Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme Brat camp

Options
  • 08-10-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here see this documentary on channel 4 this evening about American kids who sent to camps to correct their bad behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Yep. Couldnt believe what I was watching to be honest. Parents who have failed are treating their kids like unwanted items and just shipping them off to be 'fixed'.

The most bizzare part was the revelation that many of the kids are shipped off numerous times...... eh.... obviously what they're doing at camp isnt working if they have to go back again & again!

All these camps are teaching the kids is that their parents dont love them. Thats the long term effect it will have. Not to mention the various other psychological problems this will cause

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm surprised the ones that were shown are not shut down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Pretty bad alright. One woman sold her house to pay for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

professore wrote: »

That is insane. In fairness, I think the issue is more of them being in a position of misguided desperation, especially when it comes to selling their own house. They expect sending them off to camp, similar to the premise of sending someone off to rehab is part of a solution to the problem.

I'd feel sorry for both the parents and their child in such an instance that they seem to be so caught up in what's going on, they can't see things about themselves objectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Boarding school would be heaven, compared to this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, it was mainly the parents that needed to be sent to camp... "how not to be a ****e parent camp".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

i saw that and was watching with wife who runs a creche and she was amazed they could get away with stuff like that. both the parents and the camps.

the parents seemed to think the children should just be perfect and had given up on them way too quickly and had no interest in parenting or understanding children. when they showed the one of the mother who was having her son "transported" to some school I was expecting a rough tough volatile teen who was going to cause physical aggression with the 2 guys not an over weight spotty geek whos crime was spending too much time on his computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

For anyone that didn't see it and wants to, you can see it here:
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/extreme-brat-camp/4od

Horrendous treatment of kids. Causing extreme mental trauma and physical pain in order to change a child's behavior is abhorrent. Some of the techniques used are similar to those used to interrogate terrorist suspects. Actually, prisoners are treated better.

And to learn that there are companies that offer 'kidnapping' services for parents is shocking. Imagine paying someone to come to your home and forcibly remove your young child and then transport them against their will to a 'camp' that then inflicts physical and mental pain on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

In any of these parenting shows where outside help is needed to control kids, it's usually the parents who are the problem. Even in Supernanny, who doesn't use extreme methods, it's the parents she has to teach how to parent. It's always interesting to watch when she goes away after a few days, how quickly the parents revert to their bad habits and the kids get out of control again.

There was another UK show "Young, dumb and living off Mum" about spoiled teenagers. The parents indulged the kids and never set boundaries and then wondered why their little dears had no respect :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement