Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane autobiography.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

yet its perfectly acceptable for him to waltz around looking like Ayatollah Khameini for the last few weeks.

You're so right, how dare he grow a beard, what a ****.

You're so right, how dare he grow a beard, what a ****.

Not just any beard though, he looked absolutely fúckin ridiculous to be honest.

Did he fail to take Savage seriously as a footballer over a harmless message on the answering machine? Yet this irony was lost on him when he looked a complete tit himself for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Did he fail to take Savage seriously as a footballer over a harmless message on the answering machine? Yet this irony was lost on him when he looked a complete tit himself for the last few weeks.

It's football not a fashion parade. Who gives a toss how he looks?

Mezcita wrote: »
    It's football not a fashion parade. Who gives a toss how he looks?

Normally i would be indifferent but i just think he's a bit of a hypocrite on this one thats all.

Who gives a toss what Robbie Savage said on his answering machine message either? Its football at the end of the day. Thats the point im trying to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

A mans beard should always beyond reproach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Normally i would be indifferent but i just think he's a bit of a hypocrite on this one thats all.

Who gives a toss what Robbie Savage said on his answering machine message either? Its football at the end of the day. Thats the point im trying to make.

Ok but Savage's actions and Keane's physical appearance are two separate things.

Savage has always come across as a bit of a clown and that seems to be confirmed when Keane tried to contact him. While Keane may have (to some) looked a bit strange with his crazy beard, you could hardly say that it detracted from his ability to coach/manage/ whatever.

Fellani had huge hair. Carlos Valderrama's was even bigger. Gervinho and Lescott have funny shaped heads. Does that mean that they can't be footballers?

The nonsense people come out with to further their agendas is priceless, keep it coming I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The only thing funnier than Keanes book is the butthurt it causes in people who don't like him.

And you know what, re the Clive Clarke thing, if people are honest they will admit that its just human nature to consider the personal ramifications of a tragedy that isn't connected to you, for instance when 9/11 happened I have no doubt more than a few people wondered if it would affect their holidays.

A man under pressure was privately relieved that another event, albeit tragic, took the heat off him for a short while. You can call that horrible and disgusting all you want but I bet billions of people have had private thoughts just like that at some point or another. The only difference is that Keane is comfortable enough to admit it.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Ok but Savage's actions and Keane's physical appearance are two separate things.

Savage has always come across as a bit of a clown and that seems to be confirmed when Keane tried to contact him. While Keane may have (to some) looked a bit strange with his crazy beard, you could hardly say that it detracted from his ability to coach/manage/ whatever.

Fellani had huge hair. Carlos Valderrama's was even bigger. Gervinho and Lescott have funny shaped heads. Does that mean that they can't be footballers?

Never suggested it affected their abilty :confused:

Just think Keane should be able to accept the quirkiness of other players if he has quirks of his own.
    The nonsense people come out with to further their agendas is priceless, keep it coming I say.
    The only thing funnier than Keanes book is the butthurt it causes in people who don't like him.

Ah now boys i think its yeer the ones getting a little tetchy here. I know Keane was a world class footballer and to be honest i actually enjoyed his punditry on ITV. Just think he is inclined to contradict himself on a few instances, this being one of them.

Keane may be able to speak his mind whenever he feels but id doubt if he agrees with many others when they are being as frank and as honest about him.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify i have nothing against beards. Wouldnt like the taliban style that seems to be taking off myself but each to their own :pac:

Keane is a walking bag of contradictions as someone pointed out on the thread already.

He's an entertaining walking bag of contradictions though.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Keane is a walking bag of contradictions as someone pointed out on the thread already.

Admittedly he is good for a few laughs. Was good on ITV too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just read the book.

Talk about OTT from people.

surprisingly enjoyed it.

Any Ex Irish international players books I have read have been pretty decent and some very good.

If you have never read Niall Quinn book its worth a read.

Quinns stories about Jack Charlton and Setters are very good especially the Video recording game from Bulgaria v Belgium I think it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

He's human so, the neck of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Got the book last week and still haven't had time to read it but from reading this thread it seems I should burn the book and shave off my beard???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Got the book last week and still haven't had time to read it but from reading this thread it seems I should burn the book and shave off my beard???

Only if you have a decent answer phone message and certainly not a hypocritical one,

If not, shave the book and burn off your beard!

Only if you have a decent answer phone message and certainly not a hypocritical one,

If not, shave the book and burn off your beard!

WTF? :mad: Does anyone actually bother reading posts anymore or do they just scan from a few feet away and jump to their own conclusions? :confused:

Thread is gone worse then after hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

RVD420 wrote: »
    He's a gentleman.
    He's a class act.
    He's a rebel, and he stands up to bullies!

If you are going to quote gutter journalists calling Roy Keane a tug, you can do it on your own.
    If youre going to call Niall Quinn Mother Theresa.
    You can do that on your own aswell.

And you know what, re the Clive Clarke thing, if people are honest they will admit that its just human nature to consider the personal ramifications of a tragedy that isn't connected to you, for instance when 9/11 happened I have no doubt more than a few people wondered if it would affect their holidays.

A man under pressure was privately relieved that another event, albeit tragic, took the heat off him for a short while. You can call that horrible and disgusting all you want but I bet billions of people have had private thoughts just like that at some point or another. The only difference is that Keane is comfortable enough to admit it.

That was his recent reaction in his latest book of stories justifying why he did this and that. And I agree that, while not great, it is understandable why one would react selfishly and look for how they benefit, even from a tragedy.

However, his reaction at the time, the "I'm shocked he has a heart" was just bad, it doesn't even have the excuse that he was thinking of the self serving angle, it was nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I became that utter w*nker and annoyed Roy Keane in the airport, walked into wh smiths had my book with me had to get him to sign it, little chat asked any chance of a pic "just hang on a sec" his minder told me to leave, gutted but the book is signed and I'm delighted. Didn't even say hello to wes or john o shea was in that sort of shock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You will be in the next book so. Or the bodyguards book. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Normally i would be indifferent

seems to me you are normally anything but indifferent to Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

'But he has a big beard, look at it!!'
    'But he condradicts himself sometimes!!'

lollingtons

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    'But he has a big beard, look at it!!'
    'But he condradicts himself sometimes!!'

lollingtons

"But he is honest"
    "But he is principled"

Lols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The more I read of this book, the more I think Keane is taking the piss in it, it's like himself and Doyle sat down and decided to do this book, but take the piss with it, there are some bizarre lines in it, like the part where he has a little dig at Vieira looking old. Weird, and obvious that Keane and Vieira hold absolutely no ill-will toward each other at all.

There were a few laugh out loud moments in it too.

A good read, but anyone taking it seriously needs to have take a long hard look at themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I've seen a good few people criticizing the timing of this book but if anything Keane has once more (like mourinho often gets praised for doing) taken some of the focus and therefore pressure off the teamas the mmedia are waffling on about his book instead of individual players. For example I'd much rather the media talk about Keane and Robbie savage than be Like the English media are with Rooney or Roy/Liverpool atm

Lukker- wrote: »
    A mans beard should always be beyond reproach.

Ay29K.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Read about 5 or 6 pages, surprise surprise he starts with the Haaland tackle. I had to stop reading after that. Please change the record Roy!

I did a quick search using the words fu@k and c@nt, I'm guessing the best bit of the book, this was very tame and the bad words were used for comical effect.

After that I looked at the pictures, my personal highlight.

This book has no other purpose than to improve Keanes public image that he's not some mad man on a rampage. Though it's funny he had no problem playing the part for the itv.

The book is extremely bland, I shan't be reading more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

You didnt ****ing read it so i'm afraid your opinion on it is utterly worthless.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    You didnt ****ing read it so i'm afraid your opinion on it is utterly worthless.

I read enough to give an opinion, come on like this line made an autobiography
    I enjoyed the trips to London, on the train. I enjoyed walking around London. My day in London was a bit of a treat for myself.

The book is just saying how well he gets on with everyone now and all that any time he did something crazy it had meaning.

It's a little dull, some parts I did laugh at like the Adrian chiles part, but from what I've read I'm not willing to invest my time into reading it.

Out of interest how did you like the book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I thought it was light reading to pass the time. I laughed a few times. Overall it was pretty forgettable as most footballers autobiographies are but it did make me like Keane a bit more. I had been holding a Saipan grudge but thats faded.

Just to reiterate though, your opinion on the book is literally worthless if you have not read it. I find it very annoying when people pass judgement on that which they do not know/ understand.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I thought it was light reading to pass the time. I laughed a few times. Overall it was pretty forgettable as most footballers autobiographies are but it did make me like Keane a bit more. I had been holding a Saipan grudge but thats faded.

Just to reiterate though, your opinion on the book is literally worthless if you have not read it. I find it very annoying when people pass judgement on that which they do not know/ understand.

I told you I've read a little bit of it, it was enough for me to form an opinion that the book wasn't for me, I've also read random paragraphs from the book and it was all very bland. I feel that I'm in a good enough position to pass judgement on this book based on What I did read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I told you I've read a little bit of it, it was enough for me to form an opinion that the book wasn't for me, I've also read random paragraphs from the book and it was all very bland. I feel that I'm in a good enough position to pass judgement on this book based on What I did read.

I'm glad I didn't stop at every boom I've read at 5 or 6 pages and tell everyone how bad it is...

Sure I watched the first 2 minutes of the Godfather the other day, was so bland, I feel like I can form these opinions based upon being ridiculously above everyone.

Liam O wrote: »
    I'm glad I didn't, stop at every boom I've read at 5 or 6 pages andy thought it was tell everyone how bad it is...

Sure I watched the first 2 minutes of the Godfather the other day, was so bland, I feel like I can form these opinions based upon being ridiculously above everyone.

I suggest you watch more of the Godfather, it's a terrific movie and worldwide credited as one of the best movies ever made.

Also go to the literature forum, many people say they've stopped reading a book because they thought it was boring or they didn't like the writers style, this is nothing new.

Should I read more or was I right and it's a completely forgettable novel?

• Advertisement

Read about 5 or 6 pages, surprise surprise he starts with the Haaland tackle. I had to stop reading after that. Please change the record Roy!

I did a quick search using the words fu@k and c@nt, I'm guessing the best bit of the book, this was very tame and the bad words were used for comical effect.

This book has no other purpose than to improve Keanes public image that he's not some mad man on a rampage. Though it's funny he had no problem playing the part for the itv.

Yeah, you read 5 or 6 pages of it so what makes you think your opinion is worth jack **** about it?

The arrogance you display is amusing though

I read enough to give an opinion, come on like this line made an autobiography

You gave an opinion before reading it, it was worth about the same as an opinion formed on reading 5 or 6 pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

You read 6 pages and say its bland ....lol
    How the fcuk can you pass judgement on the book then.
    I'm half way through the book and I'm enjoying it.

You read 6 pages and say its bland ....lol
    How the fcuk can you pass judgement on the book then.
    I'm half way through the book and I'm ejoying it.

I meant I read the first 5 or 6 pages, I then did word search for the words f@ck and cu@t, I also randomly picked pages and word searched some names like Ferguson etc, then I looked at the pictures. Personally I found it all very bland, in my humble opinion. I may also add that I'm not a fan of Roddy Doyle's writing, good for a funny anecdote but he is very poor story teller and isn't able to describe emotions that well, which I'm guessing is typical in this book.

Though I'm glad you're enjoying it, just not for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I haven't read the book either, but in my opinion it was brilliant, very insightful and I liked the way Keane came across.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'm heading off for a week in December, I'm keeping the book to read in the sun.
    For now I'll give it 9.5/10.

I haven't read the book either, but in my opinion it was brilliant, very insightful and I liked the way Keane came across.

I know your joking, but it really is very insightful in places, the whole restructuring of bonuses thing and the greater impact that has on the staff and their families etc was good, you would normally only think of the players and forget how important the extra few quid would be to staff members and their family. How it all feeds in to how a football club is, how the morale is affected by it and all that.

He is very honest in the book about his own failings (on his time at Ipswich, "My recruitment wasnt good enough. I have no excuses.") which I think is great to see form him. There are so many places he says he would have done something differently, or that he should have known he was going about something the wrong way, or even that he knew he had to change himself and grow up a bit in terms of who he wanted to surround himself with etc

Some obvious but important things too, like the need for big characters in a dressing room, you can have the talented players, but without a mix of characters also it would not reach its full potential, we can relate this even today to the current United team imo

His story about Priskin signing is hilarious for the wrong reasons! Would make you wonder about how transfers are conducted at some clubs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I meant I read the first 5 or 6 pages, I then did word search for the words f@ck and cu@t, I also randomly picked pages and word searched some names

Looks like we got ourselves a reader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I read this book in a couple of sittings last week. I found the early chapters very good, very entertaining, particularly the details of his "court" appearance over the Haaland issue and his eventual fallout with Ferguson.

I did find some of the later chapters a bit dull and run of the mill though, particularly the sections on his time at Ipswich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I had forgotten a lot about his united departure, I remembered it as him and Fergie having a big fight and Keane had to go.

In fact, he was 34, had a serious injury, couldn't play every match, and even when he did he couldn't get around the pitch like he used to.
    He was in big money, and talks hadn't even started on a new contract (if there was ever a possibility).

So he was going at the end of the season anyways, and he had a broken bone in his foot.
    Man united staff and Fergie would have been well aware of his medical situation.

Once he criticised Fergie on front of the players, it was a bit of a no-brainer to let him go ?

kryogen wrote: »
    I know your joking, but it really is very insightful in places, the whole restructuring of bonuses thing and the greater impact that has on the staff and their families etc was good, you would normally only think of the players and forget how important the extra few quid would be to staff members and their family. How it all feeds in to how a football club is, how the morale is affected by it and all that.

He is very honest in the book about his own failings (on his time at Ipswich, "My recruitment wasnt good enough. I have no excuses.") which I think is great to see form him. There are so many places he says he would have done something differently, or that he should have known he was going about something the wrong way, or even that he knew he had to change himself and grow up a bit in terms of who he wanted to surround himself with etc

Some obvious but important things too, like the need for big characters in a dressing room, you can have the talented players, but without a mix of characters also it would not reach its full potential, we can relate this even today to the current United team imo

His story about Priskin signing is hilarious for the wrong reasons! Would make you wonder about how transfers are conducted at some clubs :)

Tamás Priskin was at Watford, and available. The scouts were keen, and I watched him once, pre-season. He scored, played well – but it was a friendly. His contract was up in a year, and I thought he might be worth a punt. I think I mentioned a figure of £400,000 to the owner. I rang Malky Mackay, who was managing Watford. ‘Listen, Malky, I’m just giving you a heads-up. We’re interested in a player.’ I never spoke to other managers about a fee for a player; I never got involved. Malky goes, ‘Roy, I appreciate the call.’ I said, ‘I’m leaving it to the chief executive.’ I couldn’t believe it when I heard what we paid for him. I think it was £1,750,000. Watford couldn’t believe their luck. That was our lack of communication, the fact that the three of us never spoke together. Priskin wasn’t worth that money, but nobody had got back to me, to get my opinion.

Hilarious and insightful ?!?!:confused:

Strongly disagree

I thought you said earlier in the thread you had no interest in the book?

I thought you said earlier in the thread you had no interest in the book?

I think his interest in this thread, doesn't lie with the book, moreso the book's target audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

€23 quid for this in SuperValu is a bit steep.

Better value to be had in other retailers i presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I got it in tesco for around €16.

• Advertisement
Advertisement