin college does night classes for 25 weeks.. tuesday and thursday nights.. 200 euro a subject i think... 25 weeks isnt bad though

That's not to bad when ur living n dublin but I'm n the other side of the county

• Registered Users Posts: 6 johnnyg2011

I have a leaving cert but it's the applied leaving which I was told was equal to ordinary level but they want me to sit the Irish. Am I the only one who is worried about doing it? I know you need to score 50% but other than that no idea

How do you know you need to score 50% all I know is if you fail it your out no second chance

• Advertisement

I heard it from a reliable source, my ex knows someone one on the panel and according to them it's 50% in both written and oral

I wonder what sort of questions will b asked and how long it will go on for? I was hoping for just oral

I wonder what sort of questions will b asked and how long it will go on for? I was hoping for just oral

I was hoping that they counted my leaving cert and the government stiff who was in schools begging people to try this new leaving cert was a Lying sack of crap... I was told in 2000 that i will be treated as if I done an ordinary leaving for any jobs In the public sectors

I was hoping that they counted my leaving cert and the government stiff who was in schools begging people to try this new leaving cert was a Lying sack of crap... I was told in 2000 that i will be treated as if I done an ordinary leaving for any jobs In the public sectors

so was I.. I also have fetac level 5 and 6 but still need the feckin languages :mad::mad::mad:

carzony wrote: »
    so was I.. I also have fetac level 5 and 6 but still need the feckin languages :mad::mad::mad:

I've a fair few qualifications my self, level 5 in communications, National Diploma in media, completed apprenticeship and a few other minor bits and pieces. Don't get why you need a 2nd language to be honest

I've a fair few qualifications my self, level 5 in communications, National Diploma in media, completed apprenticeship and a few other minor bits and pieces. Don't get why you need a 2nd language to be honest

typical ireland.. you could have a masters degree or have all the experience in the world but you'd still need the 2 languages :pac::pac:

Well folks,

Ive a fetac level 8. i was told from the start that it was an oral irish only, it was only in july that i was told it would also consist of a written which threw me completely. i havent done irish in 17yrs so i hadnt word of it, just been studying it for last while and trying to read and write it. its awful situation that they cant give us any info on it..

With the next two intakes due to be in December/January I tried emailing public jobs to see if we'd have these tests done in time to give us a chance of being in one of the next two intakes but the only reply I've got is that a date has not been set yet but that we will be given two weeks notice and documentation will be provided then on what is to be expected.

Has anyone else been in contact with them lately or heard anything else?
    I might give them a call later to try prise more info out of them

Fair play to ya jones10. We deserve to have a shout at this intake. This irish paper must be ready at this stage. I've tried calling templemore 5 times today and each time it's called out! Impressive. I'm trying to get through to the irish dept in the college to see if I can get any info. If anyone hears anything including myself we must stick it up here for us all to view!

I heard it from a reliable source, my ex knows someone one on the panel and according to them it's 50% in both written and oral

Hi johnnyg2011,
    Did you get any other information on the exam/oral?
    Or even when they intend to have the exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭whoahya

Hi guys,

Im in the same boat myself, and today I got an email being asked to do the Irish assessment on the 6th of next month, so Im happy out.
    Did anyone else get one?

Ya I got the email as well the information is not great in it tho though there would b a bit more about what to expect

Yeah, no information really about what to prepare for, but Im still glad just to be given the date!
    To be honest, Im not too worried about the exam itself

Ya same as are you getting grinds or doing anything up until now to get ready

Im not really going to do anything. For the first time in my life, being from a Gaeltacht is proving to be useful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mark227

Does anyone think it will be like the old Irish exam for the civil service ?

If it is do u no where u would get a copy

well I was in contact with the department of arts heritage and the gaeltacht, they are supposedly the ones who put the proficiency exams together, not sure if its the same for the Garda one though, the girl I was speaking to wasn't sure, but said she would get back to me tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

Hopfully man she dose it's hard to know what to study with the info we have

• Advertisement

It really is, I'd imagine it should be very basic though.

There is good practice tests on transparent.com or teg.ie

Advertisement