Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane autobiography.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

thebaz wrote: »
    as stated before, the 2001 was inexcusable in my book - but the McAteer incident was handbags , over the bitter falling out from Saipan , many if not most competitive players have an edge - not everyone plays the game with the discipline of Gary Linekar.

He stuck his elbow in McAteer's face to settle a personal score. It may have been much about nothing but he knew that act would likely get him sent off and suspended. He hurt his teams chances of winning that game and the ones he was suspended for because it suited his own personal agenda.

There's no need to go to extremes on this (i.e. Gary Lineker wasn't the only player to not act like Keane sometimes did) anymore than there is a need to go to the extreme of saying that Keane's will to win was all encompassing. It wasn't.

He was a great player. He is very entertaining to listen to. He is very intelligent. He's a walking bag of contradictions. That's what makes him so fascinating even to someone like me who can't stand what I know of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

how so ?? - that was the trait I so admired - he dragged United to a Champions league final and Ireland to a World cup tournament with this will to win.

What I admired in Keane was he made the most of his limited ability , and in that sense was a real Irish hero to me , plenty more talented players who pissed that talent away.

What I disliked was that Haaland retribution , and I've no doubt deep down he regrets the Saipan stubbornness , not the facts , but if he had let it go until after the WC , especially as he was so integral in getting us there, and there must be what ifs

Jesus Christ, he's hardly Kevin Kilbane. He was far from a player of limited ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I wonder what the Keane of the mid-late nineties would think of the Keane and his book now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Trilla wrote: »
    I wonder what the Keane of the mid-late nineties would think of the Keane and his book now?

Everybody Changes

Easons €19.99
    Tesco €15.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Trilla wrote: »

I wonder whether Utd fans of the mid-nineties would believe so many of them could turn on Keane because of a couple of books.

At least the scousers and the Leeds fans are consistent in their opinion of him.:P

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, he's hardly Kevin Kilbane. He was far from a player of limited ability.

That stuff irks me. He was an excellent footballer because he had ability. He wasn't some donkey who just worked hard. Also, he had a great game in Turin but he was hardly the only reason United got to the final.

Unfortunately, characters like Keane polarize opinions so everything about him becomes absolute in other people's eyes despite the fact that there is all sorts of shades of gray in pretty much every aspect of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

DeanAustin wrote: »
    There's no need to go to extremes on this (i.e. Gary Lineker wasn't the only player to not act like Keane sometimes did) anymore than there is a need to go to the extreme of saying that Keane's will to win was all encompassing. It wasn't.

His will to win was all encompassing - sometimes that will to win can lead to differences on the pitch - lets just agree to differ - he never had the ability of Zidane, Gascoigne, Brady to name a few - but he got every ounce of what what was given to him, and for that I Admire him , and also for trying to set the bar higher for what Ireland should aim for - lets not just show up to tournaments , lets aim higher , when we have the talent ( 10 years ago

His will to win was all encompassing - sometimes that will to win can lead to differences on the pitch - lets just agree to differ - he never had the ability of Zidane, Gascoigne, Brady to name a few - but he got every ounce of what what was given to him, and for that I Admire him , and also for trying to set the bar higher for what Ireland should aim for - lets not just show up to tournaments , lets aim higher , when we have the talent ( 10 years ago

Couldn't disagree more with some of this but, like you say, best to agree to disagree.

• Advertisement

Because he was injured, so what exactly is the problem? A lot of players today wouldn't have played either game.

Did he not play 2 days later v Leicester City? And went on to play against Bayern Munich and Arsenal in the following days?

Do you actually believe he was injured? I didn't realise anyone did. Afair McCarthy accused him of faking injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Did he not play 2 days later v Leicester City? And went on to play against Bayern Munich and Arsenal in the following days?

Do you actually believe he was injured? I didn't realise anyone did. Afair McCarthy accused him of faking injury.

Yes I do, and we aren't talking about a broken leg but the type of injury that needed managing in terms of games played. You would see that more and more as his career came to an end, he was not able to play every game and the likes of Ferguson realised that.

These days its actually quite common that older injury prone players will protect themselves by managing their games and sitting out where they can, I have no problem believing that something similar happened with Keane and the Iran games. After all, this is a player who again and again demonstrated an intense desire to play and win, your claim requires that out of nowhere and totally against character he decided to sit out a game just because.

Also, I wouldn't give a blue hoot what McCarthy said or thought.

To accuse any player of faking injury is a pretty serious charge - then again , no one really knows what happened at Saipan bar the players and managers - its history now , no doubt certain things still get blown out of proportion , but the wounds have healed somewhat with a bit redemption - in fact Keane and McCarthy get on reasonably well now as far as I know.

Compared with dead grannies and being too hungover to get off the team bus at Lansdowne on match day, Keane missing the away leg of the Iran play-off barely registers as an incident unless you have a long-standing bitterness towards the guy.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm a huge Keane fan tbh. He was thrilling as a player in a unique way. The Holland and Portugal home games of the 2002 WC were two of the finest individual performances I ever saw (he was particularly unbelievable in the former) and he made the hair stand on the back of my neck through both. At his best he was everywhere and influenced a game like no other.

By all accounts he's a family man / polite to the general public / paid for bog standard seats when he was out of work. When it comes to his profession well, yeah - he seems to be driven to the point of obsession and one who doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Bear in mind that Ferguson (arguably the GOAT manager) also released two score settling autobiographies. Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser as it were.

And it's not as if this book appears to be full on cuntism from start to finish. The Hartson quote involves him admonishing his own performance as sub par and noting that Hartson was a really nice guy. I think he falls short as the utter monster people would like him to be.

Yes I do, and we aren't talking about a broken leg but the type of injury that needed managing in terms of games played.

You mean managing like not playing for your country but playing for your club within 2 days, and playing against the might of both Bayern Munich and Arsenal (as well as Leicester) within 8 days?

Unusual injury. Can't say I've heard it happening too often. It sounds...convenient.
    To accuse any player of faking injury is a pretty serious charge...

Oh absolutely. Not sure McCarthy was right to say it at all in front of other players.

But let's face it. He was only saying what everyone knows. There is no injury that forces a player to miss internationals but tog out against Bayern and Arsenal within days...except a mild disinterest in a green jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You mean managing like not playing for your country but playing for your club within 2 days, and playing against the might of both Bayern Munich and Arsenal (as well as Leicester) within 8 days?

Unusual injury. Can't say I've heard it happening too often. It sounds...convenient.

Gee, a player with a very intensive run of games making a decision to miss one game so that he could play in the others. Sure that never happens at all in this world of phantom niggles and early retirements now does it?

If you can't say you've ever heard of it its probably because your dislike of Keane means you don't want to.

...except a mild disinterest in a green jersey.

Do you think Paul McGrath had a bit of that?

He missed games with phantom injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I love this quote;
    When I heard: ‘I liked your commentary last night’, I
    knew I was only talking bull**** like the rest of them.
    Hopefully my bull**** was a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Blay wrote: »
    I love this quote;
    This one made me chuckle as well.

“Midfielders might say to me, 'But I’m covering 12 kilometers a game boss'.

“I say, that’s because you keep giving the ball away.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya see the thing I don't get about Keane is why does he release books. He portrays the image of someone who never would and would strongly criticise anyone that would.

I'm not a fan of Keane, but I do admire his honesty and his ability to tell it like it is. He's a character of the game and there isn't many left in this age of professionalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

rob316 wrote: »
    I do admire his honesty and his ability to tell it like it is. He's a character of the game and there isn't many left in this age of professionalism.

So true... so many footballers are painfully bland and stuck up their own holes. Part of the reason why Balotelli is so entertaining to have in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Didn't even know this was out but I'm nearly sure saw it in Tesco today at €8.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Didn't even know this was out but I'm nearly sure saw it in Tesco today at €8.

It's €8 discounted from €23.99, it's priced at €15.99 in Tesco. Got my copy there during the lunch hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

zorro2566 wrote: »
    It's €8 discounted from €23.99, it's priced at €15.99 in Tesco. Got my copy there during the lunch hour.

Ah I see just caught it out the corner of my eye. Makes sense.

But let's face it. He was only saying what everyone knows. There is no injury that forces a player to miss internationals but tog out against Bayern and Arsenal within days...except a mild disinterest in a green jersey.

disagree , you or I don't know whether he feigned an injury - only the team management would know for sure - i've often felt unfit one day , and 2 days later felt grand - besides Keane and many other player come under great pressure from there club , who pays there wage , not the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

After Liam Brady Ireland's second best player, one of my favourites but he really has to shut that big mouth of his, nobody cares anymore, and most of what he says is cringe worthy at this stage and he comes across very bitter.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    After Liam Brady Ireland's second best player, one of my favourites but he really has to shut that big mouth of his, nobody cares anymore, and most of what he says is cringe worthy at this stage and he comes across very bitter.

Nobody cares.

I'd imagine no books will be sold so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm a huge Keane fan tbh. He was thrilling as a player in a unique way. The Holland and Portugal home games of the 2002 WC were two of the finest individual performances I ever saw (he was particularly unbelievable in the former) and he made the hair stand on the back of my neck through both. At his best he was everywhere and influenced a game like no other.

By all accounts he's a family man / polite to the general public / paid for bog standard seats when he was out of work. When it comes to his profession well, yeah - he seems to be driven to the point of obsession and one who doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Bear in mind that Ferguson (arguably the GOAT manager) also released two score settling autobiographies. Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser as it were.

And it's not as if this book appears to be full on cuntism from start to finish. The Hartson quote involves him admonishing his own performance as sub par and noting that Hartson was a really nice guy. I think he falls short as the utter monster people would like him to be.

We have our differences, but I just wanna say, cause I don't say it enough, I love you man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Oranage2 wrote: »

Arent you the Arsenal fan who's constantly having a pop in the Liverpool thread?

• Advertisement

Arent you the Arsenal fan who's constantly having a pop in the Liverpool thread?

He is certainly the guy posting about something neither he nor anyone else apparently cares about. Despite all evidence to the contrary of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Nobody cares.

I'd imagine no books will be sold so :)

Well I'd imagine a few Irish united supporters would buy it, big enough market I suppose, It'the same as big brother and x factor type shows at this stage, nobody actually cares but they'll still watch the car crash unfold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

For a man I was never a fan of he is approaching legendary status, watching the UTD fans crack up is very amusing😄

Yeah Utd fans should crack up alright when he says things like this about the club and fans (its the real quote, not the fake one that was floating about)
    I loved everything about United. From the day I signed for them. I just think it suited my personality. I loved the team, I loved the way we played. I liked all the lads, I liked the training, I liked the way we travelled. I liked the pressure. I liked the United fans. I thought they were pretty switched on, even when we lost – they’d be going mad, but a nice mad.

I liked the demands. The kit. The badge. The history. I liked living in Manchester. I got on well with the manager. There was trust there – a big word in football. I liked the staff. Everyone at the training ground. The groundsmen. The different coaches over the years. Brian Kidd. Jim Ryan. Steve McClaren. Walter Smith. Carlos Queiroz. Micky Phelan. And winning – I enjoyed the winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

DeanAustin wrote: »

2. Sunderland v Man U (2002): The game is poised at 1-1. It's the first game of the season. Keane sticks his elbow in Jason McAteer's face to settle a personal score. He gets sent off and suspended.

was that because McAteer didn't tell him about the fit bird in the viking hat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

[On Savage

Quote:
    “I rang Mark Hughes. Robbie [Savage] wasn’t in the Blackburn team and I asked Mark if we could try to arrange a deal.

Sparky said: ‘Yeah, yeah, he’s lost his way here but he could still do a job for you.’ Robbie’s legs were going a bit but I thought he might come up to us [at Sunderland], with his long hair, and give us a lift – the way Yorkie [Dwight Yorke] had, a big personality in the dressing room.

Sparky gave me permission to give him a call. So I got Robbie’s mobile number and rang him. It went to his voicemail: ‘Hi, it’s Robbie – whazzup!’ like the Budweiser ad. I never called him back. I thought: ‘I can’t be ****ing signing that.’”
    On Hartson/Celtic

Quote:
    “My first game [for Celtic] was Clyde, away, in the third round of the Scottish Cup. We were beaten 2-1. It was a nightmare.

I wasn’t happy with my own game. I did OK, but OK wasn’t good enough. After the game – the disappointment. As I was taking my jersey off, I noticed the Nike tag was still on it.

When I got on the bus John Hartson, a really good guy, was already sitting there and he was eating a packet of crisps – with a fizzy drink. I said to myself: ‘Welcome to Hell.’”

My two fav quotes from the book so far

The Robbie Savage one is hilarious, laughed out loud in a public place at that and drew some looks!

Zico wrote: »
    Do you think Paul McGrath had a bit of that?

He missed games with phantom injuries.

Phantom injuries..... He was probably hammered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Paid 7 odd euro for the ebook version off Amazon after getting tired of waiting for it to appear on the high seas. Good enough read so far, though its the little (non sensationalist) details that interest me the most in these type of books, which would probably bore the arse off most other folk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Zico wrote: »
    Compared with dead grannies and being too hungover to get off the team bus at Lansdowne on match day, Keane missing the away leg of the Iran play-off barely registers as an incident unless you have a long-standing bitterness towards the guy.;)

I loved the one at Celtic where Strachan wanted to bring him in as a sub, but Mr Professionalism himself had headed off to take a piss.
    Sure why would be ready to come on, no need to take a leak at half time at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

"Needless to say, I had the last laugh. "

"Needles to say, you do drugs" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Always makes me laugh a little with the "Dragged them to a Final in Turin in the semi final" ... he had a mighty game and to be fair it was one of many many games he had like that for club and country but people like to wax lyrical about that one night as if it were a 1 off. Also to be noted the team he had around him for United was possibly one of the best they ever assembled and only matched by the Arsenal Invincibles in modern times so it's not like he dragged a rabble of terrible players towards a CL final! Now the Ireland v Portugal/Holland were imo the ultimate tribute to the type of player he was as he was the difference between getting to the finals and not ... incredible to see him in real life on the pitch for those 2 games and it really was something to behold.

Keane is big news both home and abroad because he was who he was for United and because he speaks his mind litterrally - which goes against 90% of all pundits on the TV - that makes him backpage headlines even when he does another book that is not saying a whole lot else different from the first one.

Personally i couldn't give a monkeys about what Keane does these days, although he is entertaining to listen to at times ... but i'll always remember him as the best player in his position in the world for many years which as a Irishman you do not get to say anymore!

On that Juve game, United were 2-0 down to a brilliant Juventus team. Keane did grab that game by the scruff of the neck, one of my all time favourite football moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

kryogen wrote: »
    Yeah Utd fans should crack up alright when he says things like this about the club and fans (its the real quote, not the fake one that was floating about)

I was not referring to any one quote in particular more the reaction as a whole, it is amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I really dislike keanes personality during his playing days. After the 2002 world cup that made it worse.
    But now I think he's great! Most of the quotes and stories are a bit tongue in cheek and fairly funny. I'd say it's a good read. He doesn't take himself nearly as seriously as he used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Love this story about Cantona

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/keane-cantona-showed-his-class-as-captain-by-giving-16000-to-butt-and-scholes-30649442.html
    “In my early years at United, there was a players’ pool and each of us would get about £800 out of it at the end of the season for the work we’d done for the in-house magazines, the club videos,” Keane said in his autobiography, The Second Half.

“We were all on decent money and eight hundred quid wasn’t going to make or break us, so one time, we decided to put all the cheques into a hat and the last cheque out, whoever’s name was on it, got to keep all of the cheques.

“We all put our cheques in except a couple of the younger players – I think it was Becks and Gary and Phil (Neville).

“They opted out. They were new on the scene and didn’t have the money to spare, but Scholesy and Nicky Butt put their cheques in.

“I think I was the third last name out, so I got a run for my money, but the last cheque out – Eric Cantona. He’d won about sixteen grand.

“He came in the next day, there was plenty of banter – ‘Eric, you lucky b
    !’ F
    money to money.’

“But he had got somebody to cash the cheques, he’d split the money in two and he gave it to Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt because, he said, the two of them had the balls to go into it when they couldn’t really afford it.

“The two lads took home about eight grand each.

“I just thought, ‘what a gesture.’ Nobody else would have done it.”

Gee, a player with a very intensive run of games making a decision to miss one game so that he could play in the others. Sure that never happens at all in this world of phantom niggles and early retirements now does it?

If you can't say you've ever heard of it its probably because your dislike of Keane means you don't want to.

And I'd be equally critical of any other player who skipped a crucial game for Ireland to play for his club.

If it happens very often, could you give me one other example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Legend

I've always loved Roy Keane ... even when he was a united fan ...

LEgend !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29561299

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

https://twitter.com/DTguardian/status/520214395834880000

Naturally people will only read the sensationalized extracts and view the book as a score settling one

• Advertisement
Advertisement