Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane autobiography.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

You can definitely see the influence of Roddy Doyle in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not since Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses on that church door has a piece of literature garnered such publicity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

From reading the first chapter and his angst over the Halland affair costing him 400k, im fairly sure the motivation behind the book is financial. I suppose he has a large family to provide for with no major guarantee of future earnings. Or maybe he just loves the rich lifestyle and wants to keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tony O D gets a decent interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The beard is now quite epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I wonder does Roy get a shock when he eyes the clean shaven version of himself on the front cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

8Fsu2RY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    From reading the first chapter and his angst over the Halland affair costing him 400k, im fairly sure the motivation behind the book is financial. I suppose he has a large family to provide for with no major guarantee of future earnings. Or maybe he just loves the rich lifestyle and wants to keep it up

he aint short of few bob by all accounts.

i guess looking to future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kryogen wrote: »
    We have our differences, but I just wanna say, cause I don't say it enough, I love you man.

Arrah, I'm easy to love when people are in agreement with me. Easy to hate otherwise. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The book is only 12.99 in Arnotts ,special offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't read the 1st one, won't be reading the 2nd.
    Getting tiresome now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

NIMAN wrote: »
    Getting tiresome now.
    You are getting tired of not reading things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you want to torture someone make them listen to the audiobook of this, narrated by Roy himself

https://t.co/gWAatI6Ps5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

PM me if ye want the ebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

NIMAN wrote: »
    Getting tiresome now.

Its getting tiresome.....not reading the books?

Righteo

Edit: I see Buckety has beat me to it

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Arrah, I'm easy to love when people are in agreement with me. Easy to hate otherwise. :)

Same as myself I suppose :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bought the first one today in a charity shop for €1, there are tickets on ticketmaster for a book discussion on October 22, it's on in the rds and you get the book signed by roddy and roy, bit steep at €40 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Oh god.. this bit cracked me up:

... But the manager went, ‘No, it’s a disgrace – this fùckin’ video!’ I said, ‘None of the players have got a problem with it.’ With that, van der Sar, who’d been at the club a few months, put his hand up and said, ‘Do you know, Roy, I just think you could’ve used a different tone.'Edwin. Dutch international – six million caps. So I said, ‘Edwin, why don’t you shut the fùck up? You’ve been at this club two minutes and you’ve done more interviews than I’ve done in my twelve years. It was MUTV – I had to do it.’ So he took that; he accepted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I enjoy reading it so far (two chapters in)...I think he speaks his mind and doesn't exaggerate too much. Very entertaining so far.

He wasn't bitter about Dunphy shafting him at all with the 'without a doubt' comment over Haaland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Also, if Kevin Kilbane can release an autobiography, Keane is entitled to release 10.

Ridiculous. Im guessing you say that, not out of hate for Kilbane, but meaning that Keane was a world class player.

Have you read Kevin Kilbane's book???
    I doubt you have, by your sentence.

Its a great read about a footballer who always gave it all.
    I really enjoyed Kevin's book, and he gave all the profits to Down Syndrome Ireland and the Down Syndrome Association.
    And when you read it, you would want to have a heart of stone not to feel something reading about how Lee Carsley and David Moyes helped Kilbane. About how the doctor broke the bad news to Kilbane and his wife. Maybe for personal reasons these parts of the book stick out for me.

I loved his book actually, I opinion is skewed, cause I loved him as a player, so I am biased. But Id recommend it.

I also recommend people reading this thread go to the irishtimes website today, and read Diarmaid Ferriter's article about Keane and the book. (Not sure if links are allowed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The papers are missing all the best bits... Keane starting with management at Sunderland:

I'd never had an office before. Now I had a secretary. I had a phone – a phone with buttons, and different lines. I had a leather chair that swung around, a swivel chair. For the first few days I used to swing around on it. If any of the players or staff had peeped through the office window and seen me going ‘Wheeeh!’...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The papers are missing all the best bits... Keane starting with management at Sunderland:

I'd never had an office before. Now I had a secretary. I had a phone – a phone with buttons, and different lines. I had a leather chair that swung around, a swivel chair. For the first few days I used to swing around on it. If any of the players or staff had peeped through the office window and seen me going ‘Wheeeh!’...

Fairly sure that is artistic license like what happened with his first book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

"Giggsy liked his few bob".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Decent enough read,first autobiography was far better.Plenty of good one liners.The much talked about settling of old scores were far less sensational in the context of the book reading as was to be expected.

As always love his honesty,he does seem overly concerned with money matters considering he should have made a more than sufficiently good living out of his United years to ensure his family's financial security in the long term.

The over arching impression one gets vis a vis his father son relationship with Alex Ferguson is that he was in desperate need of appreciation/affection from the boss.Hopefully their childish toing and froing will cease,Fergie seemed to extend an oliver branch at the Dublin Chamber of Commerce dinner on Thursday night.

His treatment at the end of his United career was despicable,Ferguson was a ruthless man.He could have at least contemplated letting him stay at the club until he'd be in a position to play for another club in January.I suppose it made no sense to drag it out.

His love for the club shines through in his conversations with the taxi man as heads north for Celtic and his son re heading to the United game.

Found the chapters on his managerial career thus far the least enthralling,his angle on the TV punditry and dislike of same in spite of the easy money was interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How many pages is the book and how many pages are worth reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Enjoyable read IMO.

It's clear that he still regrets how things finished at Sunderland and that he only realised how good he had it (facilities, non-interference from the board under Quinn and Drumaville, the relationship he had with Quinn and Drumaville, money to spend etc) when he ended up at Ipswich.

Deep down, I really wish things didn't end so sour. He really doesn't get enough praise for the job he did at Sunderland. I don't think people realise the state the club was in when he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Paully D wrote: »
    Enjoyable read IMO.

It's clear that he still regrets how things finished at Sunderland and that he only realised how good he had it (facilities, non-interference from the board under Quinn and Drumaville, the relationship he had with Quinn and Drumaville, money to spend etc) when he ended up at Ipswich.

Deep down, I really wish things didn't end so sour. He really doesn't get enough praise for the job he did at Sunderland. I don't think people realise the state the club was in when he arrived.

Fair play to you Paully.

Least you can see through the goggles.

Some fans at clubs never give credit to managers for doing a decent job and expect same level all the time

I am on my second read of it, as I said, ignore the media headlines, it is a really good book, full of self deprecation and interesting little stories

I am on my second read of it, as I said, ignore the media headlines, it is a really good book, full of self deprecation and interesting little stories

2nd read of it?

Don't get me wrong, I've read a ton of books more than once but never in such a short time period!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Oranage2 wrote: »
    How many pages is the book and how many pages are worth reading?

Not many pictures so you'd best give it a miss.

I liked the part where he was comparing his injury recovery methods with Ruud and how that at the time he thought he was crazy not playing with sleight injuries, but in the end he was right as he stayed playing until he was 39, and Roy was left crippled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's an incredibly dutch thing though. The slightest niggle and Robben doesn't play. RVP is the same, as is Sneijder. It stops becoming a stereotype when they nearly all do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Paully D wrote: »
    Enjoyable read IMO.

The Sunderland era is the bit I enjoyed most about the book. Although he had it good in that sense, I think the perception of the Sunderland area stifled him a bit and he maybe would be still there if he could have convinced a few more to take a gamble on it.

If he had have gotten Bent, or Rossi.

The bit about the freekick with Gordan was comical for me, great story and an easy few quid made for him.

I think many Sunderland fans will take pride in what he wrote about the club, and that line about Newcastle. Many that I know still hold him in high regard.

I hope he did say to Ellis Short 'why don't you move up from London'.

Do you read anything into the link he sort of questions between asking Sbragia about management and the end of his Sunderland reign?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    2nd read of it?

Don't get me wrong, I've read a ton of books more than once but never in such a short time period!

I read it pretty quick the first time, so now am reading it slower during work, work is slow today :)

Not many pictures so you'd best give it a miss.

I liked the part where he was comparing his injury recovery methods with Ruud and how that at the time he thought he was crazy not playing with sleight injuries, but in the end he was right as he stayed playing until he was 39, and Roy was left crippled!

Thanks man, my usual read is futuristict dispora so I wasnt sure this book would be for me, I also don't like Roddy Doyles style of writing so I'll probably give this a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Very enjoyable read, finished it in one sitting

Also loved the part about Sunderland and his first season there, and the stories about Dwight Yorke. He was very respectful to him even though he admitted they fell out in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Do you read anything into the link he sort of questions between asking Sbragia about management and the end of his Sunderland reign?

Most definitely.

I got the impression that he felt Sbragia had been probably been asked if he fancied taking on the job as caretaker for a whole if/when Keane was let go, hence his overreaction to the question about if he fancied getting into management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

It's funny how so many people with no interest in this book have so much to say about it. :)

Zico wrote: »
    It's funny how so many people with no interest in this book have so much to say about it. :)

He is the Irish assistant manager and the book was released in the build up to 2 competitive games

I suspect if he was managing Dunstable Town, while there'd have been some interest, it would have been far more muted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Very sombre read, he has a dark sense of humour. I am up to chapter 11 now, will finish it tomorrow, great book so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Interview with Kilbane, extended version of the Tony O D one.

Zico wrote: »
    It's funny how so many people with no interest in this book have so much to say aboutt. :)

Not really that funny really, I take it you don't read books at all. Even a novice reader would know that books and authors are regularly criticized and there are no exceptions for Roy no matter how hard the fan boys cry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The only revolation to come from this is just how big a Keane Fanboy Kryogen is!

Kirby wrote: »
    That's an incredibly dutch thing though. The slightest niggle and Robben doesn't play. RVP is the same, as is Sneijder. It stops becoming a stereotype when they nearly all do it.

It should really be adopted by more players if you ask me. I can appreciate the commitment and drive involved with carrying an injury through a match but when you see players playing top level stuff past 35 you've got to admire the approach. Takes discipline to watch from the sidelines in order to get back to your best.
    For example Robben still has incredible speed and acceleration at the age of 30 whereas many players lose their lightning speed before that age.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Not really that funny really, I take it you don't read books at all. Even a novice reader would know that books and authors are regularly criticized and there are no exceptions for Roy no matter how hard the fan boys cry!

Do you often criticize books you have no interest in?

Kinda seems like a pointless excercise really, if there was no interest then it wouldn't even be worthy of critique surely?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    The only revolation to come from this is just how big a Keane Fanboy Kryogen is!

That is certainly no revelation (ignoring the awful term that is, fanboy of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Started it there at lunch time, got about 10% through it in 40 minutes, it must be incredibly short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Started it there at lunch time, got about 10% through it in 40 minutes, it must be incredibly short.

It's 225 pages or something. Meaning you read 22 pages in 40 minutes. Check out lightening joe over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it's much like Doyle's other work though, an easy read. You'd easily get through a Doyle book in an afternoon.

• Advertisement

For a man who preaches about preparation, here we are going into a crunch tie with Germany tomorrow night and yet the shadow of his book casts over us. Yep thats great preparation Roy.

Also, i think its a bit rich of him not being able to take Robbie Savage seriously for a harmless (albeit cringeworthy) message on his answering machine and yet its perfectly acceptable for him to waltz around looking like Ayatollah Khameini for the last few weeks.

And the Clive Clarke comment was utterly despicable

I think this Apres Match video sums him up the finest

Advertisement