Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane autobiography.

• 08-10-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭

The impression I get of Mr. Roy Keane is that of a not very intelligent individual even by usual footballer standards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

He's a gentleman.
    He's a class act.
    He's a rebel, and he stands up to bullies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Attention seeker. Reminds me of Joey Barton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A very bitter man, a shame as he has so much to celebrate and be proud of. The bit about Haaland, where he could've gone for a bit of redemption, speaks volumes really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Big united fan here

Can't stand the sight of Keanes head anymore. Some bitter, ott, unnecessary quotes from this book out there.

Why would ya be bothered with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

chicorytip wrote: »
    The impression I get of Mr. Roy Keane is that of a not very intelligent individual even by usual footballer standards.

Don't be silly.

I've been getting great craic from the quotes all week. The Hartson and Savage stories being personal favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Don't be silly.

I've been getting great craic from the quotes all week. The Hartson and Savage stories being personal favourites.

Gis us some quotes!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Gis us some quotes!

On Savage
    “I rang Mark Hughes. Robbie [Savage] wasn’t in the Blackburn team and I asked Mark if we could try to arrange a deal.

Sparky said: ‘Yeah, yeah, he’s lost his way here but he could still do a job for you.’ Robbie’s legs were going a bit but I thought he might come up to us [at Sunderland], with his long hair, and give us a lift – the way Yorkie [Dwight Yorke] had, a big personality in the dressing room.

Sparky gave me permission to give him a call. So I got Robbie’s mobile number and rang him. It went to his voicemail: ‘Hi, it’s Robbie – whazzup!’ like the Budweiser ad. I never called him back. I thought: ‘I can’t be ****ing signing that.’”

On Hartson/Celtic
    “My first game [for Celtic] was Clyde, away, in the third round of the Scottish Cup. We were beaten 2-1. It was a nightmare.

I wasn’t happy with my own game. I did OK, but OK wasn’t good enough. After the game – the disappointment. As I was taking my jersey off, I noticed the Nike tag was still on it.

When I got on the bus John Hartson, a really good guy, was already sitting there and he was eating a packet of crisps – with a fizzy drink. I said to myself: ‘Welcome to Hell.’”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The quotes I've read basically some up why he'll never make it as a football manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The problem is that everything that made him so good as a player then made him so bitter after his playing days. It was hard to not look up to Keano as a hero of a player in fairness. A genuinely world class player that seemingly grafted his way into United when there was supposedly more talented players around him, and in turn became the most important player in that team.

You can't accuse him of not saying it as he sees it but everyone's opinion on events are the different. But he definitely has a lot of bitterness towards different people as a result.

Made up nonsense to perpetuate his own image as some deep, brooding genius. While making a few quid, which was always his driving motivation anyway, whether it was reneging on Blackburn, or working for those he claimed to hate like Niall Quinn or the FAI.

He'll wet his pants and try to distance himself from his "autobiography" if the FA start questioning it. As he did with his last one. I guess the thought of a fine was just too much...

Does anyone believe the stuff? He didn't like Savage's answer...but he signed Cisse? Does he explain how he cracked up at Sunderland and used to go AWOL for days (acc to Yorke)? I believe he puts his foot in it yet again with Colin Clarke, as if he wasn't nasty enough when it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Made up?

Doubtful, if any of it was made up there's likely be legal cases, and there hasn't been - not this time or on his last one either.

Made up?

Doubtful, if any of it was made up there's likely be legal cases, and there hasn't been - not this time or on his last one either.

There can only be cases if the contents are defamatory.

I mean, take the Savage story. Savage can't sue if Keane claims the sole reason he didn't sign him was because he said "whassup". But who really believes that? He signed Cisse, did he think The Lord of Frodsam in his red suits was deep enough for his team? He can't be sued over his own reasoning...but we can say "yeah right".

There was an FA charge over the last one, where his defence was pretty much that Dunphy made it up. Zero credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I must admit I'm enjoying reading the snippets this week.

All fairly harmless tbf.

Never thought he was a guy with low self esteem but probably explains the portrayed hard man outer shell.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He already has a book, did he really need a second one? Found more people to criticise I suppose.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

He already has a book, did he really need a second one? Found more people to criticise I suppose.

I'd imagine he'll make some nice cash in fairness!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine he'll make some nice cash in fairness!

Oh definitely, I doubt he's stuck for money though, between his 2 assistant manager jobs.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Could of at least been released after the Germany game. If we get hammered it could of been a useful distraction for MON.
    Keane never out of the news lately. Wish he would go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

chicorytip wrote: »

You should probably have a chat with yourself about that so, there is a high probability you are also getting many, many other, more important things in your life, completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The bit about Haaland, where he could've gone for a bit of redemption, speaks volumes really.

I'd much rather he was honest about what he thinks than pander to the media by pretending to be interested in some false "redemption".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

He's turned into a langer bill

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I must admit I'm enjoying reading the snippets this week.

All fairly harmless tbf.

Never thought he was a guy with low self esteem but probably explains the portrayed hard man outer shell.

The insight into how fear stopped him signing for Madrid is interesting alright, so much more to the man then the public persona. Not that most care of course and the headlines are sure to draw criticism but it is an excellent read, the detail behind the headlines is fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think what Keane's doing is wrong and says a lot about him.

However it all adds to the drama of football and is great craic.

Some of the quotes had me in stitches.

One thing for sure, Gary Neville and Nicky Butt will be feeling very different about it. They won't go to the jacks together at the next "Class of 92" do.

He also "remembered" stories from the 90s that he forgot to tell in his first "tell all".

Though since his FA hearing on Haaland where he disowned extracts from that one, maybe he felt he wanted a more accurate version.

I wonder what he has saved up for the 3rd or 4th autobiography?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think what Keane's doing is wrong and says a lot about him.

However it all adds to the drama of football and is great craic.

Some of the quotes had me in stitches.

One thing for sure, Gary Neville and Nicky Butt will be feeling very different about it. They won't go to the jacks together at the next "Class of 92" do.

Was that one not made up? :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

"Needless to say, I had the last laugh. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Anywhere doing it cheap enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

I'd say the vast majority of people involved in football think the same way as him when it comes to certain things and others in the game it's just Roy's a rare one as he has no problem in lobbing it down on paper/book.

You'll have your Rio Ferdinand's bringing out pop up picture type of books/autobiographies, the Beckham type full of all the usual aul' boring cliches, licking this ones hole and the other ones hole etc and then you'll have Keane's. Give me a Keano type book/autobiography any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

He's turned into a langer bill

It's more like

"He's turning into a LANGER BIILLL!!!"

• Advertisement

TBP wrote: »
    Give me a Keano type book/autobiography any day of the week.

I would have thought a series of books to settle old scores now he can't do it with his studs is a bit...depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Was that one not made up? :eek:

Ah was it.....that's a pity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I wouldn't be interested in roys book at all. Robbie keanes one would be interesting id say. (although i hear he doesn't have a good memory of his last match never mind 1 ten years ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

TBP wrote: »
    I'd say the vast majority of people involved in football think the same way as him when it comes to certain things and others in the game it's just Roy's a rare one as he has no problem in lobbing it down on paper/book.

You'll have your Rio Ferdinand's bringing out pop up picture type of books/autobiographies, the Beckham type full of all the usual aul' boring cliches, licking this ones hole and the other ones hole etc and then you'll have Keane's. Give me a Keano type book/autobiography any day of the week.

Exact way I think. Some footballers book is released every week and nothing is ever said about them cause it's the usual "e went to Norwich it was raining it was a tough game but we won thanks to this player he was great I remember I was stuck on the Motorway with him for ages and he started singing but he was crazy like that " piss off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

How much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Can't stand Keane. Great player, c**t of a man going by what we see of him. Always was. Always will be. The iron "will to win" caricature was always nonsense.

However, to accuse him of not being intelligent is just wrong.

• Advertisement

**** of a man is not how you would normally hear someone who does so much charity work described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

I'm just surprised hes releasing another book. Dont see the need for it. He has 2 jobs, is well paid, financially secure (as far as I know). The ONLY logic I can see in releasing this book is that he is paving the way for when his career in football is complete and he can walk onto the stage as a Villain in the Gaiety Panto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Eason's online are selling it for twenty quid. Anyone see it cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Eason's online are selling it for twenty quid. Anyone see it cheaper?

I've seen it pretty much all over the internet. For free. Don't feel like I actually have to read a copy of it now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The iron "will to win" caricature was always nonsense.

how so ?? - that was the trait I so admired - he dragged United to a Champions league final and Ireland to a World cup tournament with this will to win.

What I admired in Keane was he made the most of his limited ability , and in that sense was a real Irish hero to me , plenty more talented players who pissed that talent away.

What I disliked was that Haaland retribution , and I've no doubt deep down he regrets the Saipan stubbornness , not the facts , but if he had let it go until after the WC , especially as he was so integral in getting us there, and there must be what ifs

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    **** of a man is not how you would normally hear someone who does so much charity work described.

Sure they all do charity work.

Some, like Gary Kelly and Niall Quinn, gave huge payouts to charity. Think Keane did give some of his, it wasn't clear at the time.

Even Lee Bowyer was great for the old hospital visits, John Terry is supposed to be likewise, and many would describe them as "**** of men".

Doing charity work doesn't automatically make you a great person!

I think Jimmy Saville has destroyed that myth for ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

thebaz wrote: »
    how so ?? - that was the trait I so admired - he dragged United to a Champions league final and Ireland to a World cup tournament with this will to win.

What I admired in Keane was he made the most of his limited ability , and in that sense was a real Irish hero to me , plenty more talented players who pissed that talent away.

What I disliked was that Haaland retribution , and I've no doubt deep down he regrets the Saipan stubbornness , not the facts , but if he had let it go until after the WC , especially as he was so integral in getting us there, and there must be what ifs

Keane loved to win. But that love wasn't absolute. For some reason, most people seem to think it was. Two examples (there are more):

1. Man U v City (2001): The game is 1-1. It's a local derby. United are still chasing the title (I think). He gets himself sent off to settle an old score despite the fact it handicaps his team and gets him suspended afterwards.

2. Sunderland v Man U (2002): The game is poised at 1-1. It's the first game of the season. Keane sticks his elbow in Jason McAteer's face to settle a personal score. He gets sent off and suspended.

He was a phenomenal player. He did love to win and many times he was the main driving force behind United winning games. But he would also throw his team under the bus if it suited him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Always makes me laugh a little with the "Dragged them to a Final in Turin in the semi final" ... he had a mighty game and to be fair it was one of many many games he had like that for club and country but people like to wax lyrical about that one night as if it were a 1 off. Also to be noted the team he had around him for United was possibly one of the best they ever assembled and only matched by the Arsenal Invincibles in modern times so it's not like he dragged a rabble of terrible players towards a CL final! Now the Ireland v Portugal/Holland were imo the ultimate tribute to the type of player he was as he was the difference between getting to the finals and not ... incredible to see him in real life on the pitch for those 2 games and it really was something to behold.

Keane is big news both home and abroad because he was who he was for United and because he speaks his mind litterrally - which goes against 90% of all pundits on the TV - that makes him backpage headlines even when he does another book that is not saying a whole lot else different from the first one.

Personally i couldn't give a monkeys about what Keane does these days, although he is entertaining to listen to at times ... but i'll always remember him as the best player in his position in the world for many years which as a Irishman you do not get to say anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I tell ya what. Say what you want about there being a time and place for some of the outbursts, and a massively public forum may not be one of them, but it is great reading. One reason why I've stopped reading sporting autobiographies is the monotony and generally much of a muchness of them all. At least there seems to be a bit of an honesty about this, albiet done in an angry way. He's box office, and probably the most fascinating Irish public figure in decades. That isn't going to change.

Will be a damn sight far more enjoyable read than BOD's equivalent, which will no doubt reference Amy and Sadie every opportunity it gets.

Keane loved to win. But that love wasn't absolute...
    ...But he would also throw his team under the bus if it suited him.

Iran v Ireland, 2002 WC Qualifier.

Didn't travel or play because he had some understanding with the manager that he'd only have to tog off once in the 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Iran v Ireland, 2002 WC Qualifier.

Didn't travel or play because he had some understanding with the manager that he'd only have to tog off once in the 2 games.

Because he was injured, so what exactly is the problem? A lot of players today wouldn't have played either game.

Can a mod ban me from this thread for my own good please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Keane loved to win. But that love wasn't absolute. For some reason, most people seem to think it was. Two examples (there are more):

1. Man U v City (2001): The game is 1-1. It's a local derby. United are still chasing the title (I think). He gets himself sent off to settle an old score despite the fact it handicaps his team and gets him suspended afterwards.

2. Sunderland v Man U (2002): The game is poised at 1-1. It's the first game of the season. Keane sticks his elbow in Jason McAteer's face to settle a personal score. He gets sent off and suspended.

as stated before, the 2001 was inexcusable in my book - but the McAteer incident was handbags , over the bitter falling out from Saipan , many if not most competitive players have an edge - not everyone plays the game with the discipline of Gary Linekar.

A good friend of mine worked in the Portmarnock hotel a good few years back, serving drinks, room service etc. By all accounts Keane was the nicest of the whole lot of them, decent tipper and generally a polite enough bloke. Shay Given was supposedly the worst, which may or may not surprise some.

For the most part i think footballers are idiots and with the amount of money floating around these days they're only getting worse. Keane is a flawed individual, but give me a character like him over Soccer AM propah naughty, Lad of the week, fodder like Jimmy Bullard or housewives favourite Jamie Rednapp.

Also, if Kevin Kilbane can release an autobiography, Keane is entitled to release 10.

• Advertisement
Advertisement