Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda recruitment/ Irish exam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dublin112

Got the 8th of October as my date for my irish exam. Less than a month to study. Very fair .... Bit confused with it as I have already done my physical , medical and also met with my local seargent and superintendent

Got the 8th of October as my date for my irish exam. Less than a month to study. Very fair .... Bit confused with it as I have already done my physical , medical and also met with my local seargent and superintendent

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Markysull89

Dublin112 wrote: »
    I didn't hear anything yet....did it say how long the test would be and what it consisted of??

I didn't hear anything yet....did it say how long the test would be and what it consisted of??

Consists of an oral for 15 minutes with 2 examiners. It will consist of being able to hold a conversation in irish

Written exam (1 hour)
    Essay (150-200 words)
    Comprehensive
    Translating words from English to irish

That's all the info they give with a month to study when I haven't spoke irish in years seems ridicoulas

Mother of god!!! A written exam of an hour! I thought the whole thing would last an hour. I mean what could the written exam consist of??? The comprehension should be easy enough but as for the written exam I'm a bit lost...

Sorry phrased it badly the written exam consists of the essay, comprehensive and the translating of words and it lasts and hour. Doesn't even say what the essay will be on so it will be a struggle to prepare for it

• Advertisement

Sorry phrased it badly the written exam consists of the essay, comprehensive and the translating of words and it lasts and hour. Doesn't even say what the essay will be on so it will be a struggle to prepare for it

Ahahahaha it was my fault I didn't read it properly! I'm preparing for the worst..I've been getting a few grinds and I have a few essays prepared hopefully that should help..basic essays like a day out shopping,a night out, going to a match and and incident with a guard.Im trying to learn them off hopefully what ever comes up I'll be able to direct it towards them few.
    The comprehension should be easy enough basically find a few words from the question in the paragraph that's what I'm going with anyway..as for the translation well it's pure luck..hopefully it will be basic enough. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Do you mind me asking is Irish your second language? Or have you another language but they still want your Irish to be a certain standard? Just asking for my brother as he has foundation Irish but he has pass level French on his leaving....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Maria79

Can I ask a question? I have my leaving cert and have a pass in Irish on it, why are people doing exams?? Or am I missing something??

Do you mind me asking is Irish your second language? Or have you another language but they still want your Irish to be a certain standard? Just asking for my brother as he has foundation Irish but he has pass level French on his leaving....

Irish is my 2nd language Weird how public jobs are doing the exam And HRM haven't said anything about it to me

Maria79 wrote: »
    Can I ask a question? I have my leaving cert and have a pass in Irish on it, why are people doing exams?? Or am I missing something??

I done foundation level irish in my leaving wich is why I have to do an exam nightmare

• Advertisement

Irish is my 2nd language Weird how public jobs are doing the exam And HRM haven't said anything about it to me
    I wondered that too...Im currently going through the stages with hrm and they never mentioned anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Ah that's annoying how slow public jobs are... they do all the qualifications checks you see and aren't supposed to send your file to HRM until they are done...

Best of luck with the test and check with your local library as some do evening meet ups in Irish and that may help you with your oral!

I wondered that too...Im currently going through the stages with hrm and they never mentioned anything...

️️Same Iv passed medical,PCT and met with my superintendent this morning and he just said they would be in touch nothing about my irish even though he went through my application and leaving cert results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is it just the gardai requires you take an Irish exam or do other State positions also demand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kerrygirl90

Hi All,

I don't know if many of you are still on this thread but I am just wondering if sitting an Irish exam is still part of the recruitment process for the Garda Trainee program 2013. I am through to Stage 3, but I wasn't aware that having oral and written Irish was still a requirement. Can anyone please answer this question, and also what level of Irish is expected.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BettyElms

Hi All,

I don't know if many of you are still on this thread but I am just wondering if sitting an Irish exam is still part of the recruitment process for the Garda Trainee program 2013. I am through to Stage 3, but I wasn't aware that having oral and written Irish was still a requirement. Can anyone please answer this question, and also what level of Irish is expected.

Thanks

Hi kerrygirl

Irish isn't necessarily a requirement. You just need two languages at or above D3 in ordinary level at leaving cert

The reason people are having to do this irish exam is because they don't meet this requirement (eg they did irish at foundation level and/or don't have French, German or another language at D3 or above)

BettyElms wrote: »
    Hi kerrygirl

Irish isn't necessarily a requirement. You just need two languages at or above D3 in ordinary level at leaving cert

The reason people are having to do this irish exam is because they don't meet this requirement (eg they did irish at foundation level and/or don't have French, German or another language at D3 or above)

Hi Betty,

Thanks for your reply. Ok great I started to panic there I thought I would have to sit part of stage 3 in Irish. So who do I contact to get my Leaving Certificate results as I cannot remember what my result was but I know I got above a D3. Is it my responsibility to bring them my results or do they find it themselves. Thanks for your help.

Hi Betty,

Thanks for your reply. Ok great I started to panic there I thought I would have to sit part of stage 3 in Irish. So who do I contact to get my Leaving Certificate results as I cannot remember what my result was but I know I got above a D3. Is it my responsibility to bring them my results or do they find it themselves. Thanks for your help.

Panic averted so! But you have to do the paper chasing yourself kerrygirl, they don't find it themselves! You can order a copy of your results online from the state examinations commission. Far as I know it's free if you sat the leaving between 2006-2011 for some reason and it cost 14.50 otherwise

Not sure how to post a link to the website but a quick Google of "ordering leaving cert transcripts" will get you there.

BettyElms wrote: »
    Panic averted so! But you have to do the paper chasing yourself kerrygirl, they don't find it themselves! You can order a copy of your results online from the state examinations commission. Far as I know it's free if you sat the leaving between 2006-2011 for some reason and it cost 14.50 otherwise

Not sure how to post a link to the website but a quick Google of "ordering leaving cert transcripts" will get you there.

Fantastic thanks a million Betty. Let's hope my memory isn't deceiving me now and I did score a D3 or above. What stage are you on now? I live in Australia so I will have to fly home for stage 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So speaking with someone today, and if you pass the interview you have to sit this test as they teach Irish down in Temple-more, they won't accept 'late' entry’s on the requirements. I don't think the guy understood what I meant, I don't see the harm in having the French come the time of the interview and the pace this is moving at it wouldn't surprise me if its this time next year for the guys doing stage 3 now.

I can't imagine I will get passed the Irish exam, so going to go ahead and get my French was its the only one I can sit between college part time also. I'll apply again in the next campaign if I am still interested.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    So speaking with someone today, and if you pass the interview you have to sit this test as they teach Irish down in Temple-more, they won't accept 'late' entry’s on the requirements. I don't think the guy understood what I meant, I don't see the harm in having the French come the time of the interview and the pace this is moving at it wouldn't surprise me if its this time next year for the guys doing stage 3 now.

I can't imagine I will get passed the Irish exam, so going to go ahead and get my French was its the only one I can sit between college part time also. I'll apply again in the next campaign if I am still interested.

If you got above a D3 in the leaving cert you shouldn't have to sit any Irish exam?

️️Same Iv passed medical,PCT and met with my superintendent this morning and he just said they would be in touch nothing about my irish even though he went through my application and leaving cert results

How's the study going?? Are you feeling confident? I'm seriously stressed over it especially with only a few weeks to go!!

If you got above a D3 in the leaving cert you shouldn't have to sit any Irish exam?

Done foundation level. The fact we get no prep material is a bit of a joke. If its up to LC level then surely you should be able to see the past papers like the LC. Anywhere in Dublin doing part time LC Irish on a Monday Friday or Saturday. I have French available on Saturday.

I was just thinking there reading another thread. Could we defer till we get LC ?

Started French course today.

TallGlass wrote: »
    I was just thinking there reading another thread. Could we defer till we get LC ?

Started French course today.

Hi TallGlass,

Unfortunately you cannot defer until you've been offered a place in Templemore and you won't be offered a place if you don't meet the language eligibility requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Could I make a suggestion? If a bunch of you from around the country got together and approached one of the big Irish courses - say Oideas Gael (http://oideasgael.ie/en/) - and asked them to run a Skype-based intensive night course for the Leaving Cert in Irish, you could do it without worrying about where you are. You could certainly find native speakers who'd do half-hour or hour-long conversation sessions in Irish with you one-to-one by Skype as an additional fluency aid. Then if you all sit the Leaving together, and perhaps also provide essays talking about why you want to be gardaí - giving good and cogent and sensible reasons - you would surely find a different attitude.

I wouldn't necessarily take the opinion of the operative on the end of the phone line as being the policy of the Department (but this is just my personal opinion).

How's the study going?? Are you feeling confident? I'm seriously stressed over it especially with only a few weeks to go!!

Nightmare. Have my exam tommorow. Have hardly done any study cod I have been so busy in work with over time. Not confident at all. And got a call today to meet with my superintendent tmro aswell even doh I met with him before Strange one

Nightmare. Have my exam tommorow. Have hardly done any study cod I have been so busy in work with over time. Not confident at all. And got a call today to meet with my superintendent tmro aswell even doh I met with him before Strange one[/quote

You'll be fine!!!! Once you have some grasp of it hopefully you'll be good!! That's a strange one alright.maybe he forget he met you lol

You should learn off a few irish essays I got them on the Internet and hope to god one of them come up!!! I've my irish next week and I'm dreading it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robbiewhelo

I have my irish tomorrow too. Im in the same boat as you DUBLIN112. From what have been told from people who I know that are already passed this test. It shouldnt be to hard. As they are not getting the number through to templemore that they want. out of 150 of the last bunch only 93 graduated. I have gone through the medical but couldnt make fitness test yet. but I heard this is the tougher part of the stages I know one lad that failed on 2 push ups and has to go back in january to do it again. Im slowly losing interest in joining with the way the force is going. The way they are getting treated atm.. And money isnt getting better while most industries wages are going up.

• Advertisement

I have my irish tomorrow too. Im in the same boat as you DUBLIN112. From what have been told from people who I know that are already passed this test. It shouldnt be to hard. As they are not getting the number through to templemore that they want. out of 150 of the last bunch only 93 graduated. I have gone through the medical but couldnt make fitness test yet. but I heard this is the tougher part of the stages I know one lad that failed on 2 push ups and has to go back in january to do it again. Im slowly losing interest in joining with the way the force is going. The way they are getting treated atm.. And money isnt getting better while most industries wages are going up.

️️Ye im the exact same passed medical and fitness and am fed up at this stage with how it's being handled I just wanna get the exam finished with at this stage I don't care if I pass or fail now would rather have done the exam before taking days off work for interviews and Medicaid etc .. Best of luck tommorow btw

Advertisement