Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table Lamp with Led Bulb & Mechanical Timer

Options
  • 08-10-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Starting a new thread for this.:)

1. can led bulbs be used in a table lamp and a mechanical timer.

2. Are they suitable for constant switching on/off every 15 mins throughout the night.

3. What would 10hrs use cost, would it be peanuts.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Hmmmmm.... a table lamp thread with mechanical timer!, are me and 2011 allowed in on this haha

only joking.

Yes basically - is your answer, i have not heard of LEd bulbs giving hassle on switching but i have on dimming. If your just switching on and off you should be fine. (i stand to be corrected on that)

basically 1000 watts of electricity burning for 1 hour generally costs around 0.15 cent i think depending on tafiff
    So depending on how many times it switches (take an average)

Depends on LED bulb you choose also (how many watts)

Finally choose a good quality brand LED bulb and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

The more the merrier:)
    Par1 wrote: »

Finally choose a good quality brand LED bulb and you should be fine.

What would be a good brand name(s) are ones in Aldi poor quality, prices aren't, €7+

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

I wouldn't necessarily say Aldi's are poor quality because anything iv ever bought from Aldi was generally decent quality. I don't know to be honest because iv never used them in fact i never knew Aldi sold lightbulbs. I have used Phillips, Osram, GE, etc and there's a decent English brand called Bell which i have seen around the place and i have used them and been impressed.

I'm not a fan of Aurora or Robus as i have had problems with there quality before but that's only my opinion. Id expect to pay 9-16 euro ish. Id look for high life expectancy measured in hours and the brightness is generally measured in Lumen output. You generally find higher Lumens and higher wattage go hand in hand but not all the time. Just remember the higher the wattage the more electricity it consumes.

Finally i personally would not buy bulbs from supermarkets or DIY stores id rather go to an electric wholesale's (they are practically everywhere). The reason i say this is some manufacturers like Phillips launch a diy standard bulb and also a professional bulb (that's not great wording) but basically the diy marketed bulb is inferior to the professional bulb...actually domestic and commercial are better words the commercial been available in wholesale's and better quality in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Starting a new thread for this.:)

3. What would 10hrs use cost, would it be peanuts.:D

I am not familiar with the cost of peanuts.

A LED bulb would typically consume 5 watts or less. I'll assume 5 watts to be conservative. If you have your timer set to switch on and off every 15 minutes over a 10 hours period that equates to 5 hours of actual running time. So in one night you will consume 5 * 5 = 25watt-hours.

At standard rates 1,000 watt-hours will cost you 19 cent (including VAT).

So in one night your bill will be 19 * 25 / 1,000 = 0.475 cent.

After a month (30 nights) it will come to 14 cent. That's pretty cheap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Led is fine for switching on/off

The lamp life is supposed to be unaffected by short on times if im recalling correctly

• Advertisement
Advertisement