Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment/ Irish exam

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Markysull89

Dublin112 wrote: »
    Irish is my 2nd language Weird how public jobs are doing the exam And HRM haven't said anything about it to me
    I wondered that too...Im currently going through the stages with hrm and they never mentioned anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Irish is my 2nd language Weird how public jobs are doing the exam And HRM haven't said anything about it to me

Ah that's annoying how slow public jobs are... they do all the qualifications checks you see and aren't supposed to send your file to HRM until they are done...

Best of luck with the test and check with your local library as some do evening meet ups in Irish and that may help you with your oral!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dublin112

I wondered that too...Im currently going through the stages with hrm and they never mentioned anything...

️️Same Iv passed medical,PCT and met with my superintendent this morning and he just said they would be in touch nothing about my irish even though he went through my application and leaving cert results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is it just the gardai requires you take an Irish exam or do other State positions also demand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kerrygirl90

Hi All,

I don't know if many of you are still on this thread but I am just wondering if sitting an Irish exam is still part of the recruitment process for the Garda Trainee program 2013. I am through to Stage 3, but I wasn't aware that having oral and written Irish was still a requirement. Can anyone please answer this question, and also what level of Irish is expected.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BettyElms

Hi All,

I don't know if many of you are still on this thread but I am just wondering if sitting an Irish exam is still part of the recruitment process for the Garda Trainee program 2013. I am through to Stage 3, but I wasn't aware that having oral and written Irish was still a requirement. Can anyone please answer this question, and also what level of Irish is expected.

Thanks

Hi kerrygirl

Irish isn't necessarily a requirement. You just need two languages at or above D3 in ordinary level at leaving cert

The reason people are having to do this irish exam is because they don't meet this requirement (eg they did irish at foundation level and/or don't have French, German or another language at D3 or above)

BettyElms wrote: »
    Hi kerrygirl

Irish isn't necessarily a requirement. You just need two languages at or above D3 in ordinary level at leaving cert

The reason people are having to do this irish exam is because they don't meet this requirement (eg they did irish at foundation level and/or don't have French, German or another language at D3 or above)

Hi Betty,

Thanks for your reply. Ok great I started to panic there I thought I would have to sit part of stage 3 in Irish. So who do I contact to get my Leaving Certificate results as I cannot remember what my result was but I know I got above a D3. Is it my responsibility to bring them my results or do they find it themselves. Thanks for your help.

Hi Betty,

Thanks for your reply. Ok great I started to panic there I thought I would have to sit part of stage 3 in Irish. So who do I contact to get my Leaving Certificate results as I cannot remember what my result was but I know I got above a D3. Is it my responsibility to bring them my results or do they find it themselves. Thanks for your help.

Panic averted so! But you have to do the paper chasing yourself kerrygirl, they don't find it themselves! You can order a copy of your results online from the state examinations commission. Far as I know it's free if you sat the leaving between 2006-2011 for some reason and it cost 14.50 otherwise

Not sure how to post a link to the website but a quick Google of "ordering leaving cert transcripts" will get you there.

BettyElms wrote: »
    Panic averted so! But you have to do the paper chasing yourself kerrygirl, they don't find it themselves! You can order a copy of your results online from the state examinations commission. Far as I know it's free if you sat the leaving between 2006-2011 for some reason and it cost 14.50 otherwise

Not sure how to post a link to the website but a quick Google of "ordering leaving cert transcripts" will get you there.

Fantastic thanks a million Betty. Let's hope my memory isn't deceiving me now and I did score a D3 or above. What stage are you on now? I live in Australia so I will have to fly home for stage 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So speaking with someone today, and if you pass the interview you have to sit this test as they teach Irish down in Temple-more, they won't accept 'late' entry’s on the requirements. I don't think the guy understood what I meant, I don't see the harm in having the French come the time of the interview and the pace this is moving at it wouldn't surprise me if its this time next year for the guys doing stage 3 now.

I can't imagine I will get passed the Irish exam, so going to go ahead and get my French was its the only one I can sit between college part time also. I'll apply again in the next campaign if I am still interested.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    So speaking with someone today, and if you pass the interview you have to sit this test as they teach Irish down in Temple-more, they won't accept 'late' entry’s on the requirements. I don't think the guy understood what I meant, I don't see the harm in having the French come the time of the interview and the pace this is moving at it wouldn't surprise me if its this time next year for the guys doing stage 3 now.

I can't imagine I will get passed the Irish exam, so going to go ahead and get my French was its the only one I can sit between college part time also. I'll apply again in the next campaign if I am still interested.

If you got above a D3 in the leaving cert you shouldn't have to sit any Irish exam?

️️Same Iv passed medical,PCT and met with my superintendent this morning and he just said they would be in touch nothing about my irish even though he went through my application and leaving cert results

How's the study going?? Are you feeling confident? I'm seriously stressed over it especially with only a few weeks to go!!

If you got above a D3 in the leaving cert you shouldn't have to sit any Irish exam?

Done foundation level. The fact we get no prep material is a bit of a joke. If its up to LC level then surely you should be able to see the past papers like the LC. Anywhere in Dublin doing part time LC Irish on a Monday Friday or Saturday. I have French available on Saturday.

I was just thinking there reading another thread. Could we defer till we get LC ?

Started French course today.

TallGlass wrote: »
    I was just thinking there reading another thread. Could we defer till we get LC ?

Started French course today.

Hi TallGlass,

Unfortunately you cannot defer until you've been offered a place in Templemore and you won't be offered a place if you don't meet the language eligibility requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Could I make a suggestion? If a bunch of you from around the country got together and approached one of the big Irish courses - say Oideas Gael (http://oideasgael.ie/en/) - and asked them to run a Skype-based intensive night course for the Leaving Cert in Irish, you could do it without worrying about where you are. You could certainly find native speakers who'd do half-hour or hour-long conversation sessions in Irish with you one-to-one by Skype as an additional fluency aid. Then if you all sit the Leaving together, and perhaps also provide essays talking about why you want to be gardaí - giving good and cogent and sensible reasons - you would surely find a different attitude.

I wouldn't necessarily take the opinion of the operative on the end of the phone line as being the policy of the Department (but this is just my personal opinion).

How's the study going?? Are you feeling confident? I'm seriously stressed over it especially with only a few weeks to go!!

Nightmare. Have my exam tommorow. Have hardly done any study cod I have been so busy in work with over time. Not confident at all. And got a call today to meet with my superintendent tmro aswell even doh I met with him before Strange one

Nightmare. Have my exam tommorow. Have hardly done any study cod I have been so busy in work with over time. Not confident at all. And got a call today to meet with my superintendent tmro aswell even doh I met with him before Strange one[/quote

You'll be fine!!!! Once you have some grasp of it hopefully you'll be good!! That's a strange one alright.maybe he forget he met you lol

You should learn off a few irish essays I got them on the Internet and hope to god one of them come up!!! I've my irish next week and I'm dreading it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robbiewhelo

I have my irish tomorrow too. Im in the same boat as you DUBLIN112. From what have been told from people who I know that are already passed this test. It shouldnt be to hard. As they are not getting the number through to templemore that they want. out of 150 of the last bunch only 93 graduated. I have gone through the medical but couldnt make fitness test yet. but I heard this is the tougher part of the stages I know one lad that failed on 2 push ups and has to go back in january to do it again. Im slowly losing interest in joining with the way the force is going. The way they are getting treated atm.. And money isnt getting better while most industries wages are going up.

• Advertisement

I have my irish tomorrow too. Im in the same boat as you DUBLIN112. From what have been told from people who I know that are already passed this test. It shouldnt be to hard. As they are not getting the number through to templemore that they want. out of 150 of the last bunch only 93 graduated. I have gone through the medical but couldnt make fitness test yet. but I heard this is the tougher part of the stages I know one lad that failed on 2 push ups and has to go back in january to do it again. Im slowly losing interest in joining with the way the force is going. The way they are getting treated atm.. And money isnt getting better while most industries wages are going up.

️️Ye im the exact same passed medical and fitness and am fed up at this stage with how it's being handled I just wanna get the exam finished with at this stage I don't care if I pass or fail now would rather have done the exam before taking days off work for interviews and Medicaid etc .. Best of luck tommorow btw

️️Ye im the exact same passed medical and fitness and am fed up at this stage with how it's being handled I just wanna get the exam finished with at this stage I don't care if I pass or fail now would rather have done the exam before taking days off work for interviews and Medicaid etc .. Best of luck tommorow btw

Yea I know like why leave this till the end after going through everything wasting our time and there's. Could of done this before interviews and going to medical. Wasting their money only to say aw you failed the exam it's over now, see ya. Best if luck to you to. Hopefully it won't be to bad .

Yea I know like why leave this till the end after going through everything wasting our time and there's. Could of done this before interviews and going to medical. Wasting their money only to say aw you failed the exam it's over now, see ya. Best if luck to you to. Hopefully it won't be to bad .

I know its a waste of time, but look at the silver lining, I know myself I will more than likely fail the test(provide I get past stage 3 !), but I took up French so hopefully I will gain some experience from the stages so next time around you can/know its achievable for you.

Got results back today and failed by 6 marks on the oral and passed the written exam but failed whole exam. Load of bollox what a waste of a year and money
    Would love to write a strong worded email seems having two languages is more important than being fit and healthy and being able to run ridiculous

Got results back today and failed by 6 marks on the oral and passed the written exam but failed whole exam. Load of bollox what a waste of a year and money
    Would love to write a strong worded email seems having two languages is more important than being fit and healthy and being able to run ridiculous

Aw **** man sorry to see this.. I passed both. Which I was very surprised I did.. don't give up on it man. Join a night course get another language that way. As another way around things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭NickMondo

I'm in and odd position. I applied for the guarda in 2013 and then got an email a few weeks back saying i was accepted in Stage 2. I almost wondered if it was even legit. So I did stage 2 and passed but not in the top 500. Now going to do Stage 3 next week and didn't think at all about the Language Issue. I can speak German but don't have a piece of paper that says so and Irish was the only exam I failed in the LC back in '05.

So......what do I do? I've been upping my game and paid the kilroy course fee and studying a lot. But now after this.........will I get a change to sit a test? and how much notice could I get if I did well in Stage 3? i'm sure I could pass a German test if it was offered. My grasp of the language isn't brilliant but definitely passable.

• Advertisement

Nickmondo I'd just keep going until they say anything to you about the languages.. I'm sure someone will spot something somewere down the line of the recruitment process.. they could end up doing an exam in German for other who put it as their second choice language..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mason123

Aw **** man sorry to see this.. I passed both. Which I was very surprised I did.. don't give up on it man. Join a night course get another language that way. As another way around things.

Well... can I ask what the writen Irish test consisted of??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bingbongboo

I have Stage 4 interview early December. I know that I will have to do Irish exam if I get through. Any where I can get material like previous exam papers etc. or even what the Irish exam consists of??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Glantinegaels

Like bingbongboo looking like I will have to do the Irish exam aswel be great if anyone could give us some insight into it. Please post or pm me if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Eddyrio5

Anyone that has sat the Irish exam in the past be able to PM me with further information please. Would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ALTHEPAL

Hi all , can anyone that has already sat the Irish exam PM me with info as I'm trying to figure out what to expect. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Np1234

Hi All, if anyone has any information on the Irish exam could they PM me - have exam in three weeks and really worried about it. Would appreciate any info. Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Keith456

Np1234 wrote: »
    Hi All, if anyone has any information on the Irish exam could they PM me - have exam in three weeks and really worried about it. Would appreciate any info. Thanks a mil.

It's a 15 min oral and an hour written which includes an essay comprehension and a translation piece. After that I've no idea. How tough it's going to be I've no idea. No information anywhere on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Hello all,

Anybody have any information regarding the Irish Assessment as I'll have to sit it. A bit worried about it as there seems to be no syllabus or any topic areas you can focus in on specifically. No practice answers etc.

I have been following the Irish assessment related threads but a lot of people are failing it because it's to broad. What are you suppose to study if you don't know what you are suppose to be studying.

Please help.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

PM me if you like.

Appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cc thomas

Just wondering if anyone still on this thread has any info on the Irish assessment specifically what I can expect from it sitting it in three weeks and from reading previous posts even flat out studying isn't going to be enough so any help be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darragh12345

I have the Irish exam in a few weeks and I am looking for advice on what type of essays came up and what questions came up in the oral? would anyone have advice?

Regards,

Darragh

Advertisement